Saturday, November 10, 2012

Breakfast Encouragement


Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.  Alfred A. Montapert


I had the delight to breakfast with Melanie this week.  Is there anything more satisfying than heart-to-hearts with your daughter? As the kids were chugging milk, Melanie and I enjoyed our orange scones and conversation. As we walked out the door, Melanie said, "That was so much fun swapping sheltering ideas." As the momma of four, she's busy with all that it takes to keep her household organized and running smoothly. Yet she takes God's commandment to "Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ’s law."

Later in the day I picked up a book I've been eager to read, "Breakfast with Bonhoeffer" by Jon Walker. In the little bit I had time to read I had a REAL breakfast--steak and eggs with hashbrowns and 8-grain toast. God used Bonhoeffer in Walker's life to rescue him from a failing faith where God's plans seemed more evil than good." 

Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a pastor and writer, and eventually, a spy during the time Adolf Hitler attempted to exterminate the Jews throughout Europe. What strikes me most in this book is the passion he had for truth. Not man's truth fed to him.  Not easy truth plucked from one or two books from the Bible.  But truth that  he found at the feet of Jesus. Truth lived out in his own life so effectively that his words ring clear today.  

Bonhoeffer believed we should walk the narrow way. "The danger as we follow Jesus into the Kingdom is that we can slip off the narrow path, on one side sliding into a ditch of burdensome religion--what we commonly call legalism--and on the other side sliding into a ditch where there is a presumptive regard for the bloody cost of God's grace," something Bonhoeffer refers to as cheap grace.

"Both these ditches carry us away from the intimate relationship God desires that we have with Jesus Christ...the first tries to separate grace from truth and the second tries to separate truth. As we follow Jesus down the narrow path, he will lovingly and ruthlessly place us on the anvil of his grace and then hammer us into the shape of Christ."

Jesus told us, Strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life (Matthew 7:14). This book is stirring my heart, giving me a renewed desire to stay on the narrow path, not concerning myself with what is happening in the ditches beside me. I want to be hammered into the shape of Christ.



Have you ever found yourself in a narrow road ditch?
Have you read any of Bonhoeffer's books?  
Which one should I read next?

23 comments:

Esther Joy said...

"Breakfast with Bonhoeffer" sounds good. Breakfast with your daughter could be even better! I love spending time with my daughters.

Blessings!

Terra said...

I like the words you quote from Bonhoeffer here. I may get a copy of this book since I haven't read any of his works yet. Another Christian author I admire and enjoy his books is Henri Nouwen.

Unknown said...

Beautiful post. One I really needed to hear. Bless you, friend!

Stephanie said...

Thank you for this lovely post - it was a joy to read. May you have a blessed day!

Hugs,
Stephanie

Esther Asbury said...

I like what you said about staying on the narrow way and not concerning ourselves with what is going on in the ditches! There are times that's not easily accomplished -but I'm with you in wanting to try!
Great post - food for thought!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Breakfast with daughters is wonderful. But when they aren't around ... a good book helps.

Fondly,
Glenda

Aritha V. said...

I love breakfast with my daughters too. And no, this book I've never read. I now read 'A mother to Gods heart'

Rebecca said...

I've read Life Together and The Cost of Discipleship (I believe that's the title), but it's been quite awhile ago. I have that biography that came out in the past year or two but still haven't started it....

In a few days, I'll enjoy breakfast with my daughter in KS. I'm really looking forward to it.

Beth said...

Daughters are wonderful!

A lovely post.

Barbara said...

Lovely post! I agree, breakfast with daughter/s can be an event! While I agree that there are dangers in the world as we make our way through it, I am comforted by the belief that the kingdom of God resides in each and every heart and we have only to "Be still" and listen to hear His voice from within ourselves. He will noot let us stray if we listen.

Denise said...

Nice post.

Maryann said...

This sounds like a book I would be interested in reading, thanks for sharing

joy said...

Lovely time with your daughter and for yourself with a book that inspires.
Havent read that book but praying to stay in the narrow path.

Just Be Real said...

Wonderful post Pam. Great quote. Book sounds encouraging. Blessings.

Unknown said...

What a sweet time for all of you. And lovely food for thought on this Spiritual Sunday visit. Blessings.

Visits With Mary said...

Lovely post on a subject we should always be aware of. The narrow path, God will hold us there if we hold on to Him and stay in His word. Blessings!

Cathy said...

A pretty picture of your daughter and granddaughter ~ I am sending you a link that a friend just shared with me about Bonhoeffer. :) Blessings

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I love that pic of mom and dgt. It's beautiful...and I love nothing more than hanging out with my girls....Great message too.....hope your week shines.....

Karen said...

From a mom with 3 boys, I can safely declare that breakfast with sons is equally enjoyable!

Sadly, I have found myself in each of those ditches before...especially the one of legalism...so very thankful God is merciful and so forgiving...


Marianne said...

I'm intrigued by the book - will check it out.

Anonymous said...

Along this breakfast theme, my husband and I were not blessed with children but with all the craziness of jobs and other responsibilities, we still find it a challenge to have quality time together. I recently introduced him to coffee rather than soda in the morning, and I suggested that a nice cup of coffee (or tea!) should not be gulped but savored. So we've found ourselves at various coffee spots near home recently, enjoying coffee, a pastry and good conversation. We both look forward to it a lot, and unlike going out to dinner it's a cheap and easy date that doesn't take a lot of time but sure pays dividends in communication and serenity for our relationship. So yes, breakfast is a blessing! :)

Kim M. said...

Great post. I love that quote by Bonhoeffer. His life has always intrigued me. Steven gave me Eric Metaxas' book, and I'm itching to read it.

Ems Makuthi said...

Blessed by your blog!!!!