Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Reflective Sheltering







When the Spirit fills us, we are transformed, and by beholding God, we become mirrors.  Oswald Chambers



Can we shelter by reflecting  the life of Jesus and mirroring His character?    It should be the goal of each of us to reflect Christ as we shelter.  If I shelter with resentment, does the one I shelter feel love?  If I shelter with impatience does the one I shelter feel peaceful?  If I shelter with obligatory giving does the one I shelter feel joyous?  


Typing these words remind me of something Paul wrote to the Corinthians.  If I gave everything I have to the poor...I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.  It's not just in sheltering that we spread love, joy and peace.  It's our attitude while doing these acts of shelter.

How did Jesus shelter the leper?  He touched him with gentle kindness.  How did Jesus shelter Martha when her brother died?  He cried with her.  Jesus sheltered the widow giving her only coins by bragging on her and the woman caught in adultery with a second chance.  He offered love, kindness, loyalty and peace. He changed lives.  And if our shelter is going to change lives, then we need to reflect His character. 


When one of my daughters was young (I'm protecting the guilty), she loved watching herself in the mirror.  Whether she was singing, playing the piano or talking to an imaginary friend, she watched her reflection.  She didn't want other family members to observe this practice -- She wanted to be alone. The best way I've found to be a reflection of Christ is to be "shut in with Him."  I found these beautiful lyrics but couldn't find the name of the author.


SHUT IN WITH GOD

Shut in with God in a secret place;
There in the Spirit beholding His face;
Gaining more power to run in the race,
Oh, how I long to be shut in with God.

Shut in with God while kneeling in prayer,
Finding His beauty and glory there....
I bow in wonder at His awesome grace,
As He shuts me in His holy place.

As I'm shut in with God, my strength is renewed,
I soar like a eagle, I'm born anew...
O the wonder! O the grace!
As I'm shut in with God
in this holy place! 

As we shut ourselves in with God, We all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image (2 Corinthians 3:18).



Oswald Chambers said, "The greatest characteristic a Christian can exhibit is this completely unveiled openness before God, which allows that person’s life to become a mirror for others. When the Spirit fills us, we are transformed, and by beholding God we become mirrors. You can always tell when someone has been beholding the glory of the Lord, because your inner spirit senses that he mirrors the Lord’s own character."

I want to spend time this week shut up with God...to rejoice in the wonder, to glory in the grace...to be a reflection of Him so my sheltering will produce love, joy and peace.




27 comments:

Charlotte said...

I would like to spend time shut up with God also..."hidden in the secret place of His presence."

What a beautiful post you wrote and so very true.

May His love and character be seen in all we do!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela - I think I too am going to spend some time shut in with God. I have family and friends in and out for the balance of the week and I want them to see Jesus - not me stressing.
Great post
God bless
Tracy

Esther Asbury said...

Love the lyrics you posted here ... Shut in with God. It really does make a difference in how we go about our day when we take time alone with Him.
Funny you should mention the mirror watching of your daughter -- mine does the same thing - I always thought it was because she was an only child - guess not!
Thanks for another beautiful/thought provoking post!

magsmcc said...

Pamela, this happens to me sometimes- I race over to someone's blog when they have had the undiscerning grace to say nice things about mine, all ready to type up my glib and pithy comment, and am invariably floored, completely, by the profound sense of order and wisdom that I find there! I need to be shut away in your blog for the rest of the evening, I think. Nonetheless, thank you for visiting the Land of the (sometimes) Tearful Strawberries- not a place to want to live in at all, I imagine! But do call again, there will always be tea on the go and some ridiculous story to recount. I rely on other bloggistes for the insight and wisdom!

Honey at 2805 said...

Thanks you, Pamela. I need more "shut in" time.

Kelly said...

I am shut in with God right now.

Thanks for visiting my blog and becoming a follower.

Laura said...

THank you for joining Footloose and Fancy Free-following you GFC:) Have a great weekend:)

Laura
www.agoddessoffrugality.com

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. I love all the thoughts on sheltering and on the Savior. The quote and poem were lovely.
Thanks for your comments on my blog.
Blessings to you!
Living Waters by LeAnn

Anna said...

This is beautiful... being "shut in" with God, and the ways we can learn from Jesus how he sheltered others-- and to reflect the same. This blessed me immensely. Thank you!

i'm allowed to dream said...

Lovely post! Glad that you found me, I look forward to reading your posts from now on! Have a lovely weekend! :)

Babs said...

Nice inspirational post. I needed that. :)
Thanks for stopping by my blog with sweet comments.
Babs

no spring chicken said...

To be honest Pamela, sometimes I avoid mirrors. I'm not happy when I look and all I see is me. Then there are the times that I look and am amazed that I like what I see. These are the times that I am reflecting Him... Wonderful post.

Blessings, Debbie

Anita Johnson said...

The comments say it all, but I too wish to be shut in with God. Sometimes that is exactly my prayer...Lord please help me to concentrate on you, to remove all distractions around me. Thank you, Pam for taking the time to put this post together.

Sharon said...

Pamela, This was beautiful. Things have been rather hectic in my life this week, and I need to withdraw into that quiet place with the Lord. I need Him to speak to me in a sheltering place. I want to feel His kindness...

GOD BLESS!

Georgia said...

I recently bought a Sunday School Songs CD for my two year old and your post made me think of a Sunday School song I had never heard growing up. "Peter and Paul went to pray, they met a blind man on the way, he asked for alms and held out his palms and this is what Peter did say. Silver and gold have I not, but such as I give to you, in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. He went walking and leaping an praising God..."

Awesome song and awesome post! Check out our new meme called Give Back Thursdays, you posts would be awesome on there!

http://georgiascookiejar.blogspot.com/p/give-back-thursday.html

Pat said...

Beautiful words - being shut in with God can mean many things...for me quietly working in the gardens with my thoughts and mind opened brings such a sense of peace.

Anonymous said...

Shut in with God. I love that. And I so need that today. How come we let everything else come in before that precious time? I have be purposeful about my time. And I need to do it today! Thanks for the lovely post.

Tabitha said...

Very true! Thanks for sharing. One of my favorite hymns to sing in church. "How I long to be shut in with God!"

Nikki (Sarah) said...

the words to shut in with God....so true....When I run alone in the woods...His whisper in my heart reminds me He's got everything under control

Pitterle Postings said...

I love the idea of being shut in with God. I think of the lessons we learn and the things we are taught by reading His words and reflecting on how they can touch our lives. Love the ideas here today. Thank you for sharing.

Diane said...

I totally agree. I hope you have a blessed day Ÿ

dtbrents said...

I have practiced this nearly all my life. I like to spend at least 8 hrs a day in Bible study and prayer. When I'm not doing that I'm thinking about the Lord and praying little prayers. I enjoyed your post very much. When I'm blogging I'm listening to to the audio Bible.

Olga Poltava said...

This is a beautiful and inspirational post. Thank you Pamela.

Holly said...

Beautiful!

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Pamela, what a nice post to reflect on. Your daughter portrays it beautifully. Your blog is a mirror to your character and love for the Lord. Thank you for offering such a warm and comforting place to visit. ~ Abby

Unknown said...

Very Inspirational! I am now following you from the hop and would love a follow back at
http://mizzreviewlady-mommyreviews.blogspot.com/
I currently have 19 giveaways listed on my sidebar so be sure to check them out if you would like.
Have a great weekend! xoxoxo

About a Mom said...

Hi! I am a new follower from Follow Friday hop! So glad I found your blog! I need to spend more time shut-in with God. I pray that others will see Christ not through my actions or appearance but through my heart. Please stop by http://aboutamom.com to say hi & return follow! :)