Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Father Like the Father in Heaven


A father's like the Father in the way he loves you. 
A father's like the Father when he carries you through. 
I am my father's daughter as I'm loving another.
See love from my Father in Heaven.
Through the eyes of my father on Earth.  Lyrics by Brianna Haynes


I was twelve the day I left my purse at a restaurant. I don't think we had driven far, but far enough my daddy knew backtracking would cut into the mileage goal for the day. Not only would we lose time, but we were on the Pennsylvania turnpike and it meant paying another toll.

A purse is pretty important to a 12-year-old. I'm not sure what was in my purse except for one important thing -- a tiny photograph book with pictures of my boy-crush.  

I don't remember Daddy fussing about going back (just lots of teasing since). He was going back because He was my father, and that's what special fathers do. He was living his love, showing his Daddy heart.

It's what our Heavenly Father does. He goes back.  When we stumble and fall because of our own selfish behaviors or become enamored with the things of the world, God comes back. When we are stunted in the unfairness of life or by pain caused by the jealousies or pettiness of our friends, God comes back. When life is good and we're celebrating only ourselves without thought of who is the giver of all good things, God comes back.


It is in these coming-back times I find the assurance that my Heavenly Father loves me. He comes back for me because I am His child and that's what Fathers do.


I've always seen the Heavenly Father through the kaleidoscope of my earthly Father's eyes -- beautiful reflective mirrors of daily living and loving. A gentle giant, always giving, ever faithful and full of mercy.

With each turn of the kaleidoscope I see a new pattern, and I'm reminded that I can't separate where my Daddy ends and God begins for it is because God lives in Him he lives a life of integrity.




And the faithful Heavenly Father who lives in Him, loves me with a fierce love, and is willing to backtrack to where I am. He fulfills the promise of Psalm 103:13, The Lord is like a father to his children. Like my daddy, He's always giving, ever faithful and full of mercy.  





9 comments:

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Oh how lovely to have a sweet dad like yours (and mine.) Wish everyone had one.

Fondly,
Glenda

Rebecca said...

What a beautiful picture of Our Father! How comforting to remember AND experience.

J said...

That is so beautiful - and reminds me of how our earthly fathers would do anything for us, yet they are limited by their humanity. The heavenly father we share with our earthly one knows no boundaries. His love and generosity are limitless!
Your father is such a handsome man and I can see his kindness in his eyes!

Mindy said...

I love that your girls adore him just as much! =)

Ceil said...

Hi Pamela! Your dad looks like such a loving person. And now I know he is!

We are so blessed to have loving fathers. That really does help us see our Lord as our generous, loving Father too. And I love the comparison of "going back", and not complaining too. That's our God! Aren't we so blessed to be his people...

Have a wonderful Monday my friend!
Ceil

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful example of how our earthly fathers should be like our Heavenly Father! I had a dad like that, and like you it was hard to see where he ended and God began. He's been gone since 1973, and I miss him still but I know when I feel a nudge that now it's God AND Daddy nudging together. :) Visiting from Michelle's link-up.

Sharon said...

What a wonderful tribute to your dad, Pamela. It brought tears to my eyes, especially since I lost my dad just last month. Interestingly, I also blogged about some memories of him today.

I am very grateful for him, and for my Heavenly Father. Because of them, I know the meaning of love...

GOD BLESS!

Denise said...

Such a precious blessing.

Esther Asbury said...

What a beautiful word picture of our Heavenly Father! How thankful I am for the MANY times He's come back to me!
BTW - I still enjoy your blog and find it speaks to me just where I am -- thank you for faithful writing your thoughts down for all of us to read!