Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sheltering--South Africa Style



“…While in Africa, I found out some things. One of them being we are blessed with “things”. And another being that “things” don’t make people happy….”                                  ~Scott Clemens




“Oh, my God is enough – He’s proved it o'er and  o'er – He’s never known to fail – His power still prevails! Down through the tests of time – God’s people always find – Whatever life may bring – God is enough!” That beautiful chorus was met with harmonious voices lifted in song at the beginning of a small South African group of believers during home prayer meeting.

Should I sing those same words here in America?  Do I need to sing those same words? Can I sing those words? I believe the answer is a resounding “YES!”

May I dare say that it is difficult for me to sing those words with conviction here in the USA because I have it “easy.”  Now I would not wish to bring trials/testing upon myself, but upon seeing how blessed I am where I live right now, I want God to continually keep my focus on Him – everything was His to begin with, and He has entrusted us to enjoy many blessings while living here –

  • My home is cozy and structurally sound as opposed to some we saw in Africa.
  • We have it easy -- with nice churches and comfy pews. These children (in photo) sit on a "tarp pew" for their special service every Saturday.
  • Our financial situations may be declining in America, but we are blessed with an abundance of food.  Limited supplies are replenished to provide meat for these families (US visitors hunting photo).

Perhaps God proves to us His power in ways different from those living in a poorer country --  BUT, He is God there. He is God here. He is all they need and all we need. He will not fail and will never run out of power to keep us in the good times and bad.

Our mission trip to South Africa was phenomenal. 10 days, 17,000 miles, 17 hours of flight time (each way) and hours spent traveling place to places to view God’s beauty. This group consisted of my husband and me, his father, his brother and sister along with their spouses and a high school student from our Christian Day School. It was packed with amazing sightseeing of numerous animals – most just feet away. We helped spruce up a school/church campground and were privileged to go hunting to supply meat for the six African pastors connected to the conference. (Yes, yours truly shot her first animal from the back of a [non-moving] truck in the open fields of South Africa!)

This video clip will give you a little journaling of our time spent in South Africa.  You'll want your sound on.


                        

Linked to:

Spiritual Sundays
Soli Deo Gloria
Playdates with God
Think on These Things

12 comments:

Glenda said...

Thank you for a moving reminder that God is enough! I read the Scripture in Deut. recently where Moses reminds the people not to forget God when they are living in plenty.

Tracy said...

WOW! what a fantastic trip and I'm in such awe...we take things for granted so often and well, it's unfortunate! Thanks for sharing your trip as well as the reminders that life is good!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Videos like this one are so helpful in remembering and praying for folks in far away places and different cultures. It was so special to see and be able to share in your time there.

Thank you for linking to ToTT
Kindly, Lorraine

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Hello Melanie, These people are so happy with less, while we moan for more.. Their homes are terrible, yet they thank god and appreciate. We have much to learn. God bless you for your love to them.

Unknown said...

What an amazing gift to go and see a new perspective of our very same God.

Gayle said...

Oh my, I envy your trip to Africa! I am sure it is an experience that will change you. I love the picture side by side of your home and theirs. What a thought provoking picture.

Jean Wise said...

Isn't it amazing when we step out of our comfort zone and really look around how we realize how blessed we are. Thanks for the reminder.

Kristin Bridgman said...

What a great trip, thanks for sharing.
God took me out of my comfort zone into the homeless community and it made me realize even more how blessed I am. And am even more blessed to have made friends with them.
May you be blessed this Easter week!

path of treasure said...

We are most definitely blessed here in this country, with great abundance. Thank you for sharing your experiences of this trip!

Charlotte said...

It's true we are so blessed materially in the U.S. Thank you for sharing your African experiences. I enjoyed the video.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Laura said...

Oh, wow, Melanie. What an amazing opportunity. How blessed you are to see and be reminded of our brothers and sisters who struggle with these things we take for granted. And ji have been blessed through your sharing.

Judith said...

Thank you for this post and pictures of South Africa. Three of my children are going to SA this August for 5 weeks on a mission trip. My oldest son has already been a couple years ago. A friend married and lives there with her husband in ministry.

God bless!!