Saturday, March 16, 2013

Opening the Door for God to Work

If we truly love people, we will desire for them far more than it is within our power to give them, and this will lead us to prayer. ~Richard Foster



"Your name is on my prayer list," my friend Jennifer said, pointing to her Bible and notebook stacked beside the chair where I was sitting. "I'm praying you will be healed."  It felt like a hug for my heart, like shelter under a prayer tree, knowing she cared enough to pray for me.  

Prayer is an important part of  encouragement.  It's been just the last few years that I've realized how important it is to hear others are praying for you. I have many friends, who, without question, care for me.  But those who tell me they are praying specific prayers communicate a deeper level of caring.




It's one of the reasons I love Facebook, while so many others condemn the use.  It's a good way to add to your prayer list.  So many times I hear of prayer requests and can pray immediately for needs.  Then I can add them to my prayer list to continue to pray. Sometimes just the tone of a status update indicates the need for prayer.

Paul told the Ephesians, And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. All these years later, it's still a principle to live by -- praying for all the Lord's people.

We know we need to pray for the unsaved.  So many times my prayers are focused on those who haven't accepted Jesus as Savior. I want to be faithful to pray for the young mother caring for three children, the lonely widow, the child struggling with dyslexia and his homeschooling mother.  I want to pray for marriages -- not only those experiencing difficulty, but for those committed to keeping a healthy relationship.  



There are times we need to put "feet" to our prayers.  A card, a small gift, or an offer to play with the kids for an hour or two.  Sometimes it's lunch out and a listening ear.  A.J. Gordon said,"You can do more than pray after you have prayed; but you can never do more than pray until you have prayed." Pray first.

What a privilege we have to take others to God through Jesus.  It's an intimate place where we meet God -- a treasured altar in this place we're invited to come with boldness. Jesus holds our prayers in His hands, covers them with His intercessory  prayers and carries them to the Father.  

Take some extra time this week to read through your Facebook status updates. Look people in the eye as you worship tomorrow. Ask God to place names of hurting people on your heart.  Let them sit under your sheltering tree as you carry them to the Father.  Then put feet to your prayers with a quick phone call, a private message on Facebook, a card or a plate of cookies. 

Oswald Chambers challenges me with his words, "If we think of prayer as the breath in our lungs and the blood from our hearts, we think rightly."  I'm asking God to keep my prayers unselfish -- that my prayer breaths will be more about others than myself, and the prayers pumping through my heart will  find me faithful. 




21 comments:

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Such a blessing to read and very inspiring! thanks Lisa :O)

Micupoftea said...

I enjoyed this post! Just reading it made me smile. I had no role model for prayer growing up, and am amazed at the comfort and encouragement it gives my daily life to pray. Thanks for including great quotes. Have a lovely weekend,
Shawn

Beth said...

You have truly loving heart.

Denise said...

Amazingly beautiful.

Courtney said...

You are a beautiful light, and reading this brought me great joy. Prayer for others has been on my heart, too, partly because our church is doing a Lenten study on prayer - so it will be the topic of the sermon this morning. But also because it seems that we go through seasons where many around us experience tragedy and need much prayer, and this is one of those times. Having a literal prayer list helps me, but I'm inspired by what you've written to do more - to put feet to those prayers. I need to ask God to inspire me more in that realm.

Hope you have a happy Sunday, friend.

calej said...

This is so true, praying for others totally gives you God's heart for them and makes you a true child of God by sharing in His heart's desires to give fullness of life for His people. Your exhortation for us to "pray first" was a good reminder for me.

I wish I could be more like that!!!

Karen said...

Another wonderful word! Thank you very much.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Hello Pamela, I pray as you read this, you feel uplifted and loved as well as prayed for. I am in Bible College and learning so much more than I thought I would. Much is written in Gods word about worship, and it takes many forms, including prayer. So we give worship to the King of Kings and the Lord of Glory and lift His name on high for giving us the breath of life, and the brain to understand and learn more about Him... Now, you Pamela,who are the Apple of His eye, will sing in your heart, Praises to the King as he continues to love and bless you. xxx

Esther Joy said...

That was a beautiful post, Pamela, and a reminder to me to follow up with the cards, food, or whatever!

Unknown said...

Prayer is more important than people realize and much more powerful. It saddens me when people tell me, "Well, Barb, I've tried everything else. Guess all that's left is to pray." Before my relationship with the Lord became what it is today I was a lot like that myself. Now prayer is first on my list- first in the morning..last before going to sleep. I can't imagine my life without my conversations with the Lord.
This was a beautiful post. May the Lord be with you always. Have an awesome day.

Esther Asbury said...

Pam, I love your timely post on prayer! Just last week I received a thank you note from a sweet friend who mentioned she has been praying for me in my pain. It brought instant tears to my eyes -- tears of gratefulness and joy. She had no idea how much I would "need" those words on the day her card came in the mail!
I want to be that kind of friend to others -- caring through prayer!

Irene said...

What a beautiful post, thank you so much for visiting with me, and your very thought provoking words. I can't tell you how timely you have been.

Sharon said...

I was so encouraged about this message today, Pamela. Thank you. I have noticed in my new Bible Study that when it's time for prayer requests, they always seem to be about other people. I have been impressed by that.

I'm asking God to make my prayer life to be more about others than about me.

GOD BLESS!

Farm School Marm said...

What GOOD reminders! Thank you, Pamela!! (PS - I sent you an e-mail a couple of days ago!)

Anonymous said...

This is exactly the kind of post I needed today. I am so glad I stumbled upon it today. I am a beginning blogger with a dream and passion to write. Thank you for your inspiration!


Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Pamela, I didn't realize that you needed healing, but I am going to join your friend in praying for that, as well as for you to be uplifted and for the Lord to be the wind beneath your wings as you do so much for the rest of us.

I love FB too, and I do lots of praying for my friends on there; when they ask and when they are just reporting what is going on. Just like with blogging, social media is what you make it. I love being able to be in touch with those who I wouldn't have been with out FB, as well as meeting new friends through my existing friends and family.

Hope that you are having a wonderful week! Thank you so much for stopping by to see me.

Kathy M.

Unknown said...

Yes. Thank you for being obedient. A month ago, the holy spirit put in my heart that I should be praying more for others. We are so self love and we pray for our needs only. Thank you sis~

Rebecca said...

I SO agree about viewing facebook as a springboard to prayer & putting "feet" to my prayers!

I (rather selfishly) pray that we will find a way to meet face-to-face one day, Pamela.

Unknown said...

It's so rare, this gift of prayer. Blessed to read here.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

My mother always says, "Pray, but then put feet to those prayers."
Wise counsel.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

one more comment...I can't find it now but you noted the Weaver's poem on your blog. When I was 18 and being sent off to college, Mom and Daddy gave that poem to me as a woven bookmark. I still have it and it's a continual blessing. I'm hoping my printer will print it off then I'll take it to the library and run copies so I can laminate them and hand them to others. Bless you for making them available...I've been searching for the cloth ones but no success yet.