Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gifting Books


That is a good book that is opened in expectation and closed in profit. ~Amos Bronson Alcott


Do you think there's any gift better than a book? I'm sure some of you would give me varying answers. If Steve, Janene or Jeren are reading this, then the answer would be, "Books are the best." But I also know others whose eyes glaze over when books are mentioned. It's easy to tell who the book lovers are because they get the small talk over within one sentence so the book discussion can begin. I like to collect book people: I see Phoebe at Emily's volleyball games and she's always reading something interesting. I get to discuss John Maxwell, Zig Zigler and Tony Dungee's books with Scott. Lorna and Renee read novels and although I don't read many novels, I love hearing them talk about them and even sometimes get interested enough to read one. Steve loves Henri Nouwen and the same thriller authors I like. Jeren gets tired of authors about the same time I do and it's off to find a new favorite.
Some days Francine Rivers is my favorite, while other times I'm devouring Beth Moore or Ravi Zacharias. After talking to Carisa, I come home and dig out my copy of Jane Austin's Jane Eyre. Then my mother brings me a tiny book on hope and I sit and let the quotations speak to me.
Right now by my chair I have quite a range of reading material:
And yes, I'm reading all of them. A wide range of reading material keeps our minds fresh and ready to absorb the ideas from others. It also helps us critique the writings and see if they measure up to God's standard. Maybe there is a statement in one I don't agree with and can discard, then read on to discover pages of truth to feed my soul.
If you are wondering what a post on books has to do with Sheltering, I assure you, it does. Books shelter ME! After Sarah died I read everything on grief that I could get my hands on. Safety Zones by Elizabeth Ruth Skoglund was invaluable as I learned to shut of the tapes running in my mind and find a safe place. I also was able to shelter another young woman who worried something would happen to her husband (and would run the scenarios through her mind).

I guess this has been a long introduction to say that from time to time we will show you what we are reading. Maybe you know of someone the books will help, or maybe you need a bit of sheltering yourself.




The flyleaf of Women of a Generous Spirit (Lois Mowday Rabey) says, "Thankfully, becoming a woman of a generous spirit is not about achieving an unattainable ideal or copying someone else's behavior. Rather, it comes from a relationship in which we encounter and get to know God from within. The result is the spilling over of life-giving love that changes us and allows us to touch others with the love of God." The book is very practical and easy to read.

Melanie is reading Growing Grateful Kids: Teaching them to appreciate an extra-ordinary God in ordinary places by Susie Larson. This book was just released in March and already has received rave reviews. Gary Chapman wrote in the introduction, "What you read in this book may bring tears, will certainly spark smiles, and most importantly will give you ideas to help you become the responsible mother you want to be. I predict you will become a better person and a better parent by reading and applying the principles shared in Growing Grateful Kids.

Emily loves to read, but doesn't get much reading time during the school year. For Principles of Godly Living class she is reading the book You Can Make a Difference by Tony Campolo. She had us laughing at dinner last night relating an illustration that reminded her of RB. To quote the back of the book, "Tony Campolo challenges young people to move beyond good intentions and set a course for a lifetime of spiritual adventure. Instead of settling for half-hearted conformity, you can embrace life and become the world-changing person God created you to be."



Morgan just loves being read to. She likes to turn the pages--sometimes before you are finished reading the page. One book I like to read to her (because it's MY favorite) is Max Lucado's Small Gifts in God's Hands. Cheri Bladholm is the illustrator, so you know the artwork is amazing. This book never fails to bring me to tears. As someone said, "Good children's literature appeals not only to the child in the adult, but to the adult in the child."

6 comments:

~katie~ said...

Lovely blog you have here! What a great list of books to devour! Thanks so much for your encouraging comment on my blog too ~ stop by anytime! Blessings to you!

Everyday Sparkles said...

Thanks for your sweet comment. Made my day.

Oooh how I love books. Reading a sad, yet sweet one now. It's on my blog. Thanks for sharing your favorites.

Kim M. said...

Books are wonderful. I have a huge pile I am reading: Parenting, farming books, home education.
Yet I think even more than reading for my own leisure, I enjoy reading to my kids. By the way, we just finished that very Max Lucado book!

Rebecca said...

I'm a reader, too! While at "our" bed and breakfast in Charm last week, I handled a paperback book called "Stepping Heavenward" by E. Prentiss. (Apparently a Christian class???) I THOUGHT it was an actual journal from the 1800's. I determined to find myself a personal copy to read. In the search, I've discovered it is a "fictional" journal, and so am not so "hot on the trail" to locate a copy. (Have YOU read it?)

I don't read a lot of fiction (although there are a few fiction writers that I read as soon as their latest books come out...).

The one about Mrs. Oswald Chambers sounds interesting...and I'm a huge Henri Nouwen "fan"...

Rebecca said...

Make that "a Christian classIC".

Steven said...

The only thing better than getting a book is getting more than one book! :-) Interesting that you're reading Walden. Just downloaded it to my nook recently so I could read it myself. We'll have to discuss sometime. Can also discuss "Full Dark, No Stars" if you want to read that one. :-D