Friday, December 31, 2010

Sheltering the Sorrowful

When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand.  ~Henri Nouwen



Grief is individual.  No one can go through your grief for you.  However, they can go through the pain with you. 

In the last part of 2010, we lost two people we loved.  In November, Linda Rich, who had battled leukemia for eleven years went to Heaven. Linda was so loved by our church family.  She was an inspiration; each time her leukemia recurred she surrendered sweetly to the will of God. 

We miss Linda, but we grieve with Melinda, her daughter.  They were so close, and Linda's grandchildren were her life.

On the Monday before Christmas we lost our friend and family member, John Cherry.  John was RB's childhood friend.  They played with Matchbox cars under a tree during our church conferences and camps in the summer.  They roomed together at Bible College, were in each other's weddings (John married my cousin), and graduated together. 

At 55, John seemed too young to die.  He had a ministry with internationals and was a great family man.  We ask, "Why?" --  the same question we asked when my brother-in-law went to Heaven two years ago.  Young, a pastor of a thriving church, team teaching with my sister in Marriage Matters Seminars.  Why?  We don't know, but we do know God is good.  He's good when life is cheated.  And God is good when death comes.

I proved that when we lost our daughter, Sarah, in a house fire.  And His people, like the Nouwen quote, "shared our pain and touched our wounds with warm and tender hands."  It was our physical family, our church family, and the family of believers who shared our pain.  Cards and checks filled our mailbox, our phone rang often, and people showed they cared in so many ways:

Daddy and Sarah Janene

Beth wrote, including this song,
  1. Day by day, and with each passing moment,
    Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
    Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
    I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
    He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
    Gives unto each day what He deems best—
    Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
    Mingling toil with peace and rest.
  2. Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
    With a special mercy for each hour;
    All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
    He Whose Name is Counselor and Pow’r.
    The protection of His child and treasure
    Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
    “As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”
    This the pledge to me He made.
  3. Help me then in every tribulation
    So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
    That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation
    Offered me within Thy holy Word.
    Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
    E’er to take, as from a father’s hand,
    One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
    Till I reach the promised land.
This song is still special to me.  Others brought clothes and toys for our Melanie, platter after platter of food was delivered, and many cried with us. Vonnie kept track of all the calls, food deliveries and little details so we would know who offered love and concern.  Our best friends took us in until our home could be rebuilt.  It was the little things that "touched our wounds with warm and tender hands."

One of the special acts of love was given to us by our friend Jim.  He took pictures of each memorial floral arrangment.  Quite frankly, I didn't remember many of the flowers.  I remember the local library sent one, and I recall seeing one by Carol and her girls.  With Jim's sweet gift, I was able to see each arrangment.  He ordered double prints (way before digital days) so I could keep one and include the other in my thank-you cards. 

The plants and silk arrangements we were able to take home with us were special and I still use one of them today -- 23 years later.  In light of those, I try to make my gifts of sympathy something that can be cherished -- A silk arrangement in a teapot for a friend who lost her mother, a Bible verse or saying on a wooden plaque or flowers in a special chest that can be used later to store memories.  Be creative.  I've found if you call a Bible Book Store in the town where the funeral home is located, they will deliver something even if it's not a normal service they offer. 


It's sheltering, giving a bit more time, a bit more of our resources, a bit more of our heart.  We can be the one God uses -- to help others feel "Every day the Lord Himself  is near me, with a special mercy for each hour..."


9 comments:

Mary said...

Thank you for sharing all of that. I have friends (blog ones and personal ones) who have lost husbands and they are grieving.

Rebecca said...

Pamela, How helpful and practical your suggestions are! My husband conducted the memorial service for the father of a gentleman in our church just this week The deceased had no church of his own. What a support the people of God are in times of grief (as you noted).

I so loved seeing the picture of your Sarah. Bless you heart. I wonder if sadness STILL doesn't come as you remember her and the circumstances of her death.

Wishing you (and yours) a blessed New Year. I look forward to more interchange throughout 2011.

Oh! Thanks for reviving my music memory, too. I realized that I still can quote/sing all those verses of Day by Day! Just haven't heard it for a long, long time...

CHERI said...

Pamela, I'm so sorry for your losses, especially the loss of your child. Having lost our daughter in 1986 unfortunately adds me to the club that none of us wish we were members of...the club for parents who have lost a child. There are far too many of us in this club and I so wish we could close the membership records and no one else would be allowed to join. Your faith is so strong and your sweet Christian heart shows through your writings. Thanks so much for reminding me how great God is...I sometimes get lost in my hurts and sorrows and forget. Thanks so much for dropping by my blog. Please come by anytime. Sure hope 2011 is filled with many blessings and much joy for you and your family.

Lorna said...

I remember my 'year of losses'....first, Ken's father, to a very severe heart attack. Two month's later, our brother-in-law, Dave, to congestive heart failure...such a senseless death for one so young! The my OWN daddy two months after that to leukemia! We were pastoring at the time and not a single person stepped forward to help ease our pain! It was horrible and made me very aware of the great need to cherish someone else during their times of sorrow!

Christine said...

Pamela, I wanted to visit you to say thank you for visiting blog. Your words of encouragement were a kindness to my heart.

I love the hymn you quoted in this post, especially these words:

He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best

He has deemed this back pain as His best for my life currently. It is for His glory! And I can rest in that.

Thank you again for your kind words!

Blessings,
Christine

Kim M. said...

Thank you for the ideas, Pam. It's hard to know how to help others sometimes.

Christa said...

Thanks for another wonderful post. I'm a pastor's wife, and we deal with a lot of hurting people. I always struggle with the best way to comfort the grieving, and you've given me some excellent ideas. Thank you so much!

kimberley said...

even in your comment on my blog, you provided shelter to a hurting heart. thank you so much, pamela...for reaching out, giving of a few moments of your time and sharing the pain of losing your own precious daughter.

thank you seems so small, but i truly am.

blessings on you in this coming year.

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Hi Pamela, Thanks for visiting me at my blog. I read the post about your daughter which led me to this post. I'm just coming from the funeral of my friend's husband. The loss is tremendous as you know, but God is evident in all of it. And the outpouring of love and support helps keep loved ones going. Thanks for your ideas here. I'm sorry about your precious daughter and can only imagine the heartache. ~ Abby