Thursday, April 18, 2013

Gifting Books: Knit Together


Many people have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness.  It is not obtained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.  ~Helen Keller 



Do you know what your purpose is in life -- your worthy purpose? Has God instilled a big dream in your heart? One that makes your heart do a happy dance when you think about it?


Jo, in Little Women said, "I think I shall write books, and get rich and famous. That would suit me so that is my favorite dream." It was my favorite dream, too. But dreams are just that -- dreams. In order to fulfill our God-given gifts (for His dreams are gifted-equipped), we must develop our skills or as Helen Keller said, obtain them through fidelity.

In Debbie Macomber's book, Knit together, she says, "From the moment each of us is created, God has a purpose for us.  We don't necessarily know what it looks like at first, but we can be sure it's there, somewhere inside us."


I had the dream, but I also had to commit to some hard work to see God's purpose realized. I took a writing course to learn the mechanics of submitting my writing for publication.  I attended writing conferences, learning from authors like Francine Rivers and Melody Carlson. I wrote each morning from four until seven while my children were sleeping. (Because they were my first purpose.)


What's your God-placed dream? Ask God to help you write a plan of action. Give total fidelity to developing the action plan. Watch with amazement as the plan unfolds.  God wants to use you!

Debbie's book, Knit Together, is a great gift for a knitting friend.  Her books are so easy to read because she weaves stories throughout the chapters -- actually, much of it reads like fiction. Gift it with a skein of yarn and some wooden knitting needles. Wrap it together with ribbon (you all know my obsession with ribbon).


I've made a tag for that finishing touch. Feel free to print. If you're not sure your friend would like non-fiction, use Knit Together: An Amish Knitting Novel by Karen Anna Vogel. "Two cultures knit together by one faith."

What "extras" would you use to gift one of these books?

 

10 comments:

SuzyQ said...

Love you, Love your blogs, love how you make me feel special even when you know how imperfect I am!

Love spending time with you, such a free, fun, relaxing time.

You are such an inspiration. You make me think that 'maybe I can do this!'

Blessings. Always.
Sue

HL said...

Awesome post... and would love to when this book!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Fabulous post, always so inspiring and I'm so glad I'm here! I always think we are so lucky to find this presents, or gifts in our lives, like your post, I mean! Thank you tons!! I appreciate your sweet and kind visits dear friend.
Big hugs,
FABBY

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Debbie is fabulous! I have this book in hard cover and audio; I listen to the audio each year.
You are an encourager; thank and bless you.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love Debbie M.'s books, too! It's always inspiring to read your posts..gives me some ideas for writing in my journal! Hugs!

MaryAnne said...

This is a wonderful gift, and I love the way you have packaged it!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Pamela,

I love how your mind works and how I can always apply what you write into what is going on in my life write now.

After reading this post, I began thinking of my teenage dream of becoming a kindergarten teacher. Over the years, I finally completed my education and worked off and on with children. I have recently got back on that track again, and feel that it is a gift, though I am rough around the edges and certainly need refining.

I just wanted to thank you for reminding me that working with kids is my gift and to work with it and to be grateful that I have another chance to really live out my early dreams.

I hope that you are having a super weekend. I have only been posting my A-Z stuff for now, but will be back to Share the Shelter as soon as I can.

Hugs,

Kathy M.

Anonymous said...

I read her book on giving. It was good too. Love your beautiful tag!

jada.smith94 said...

Sounds like an awesome book! :)

Karen Anna Vogel said...

A Sheltering Tree, thank you so much for making this tag. I wrote Knit Together: An Amish Knitting Novel and have already passed the tag around cyber world LOL. Lovely sight and glad I found you. Blessings.