Monday, November 1, 2010

Feeling at Home--Away from Home


All that this world knows of living lies in giving--and more giving;
He that keeps, be sure he loses--Friendship grows by what it uses. ~Alexander MacLaren


One of my highest marks after taking the Five Love Languages Test is in "Receiving Gifts." Combine this with the fact that my mother, along with her mother, feel the same about receiving gifts and you will see that I get a bit excited about, well, gifts. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that I feel others should enjoy receiving gifts.

Whenever guests stay overnight, I always enjoy making sure they feel welcome, at home and extra special. Making sure they have their own note and gift on their bed helps me get this point across. Take a look at the gift that welcomed our most recent company.

Since it is fall (and our house is surrounded by trees and fallen leaves), choosing a theme was a no-brainer. A little twine and a couple fake leaves (hole punched) helped to complete this look. I also had some handmade coffee-stained gift cards left from last year that I used for the note. Shawn's Aunt Regina---who, I might add, is incredibly talented in making you feel special with her own ideas you'll find at their Serenity Log Cabins, was so thrilled about her gift. I wasn't on the receiving end of the actual material gift, but being the recipient of the kind words and hearing the excitement in her voice as she thanked me--that was a gift to me.

So I will leaf you with this challenge: Fall into giving with me! And for those who appreciate optimism I will go ahead and add--Thanks for giving!

Other "gift on the bed" ideas:

Bottled water and Granola Bars

Color-coordinated Goodies--Box of Milk Duds for parents (yellow box) and Rubber Duckies for small children, wrapped with multiple colors of curly ribbon.



Suggestions:
  • You can never go wrong with CANDY for the men...the ladies love socks, candles, lotion, magazines, etc.
  • Target has the fabulous Dollar Spot which is great for this kind of gift giving.


6 comments:

Kim M. said...

:-) Great ideas, Melanie!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Melanie!

CALISTA said...

Love the ideas! Thanks!

Kristina Clemens said...

How well I know what a little R&R at your house can do for the soul! New follower here! Are you gonna share your decorating wisdom and insight,'cuz I always told my mom, "Melanie should have an interior decorating blog!" People would eat it up! =)
Kristina J.

Lorna said...

Very nice, Melanie!! When we pastored, I didn't have a guest room, so I kept a "room in a basket" ready to sit on the bed. I filled it with anything I thought they might find useful or FUN for the stay! My reward was the same as yours...exuberant thanks and the knowledge that I made my guests happy and at home! You are awesome and I wish we lived further away so that I could come and STAY!!

Beth Stetler said...

Love your ideas! Great blog!