I've known for a while what my 2013 word(s) would be. For weeks they have been poking at my heart like my toddler daughters did when they wanted my attention. The less came first -- the knowledge that "stuff" needed to go for RB and I to go forward with our life goals. I have lists and plans and ideas and...you get it.
But oh, the less of the last paragraph is only surface. My desire for 2013 is less of me and more of God. Colossians 3:2 tells me Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that’s where the action is. See things from his perspective.
The 4th verse goes on to say, For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. I want more of God to guide my Bible teaching, my writing, my friendships, my duties and my interactions in my home.
I've claimed John 3:30 as my verse for the year: He must become greater and greater and I must become less and less.
Less self absorption
These "lesses" will leave room for me to know God more deeply. To learn more of Him through His Word. Paris Murray said, "If you desire to know God deeply, you must know God’s Word deeply. Along the way, something amazing takes place. The more you learn about the message of Christ, the more Christ is glorified; the more God is made known to you, the more glory He is given."
Less of me so God's glory can be seen. That's my desire for 2013 -- that God's glory will draw the unsaved to Him and create a desire in those who belong to Him to crave more of Him.
As the deer pants for streams of water,
So my soul pants for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
Psalms 42:1, 2
* * * * *
This is my reading list for the year. My goal is 50 books. I've left room for new, recommended (I love your recommendations) and/or some lighter novel reading.
- Crazy Love by Francis Chan
- Wonderstruck: Awaken to the Nearness of God by Margaret Feinburg
- Looking Around for God by James A. Autry
- Living the Proverbs by Chuck Swindoll
- Refocus by Jim Daily
- Hollowed Be This house by Thomas Howard
- Bold Love by Bob Roberts, Jr.
- The World is a Potluck by Coleen Luntzel
- Soul Hunger by Gari Meacham
- Between the Lines: God is Writing Your Story by Bob Sorge
- Rooted: Reach Deep. Burn Bright. Stand Strong by Josh Foliart
- Hands of Love by Linda Cucci
- Story Craft by Jack Hart
- Doing Business With God: An Every Day Guide To Prayer & Journaling by Catrina J. Sparkman
- My Bookstore by Ronald Rice
- The Bronte Sisters by Catherine Reef
- The Power of Half by Kevin and Hannah Salwen
- Cheaper, Better Faster by Mary Hunt
- The Stuff Cure by Dr. and Mrs. J. Sproule
- This I know: Unraveling the Heart by Susanna Conway
- Tattoos on My Heart by Gregory Boyle
- Please Pass the Faith: The Art of Spiritual Grandparenting by Elsie H R Rempel
- A Homemade Year by J. J. Greer
- Spiritual Simplicity by Chip Ingram
- Love and Salt by Amy Andrews
- The Blessed Woman by Debbie Morris
- The Language of Blessing by George Barna
- My Heart is Boundless (Writings of Abigail May Alcott--Louisa's mother) by Eve LaPlante
- The Lazy Couponer by Jamie Chase
- Wrecked: When a broken world slams into your comfortable world by Jeff Goins
- Love Does by Jeff Goins
- Try Giving Yourself Away by David Dunn
- Anonymous: Jesus Hidden Years...and Yours by Alicia Britt Chole
- Where Do You Get Your Ideas by Fred White
- Lord, Deliver Me From Negative Self Talk by Lynn Davis
- 21 Days to a More Disciplined Life by Crystal Paine
- Reversing Diabetes by Don Colbert
- Radical by David Platt
- Deliver Us From MeVille by David Zimmerman
- How I Make Money Blogging by Crystal Stemberger
- Getting Rid of it by Betsy Talbot
- The Greatest Principle: Finding Significance and Joy by Serving Others by Jennifer Henson
- Dream Save Do by Betsy Talbot
- My Father's House by Marja Meijers