Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Healthy Eating Plan


RB and I went to the Farmer's Market early this morning. There's just something special about getting out early on a Saturday and filling our bags with healthy fresh food -- like rising early to get healthy spiritual food.

Bible reading...Hymn singing...Prayer speaking...Truth searching...spiritual food. My soul craves my spiritual food as much as my body craves fresh green beans, corn on the cob and raspberries. 

Because of diabetes, when I don't eat when I should, I get shaky. And when I slack on my devotional life, life gets shaky. It's easier to find fault with others. Unkind or unnecessary words are harder to control. I'm more impatient with those who claim Christ yet don't display Christ-like attitudes. Most of all, I lose (and miss) the friendship of Jesus which 
gives my soul its joy.

Here are four ways to enrich your devotional life:

1. Reread your Scripture section and personalize the verses.  

The Lord is Pamela's rock, Pamela's fortress and Pamela's deliverer; Pamela's God is Pamela's rock, in whom Pamela takes refuge, Pamela's shield and the horn of Pamela's salvation, Pamela's  stronghold (Psalm 18:2).

2. Choose a hymn to read or sing.  

A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing;
Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing:
For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great, and, armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal (Martin Luther).

3. Pray a prayer

Pray the Scriptures:   Proverbs 13:6 (Thank you, God for being         my helper...); Psalm 31:3 (I need you to lead and guide me...);         Psalm 125:2 (Jordan and Kayla need you to surround them with       your love and help as they minister...); Psalm 63:7 (I praise you         for what you are doing, my heart is joyful when I see all you have done.)
      
4. Journal your search for truth.

Too often we rely on how others interpret the Scripture. Add a study component to your devotional time to allow for research that will enhance personal application of the Word. 

David  was living in the crags of the mountains, hiding from King Saul. Crouching behind rocks, David was concealed and trusted God to keep him safe.   

Stronghold means to fortify, the idea of holding safely. I'm safe because God holds me.

Simple steps in creating a meaningful, daily visit with God through Jesus. The tomatoes, peaches and corn we purchased will help keep my body healthy, but my soul requires God's Word, talking to God, singing the hymns and the study of the Word to keep me prepared for action -- putting feet to God's Word.  

How do you keep your time with God from becoming a routine?

Linking to 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your post and suggestions for making scripture personal.
I love the farmer's market also! Yesterday I found a lovely market on the way home from Michigan--corn on the cob, peaches, blueberries and blackberries.

The Bible is rich in truth when we take the time to meditate. Have a blessed Sunday!

Unknown said...

While your tips are good, there are some others you might want to try and implement (maybe with a twist to fit your personal beliefs though). It's on our site scambreakers.com

Denise said...

Hi Pamela,

I made the rounds to the local Farmer's Markets yesterday too, and came home with enough beans and corns to stock my freezer-ha! I love your parallel on how we must feed on God’s Word daily if we want to nourish ourselves spiritually. In order to serve God we need to keep our minds and hearts as healthy as we can.

Have a blessed Sunday!
Denise

Aritha V. said...

Thanks for the tips to enrich my life! With God I'm happy with it. My mother also has diabetes. Sometimes difficult. I love how you personalize the psalm! I follow this.

At this time (in the summer) I write on this blog
http://sieraadvooras.blogspot.nl/

Welcome to read there :-)

Anonymous said...

Terrific tips Pamela for making time with God even richer. I'm learning to be quiet before Him. I have a tendency to do most of the talking. Sometimes I think I can just see and hear Him putting his finger to his lips and going, "Shhhhhhhh" I love, love, love our local farmer's markets, with all the wonderful fresh produce. Yummy! Thanks for your visit. God bless!

Karen said...

Wonderful post, Pamela!

Esther Asbury said...

I especially like your admonition to study Scripture for yourself and not to reply on what others think/preach/teach. I've come back to "what does the Bible actually teach about this" time and again.
I also find myself praying Scripture - sometimes praise and sometimes pleas!

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Nice post! :) I smiled reading it because I have this hand painted sign saying "oh happy day" and the kids were asking me about it so I started to sing the song then took them onto the Net to REALLY see it being sung well...for fun we found the Sister Act excerpt on You Tube. Next you know all evening we're singing Oh Happy Day : )

Ceil said...

Hi Pam! I think I keep God-time from being a routine by being thankful. That way, he knows I am not taking credit for what is his! I also try to be quiet, and take time to listen to him.

Great comparison between your medical and spiritual reactions. As a nurse, I totally get that!

Hope you had a wonderful weekend,
Ceil

Denise said...

Awesome post. Praying for your diabetes.

Lisa notes... said...

All four of these are great pieces of advice. God is not just for us generally; he is for each of us specifically, and we need these reminders to personalize his promises to us individually as well. Thanks!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

I love your advice. They are much needed reminders for me. :)

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

I love your idea for journaling your search for truth. This is something I think I will implement into my morning devotions. There have been times that I have forgotten an important finding - just because I did not have it written down - or written down in a place I knew I could go back and look at. I will be doing this now.
Thanks so much, Your posts are very encouraging to my heart, Thanks for sharing, Lisa :O)

Unknown said...

This was such an nice post. Thank you for the reminder to include hymns in my quiet time. I have forgotten, though I often listen to them sung at another time. We should be living a life of devotion and our quiet time should stretch through the day, right?! Have a wonderful day!!

Sharon said...

There is nothing like the spiritual nourishment that's found in God's Word! I loved how you talked about the *shaky* feeling that comes when we neglect it.

So, how do I keep my devotional time fresh? Well, for one thing, God seems to do that for me! I can't tell you how many times my reading for the day is absolutely PERFECT for what my life circumstances are at the time.

Sometimes God gives me a snack, sometimes a full-course meal - but it always seems to be JUST what I need to fill up my spiritual hunger.

GOD BLESS!

HeARTworks said...

Great post! I love and practice most of your suggestions, especially the making the bible verses personal and confessing them. I found a great blog you might like alkalinesisters.com. Healthy food! Blessings to you! patsy

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Perfect plan with starting the day right

Susan Marlene said...

Beautifully said! I've been thinking about these very things you've mentioned! Now I'm tired and it's off to bed!! Blessings to you Pamela!