Saturday, September 3, 2011

Thirsting for Abundant Life



No heart is too dry for His touch. ~Max Lucado

I've been struggling today -- trying to write a blog that usually writes itself.  I started several, put them on the back burner for later because they just don't seem right.  And then God just plops a new book (released August 30th) into my lap and there it was -- my topic.  As with so many of my posts, I write where God is speaking to me.


Mark Hall, lead singer for Casting Crowns, wrote "The Well: Why Are So Many Still Thirsty?"  I'm having a hard time putting this book -- er, Kindle -- down.  Hall asks the question, "Why are so many so close to the Well and still so thirsty?" After telling the powerful story of the Woman at the Well and her encounter with Jesus, the chapters deal with the "wells" we go to -- success, talent, control, favor, religion -- instead of drinking thirstily and consistently in the well of God.  And in doing so, our thirst is never quite quenched.


As believers we do the right things.  We read our Bibles, pray, go to church several times a week.  But in between, instead of finding our identity in the well of God, we dip in other holes.  The first  hole is control.  How many times do we tell God exactly how to work out our "situations?"  Instead of living abundant life, we settle for life.  We fill our bucket from the well of control, leaving no room for the miracle God would like to perform. 

That's as far as I've read -- more than enough for food for thought -- and prayer.  God's well holds so much more than salvation.   It holds abundant life -- the life I thirst for.  If you are thirsty, come to The Well.

Like the woman at the well, I was seeking
For things that could not satisfy;
And then I heard my Savior speaking:
“Draw from My well that never shall run dry.”
 




28 comments:

Saleslady371 said...

It's the life I thirst for too. Going to the well with you! Have a safe holiday weekend.

Joan Hall said...

Sounds like a great book. I also thirst...

Blessings,
Joan

Rebecca said...

I look forward to hearing more from this book, Pamela. It IS a good question and hopefully points many to the Water - not just the well.

KimMalk said...

I suppose more directly put, the other "wells" would be idolatry--I can't seem to get past the 1st commandment, Pamela. Blessings, Kim

Annesphamily said...

This was very well written. Sometimes you just need to find the right topic. I enjoyed stopping by today. Blessings to you! Anne

Leslie said...

wow ~ touching.
Have a great weekend.

Jan Hennings said...

This looks like a great read.. :)
Love uplifting and inspiring books.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela - I really love the title of that book - "thirsting for abundant life? Visit the well" Amen
God bless
Tracy

Cheryl said...

Wonderful, well written, post.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Blessing honey. I so enjoyed reading your wonderful post today.
Hope your doing well.
Love
Maggie

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for the Sandwich Generation said...

I love Casting Crowns encouraging praise and worship hymn songs and music. How interesting to find out about this book. Thank you for sharing about it. :)

Anonymous said...

Dearest Pamela....oh, what a beautiful blog ~ and I love your writing....I was so captured from the first few lines. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and comment...I am so grateful and appreciative!! God has certainly given you the gift of words and speaking His truth!! Count me in as a Pamela Blog Follower ~ I am excited about perusing through your archives. Thank you for the wonderful, nourishing, uplifting reading....Much love and many, many blessings!!!

Gayle said...

That sounds like a great book. I love the concept, that even "religion" can take us from the true water. Something to ponder, how many times do we go to others instead of to the one who will satisfy.

Vilisi said...

Hello Pamela. As always I am always glad I visited your blog. Abundant life ....

Katya kate said...

This is such a wonderful book. It's a good reminder for us to go for the thirst quenching well than with these temporary earthly wells that surround us. Great post!

Kate
http://mommygrowingup.blogspot.com/

Charlotte said...

Great insight. We do like to sample different wells even when we know where the real water is located. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Nikki (Sarah) said...

What a great image of being so close to the well and yet not getting enough to fill that thirst.....It makes me think of so many things. Another awesome post....

Amy Sullivan said...

So you are a Kindle girl too? Sigh. I'm so behind the times. Thanks for the book lead.

Cathy said...

Thanks for sharing about the book, Dear. A beautiful post ~

Unknown said...

We are thirsty because we try to find nourishment from our tangible idols. I'm in the process of casting them down. Not an easy process, but I'm tired of not being satisfied. I want Jesus.

Connie said...

Ah Kindle...I love the feel of books (live in a small cabin and books are friends I share it with).

I think a Kindle will be purchased before I take another plane trip--lugging a suitcase full of books is cumbersome in my old age.

"God's well holds so much more than salvation." Such vibrant truth, yet we pass by the well too often.

Karen said...

The well "that never shall run dry"! amen

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Sounds like a good book.Thanks for sharing.It looks like He provided the post that was meant to be.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness I cannot believe I have not yet heard about that book. SO True! SO many thirsty souls that come to sit at the Well but they Never take a drink, they are too busy getting quick fixes from other sources! I have GOT to read this book. Love this Post!

Stacie said...

Oh yes, I am surely guilty of filling my bucket from the well of control!

Laura said...

This sounds like a wonderful read, Pamela. I have heard Mark Hall speak a couple times and his passion is so moving. And as far as the struggling? I"m going through a bit of that myself lately. I'll pray for you, if you pray for me! Love to you, sweet friend. :)

Anna @ path of treasure said...

This does sound like a wonderful book, thanks for sharing it. Dipping in the well of control... offers much to ponder.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Tonight, I am thirsty.

(I am also old enough to know the song at the end.)

Fondly,
Glenda