Saturday, November 6, 2010

Know Your Friends


Do give books--religious or otherwise--for Christmas. They're never fattening, seldom sinful, and permanently personal. ~Lenore Hershey





Recently I received a book for my birthday. Now this was not just any old book. This was a book I had in my hands to purchase. It was on clearance at Hallmark--the only one. Eleanor saw the same book and told me about buying it. "I had that book in my hand, but told myself I didn't need it," I told her. When I pulled that book out of the gift bag I was so touched. (Given with a box of sugar free Russel Stover's chocolates was a bonus.) Not only did my friend remember our conversation, she gave up the book for me. Like Lenore Hershey said, Permanently personal.


We all know that the best gifts come from the heart. These gifts also come from listening. When I hear someone state a preference, I write it down in my journal (or on bulletins, slips of papers and offering envelopes) as soon as I can. I might forget that Katie loves *fudge, but my journal reminds me. Emma Jean sends out many cards... (good thinking-of-you gift...and sometimes it's fun to add stamps to the envelopes)... Connie likes Bath and Body Works' moonlight path scent... Ken likes nuts and my pumpkin roll.



And likewise, Lorna knows my delight in beautiful goblets, Renae remembers my love of all things scented for my home -- and Tazo tea, and Matilda supports my craving for 12-egg angel food cake. Last year when Emily was overwhelmed with a full schedule, Janelle surprised her with a day book. It wasn't just a lucky guess that these women gave personal gifts. They were listening, caring and remembering. I am so blessed.

Julia remembers the day a new friend brought her a bag of mint sandwich cookies to church. She said, "A sweet lady came into church this morning and gave me a big hug then handed me a bag of mint sandwich cookies. What really touched me about this gift of kindness is the fact that this lady had not been attending our church very long. I'm not sure how she even knows that I love, love, love mint sandwich cookies. Somewhere along the line I must have told the ladies about my cookie love. But it feels so good to be loved and have some desire to know me enough to pay attention to the details." Know your friends!

How like our Best Friend who gives us good gifts daily. Underserving gifts. Good and perfect gifts. Our sweet Landon is in a wedding this afternoon, pulling two little girls in a wagon. His older brother stood watching him open a gift from the bride and groom. "I have an idea, Landon. We could share it." Landon will share, as should we. When God gives good things to us, it is our responsibility--and yes, our joy--to share with others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*I used the knowledge of Katie's love of fudge to make these fudge hearts. Just pour your fudge on a cookie sheet and cut out with a cookie cutter. Since it was a bridal shower I added the pink icing flowers.

I wanted to show you a project out of the book Eleanor gave me. I set out to find a teacup and saucer but didn't find one I liked. This china Ooh la la cup caught my eye. Such a fun cup. The spoon is pewter colored and at the top of the handle has a band of embossed silver. The cost of the gift? $5.25 plus cookies. I used Amish Sugar cookies because I was making them for another gift.


Amish Sugar Cookies
1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup margarine
1 cup oil
2 eggs
41/2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt

In large mixing bowl, cream sugars, margarine, oil and eggs together. Sift dry ingredients together, then add to creamed mixture. Blend well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes about six dozen.  


  

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Pamela, I really like that quote about giving books for gifts! And you're so right - listening to& noting to peoples' comments is a wonderful way to be a thoughtful "gifter"! Your fudge looks SO delicious - and I would NEVER have thought of cutting it into a shape.

Esther Asbury said...

I'm really enjoying your new blog!
I entertain quite a bit during a years time and I love giving little gifts to guests/family/friends! Finding unique/special ways to do it is even more fun!
I too have place I jot down people's likes AND their dislikes to! It helps to ensure that I don't accidentally serve orange juice to a friend who doesn't like orange flavored drinks, or put bananas in my fruit salad when I have banana "hating" guests.
Keep up the good work ---- Esther A.

Kim M. said...

You all (R.B. too!) are so good at this. I will never forget the encouraging notes,the small gifts, and the little congratulation teddy bear when I announced my first pregnancy. It meant so much to me to know you cared. Hearing I was doing a good job teaching at the school made me all the more encouraged to try even harder. Thank you, and thank you for the gift ideas! It's a good time for them. ;-)

Lili said...

How creative you are! These gifts are truly special and this is such a wonderful reminder that sometimes with a little creativity it doesn't take too much effort to show someone how much they mean to you. Beautiful sentiments in here. ~Lili