Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gifted Hands, Grateful Hearts


Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful!




One word to describe my husband would be giving. Just like my Granddad, Shawn's occupation is not one of being a pastor, song evangelist, Sunday School Teacher, etc., so he is quickly categorized as a layman.  My mom always told me we needed both types of people in the body of Christ -- those who told others about God and those who were able to help support the needs of the church to help the Gospel reach the ones we call others.

Shawn's business requires all sorts of gadgets/ tools/
vehicles.  His friends are quite aware of this, so it's common for them to request to borrow things.  (He also relies on others for some of the items he doesn't have, so it works both ways.)

A couple months ago, Shawn hadn't been feeling well and had never made it to our woods to cut wood for our wood stove. Imagine Shawn's surprise when he came home from a hunting trip to find a huge (and I mean huge) stack of wood ready to be used! DeWayne, who has been able to chop and use some of "our" wood (it's obvious from the wooded area behind our home that we have plenty!) wanted to say "Thanks" by lending of his time, energy and knowledge of wood cutting. He also recruited the help of his brother-in-law, Steve, and his two boys.






      Wow! My husband was overwhelmed. Such a gift couldn't have come at a better time. We save so much money by using a wood stove and Shawn hadn't had time, well, I already told you how wonderful this was for our family.

In responding to them with a letter of thanks, I tried to express appreciation from the whole Clemens Clan. These men/boys had preformed this huge task of random (specific!) kindness for my husband, but when there's a husband....there's a wife...and probably  kids(!) -- so we all were on the receiving end!

Cocoa Party


And since the "weather outside is frightful," thanks to friends who lent a hand, "our fire is so delightful," and we can truly say, "...let is snow, let it snow, let it snow!"

10 comments:

Lisa said...

What a wonderful gift of kindness. If only everyone could be as giving. That cocoa party looks like a fun way to keep warm during the winter. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. By the way, I'm holding a giveaway on my blog for Orglamix Organic makeup and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/12/orglamix-organic-mineral-makeup-review.html

Rebecca said...

That "warms" my heart :) How beautiful--the body of Christ.

Treat and Trick said...

Timely gift! You're so lucky to be surrounded by such a generous soul. Thanks for stopping by my site, hope you will give it a try and let me know the outcome ya..

Kim M. said...

How nice of them! Love your pictures!

scrappysue said...

he's a keeper! i love random acts of kindness - thanks for stopping by!

Michelle said...

that is so thoughtful !! thank you for the kind words on my cousin.

Felicia said...

What amazing friends!! Lovin your kids all cozied up to the fire! That is Graham's favorite place :)

Town and Country House said...

When we lived in Florida and my husband's job required him during hurricanes (!), we had several friends who came by to remove debris (big trees) to enable the children and me to leave our house. They were definitely the hands and feet of Christ to us! Thanks for stopping by Town and Country Mom! I'm so happy to have found your blog as well.

Bargain Hoot said...

What a blessing to have the friends you do....
I love the cocoa party ...sooo cute!!
Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comment! I'm a new follower :)

Maria Matter said...

Hi Pamela!
You have a lovely blog! So many beautiful stories of blessings in your life! Thank you for sharing!
God Bless!
Merry Christmas!