Friday, May 30, 2014

The Discipline of Solitude



The fruit of solitude is increased sensitivity and compassion for others. There comes a new freedom to be with people. There is new attentiveness to their needs, new responsiveness to their hurts. ~Richard Foster


I get tired of noise. And it's not always the outward noise -- although my spirit gets tired of that, too: The clamor of the radio. The yammering on social networks. But inward noise makes me weary. The noise of ideas banging around in my head. The constant mutterings of "Oh, I need tos." The clanging of words from the books I'm reading and the don't-forget-about-me yelling from writing deadlines. It. Never. Stops. 





Sometimes I just need some solitude and silence -- some God-time. Time when I'm not asking, just quietly worshiping my Heavenly Father. Time when I'm not reading or studying God's word. Time when my mind stops and I can just sit in His presence -- to be still and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10).



Being silent in solitude is a spiritual discipline we often skip. Mother Theresa said, 
We need to be alone with God in silence to be renewed and to be transformed. For silence can give us a new outlook on life. In it we are filled with the grace of God, which makes us do all things with joy.
I need silence and solitude. I need the space it makes in my life. I need it to hear the voice of God. And in the fulfilling of these needs, I find myself able to rejoin the noise, bringing the Lord with all His grace, peace, wisdom and joy to my interactions with others.
 Linked to:





13 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

I'm with you 100%!! Some weeks more than others I crave solitude and time to just "be still!"

Shannon Wallace said...

Amen! :) Solitude, regarded as a negative thing in our society, is much needed. He gives us those seasons of solitude for a reason. Most importantly, to get to know Him.

Terra said...

Pamela, thanks for your reminder to find time for solitude and quiet moments with God. All this noise both from the outside and from within us is sometimes too much.

Linda Stoll said...

Solitude and silence, a spiritual discipline that is yet the most lovely, compelling invitation.

And I say 'yes' as much as humanly possible!

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

What a lovely post :) thanks for sharing :)

Denise said...

Bless you dear.

Susan Shull said...

I hear you, sister. Me, too!

Wanda said...

Oh Pamela that's I couldn't agree more. It can be much harder to turn off the inner chatter than the outside noise.

Unknown said...

Sitting and learning and worshiping God is truly a sweet joy! Have a beautiful week!

BARBIE said...

It's hard for me to quiet my mind at times. Even when I take the time to be still before the Lord, my mind is going 1000 miles a minute. Thank you for sharing at The Weekend Brew!

Saleslady371 said...

Solitude energizes me, Pamela. Nothing is more exciting than hearing the Lord's voice. Just sitting with Him outside in nature is second.

Susan Marlene said...

Pamela, I've also been thinking about this so very much....how important than all the things we can accomplish for Him. What will anything mean if we can't sit still before him and know Him in quiet solitude? :)

Richella Parham said...

Beautifully said, Pamela! I find solitude and silence to be absolutely crucial disciplines. What blessings come from observing them!

Richard Foster is a good friend of mine--I serve on the board and ministry team of Renovaré, the ministry devoted to spiritual formation he founded many years ago. It always blesses my heart to see that someone has benefitted from his teaching. :)

Thanks for joining Grace at Home. I'm featuring you this week!