Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Staying Close Through Tragedy


The deeper that sorrow carves into your being the more joy you can contain. Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven? ~ Kahlil Gibran (1883-1931)



It's been twenty-seven years ago today. More than half my life span. Yet it doesn't take much for the remembrance of that day to overwhelm me. The explosion of the hall light when I flipped the switch, the smoke, the flames, the unbearable knowledge that I laid my Sarah down for her nap and I'd never hold her again...My heart just doesn't want to go there, that place where memories drag me down into a dark place. 




I write my posts in my head long before I begin to type. A few nights ago as I was trying to drift to sleep the words started -- each one making pock marks on my heart as once again the scabs were pulled away. 



Grief is a personal darkness. Yes, there are extended family and friends who walk beside you; we even had a loving, and hurting, church family who cried with us and kept their arms around us each painful day. But a parent's heart cannot be "fixed" even with love. And as RB and I stumbled through the darkness of that first year after our sweet Sarah left our arms to live with our Heavenly Father we found that each of us had to find our own way.




In the midst of our separate grieving processes we determined to find a way through the bleakness without becoming a part of the daunting statistics of failed marriages when faced with losing a child. 

1.  Get away with each other. Viewing daily the dirt pile where our house once stood was hard. Most weekends throughout the ensuing months, we'd take off overnight to get away. , Sometimes just forty-five miles away to a motel; other times a little farther -- even once to quiet Shakertown in Kentucky. We had Melanie to give structure to our time away (3-year-olds think they need food, baths and playtime) and RB and I connected even it was just holding hands while driving. If you can't go a distance, take walks together, clasp hands, even if you don't say a word. Go for an ice cream cone, or take an hour and visit friends.




2. Accept the grieving pattern of the other. It is one of the greatest gifts you can offer. RB and I didn't hit the stages of grief at the same time, nor in the same manner. No two people grieve exactly alike.  Listen to your spouse without judging how they process their grief. Remember that even though they may not cry constantly does not mean the level of grief doesn't contain the same intensity.

3. One  suggestion you read in books on grief is to find a good counselor. Honestly, that never occurred to me. I think it's because we were living with the senior pastor and wife -- already dear friends. They listened, cried, and remembered Sarah. Janet ate enough baked potatoes with me that it should have caused a potato shortage in Idaho. If you don't have a local, understanding relationship in place, a counselor is important, however.




4. Communicate with each other. It's important to speak the name of your child. Many times others are afraid to mention their name in case it makes the grief worse. In reality, hearing Sarah's name gave validity to her life (and still does). We also wanted Melanie to remember her sister. She wasn't quite three and most of what she remembers is what we've told her. Interestingly, twenty-one years later, she and Shawn named their daughter Sarah Morgan... RB and I would laugh and cry over our Sarah stories but verbalizing was vital in keeping us connected.



5. Invite God into your grief. Your spiritual life takes a hit when grief is present. In another way, you are dependent on God to get through each day. RB and I held hands in the dark the first night after Sarah's death and promised we'd let God make us better instead of bitter through our pain. We prayed for each other, shared the promises of God, and reminded each other that God was good. We prayed that God would use Sarah's death to further His Kingdom work. We found a triangle bond -- with God at the top -- was steel-strong, even when our hearts were bursting.




6. Laugh. I know, it's a strange suggestion, but we needed lighthearted moments. I recall one time when grief was particularly over-whelming. I asked RB what would happen if I started screaming and couldn't stop. He didn't miss a heartbeat, "They have places for people like that."  And I laughed. There were other times that laughing at ourselves broke that deep pain. Yes, we ended up there again, crushed at the bottom of despair, but the breath of laughter was a blessing. 

We don't have all the answers; we just tried to grieve well. We didn't always accomplish it, but keeping our love a priority meant we could lean hard on each other. Our marriage not only survived the 78% divorce rate of parents who experience the loss of a child, but the bond is stronger than ever. 



RB's still my soul mate, my best friend, and I'm so blessed to "do life" with him -- in joy or in sorrow. 








17 comments:

Unknown said...

Pam, as I read this post as you rip open the wounds of your heart, tears well up in my eyes. I know the pangs of grief,, too , with the sudden death of my husband Terry in a car accident two years ago. Yet I still can not imagine how devastating the death of your child. God is using both you and RB( and your girls) to be a blessing. Thoughts and prayers as once again you remember that fateful day. I am so glad a friend introduced me to your blog

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Thank you Pamela for sharing this story of your precious baby who is now safe in the arms of Jesus. As painful as it is to re-tell it, you know God will direct this to those who need it. See 2 Corinthians 1:3-4. Love Abby

SuzyQ said...

Pam, oh how your post brings back memories. Today we are grieving with you, but so grateful to God that you have allowed the pain to mold you into such beautiful examples of His grace.
Please remember that we love you and your family, and thank God for the privilege of calling you 'Dear Friends'.

Gayle said...

Some things in life we'll never understand. I can't even imagine the grief of losing a child at any age, and to lose a precious, innocent baby must be the worst kind of pain possible. I'm glad your family stayed together through the darkness, and that God gave you strength to carry on. The pictures are precious.

Stephanie said...

Dearest Pamela, your words, your precious words have touched a chord in my heart. I cannot imagine the heartache you just relived as you wrote this, yet you were willing to be an instrument for God and you wrote your story that will encourage, bless, and strengthen many (including me).

Bless you, dear Pamela! There is joy in Jesus and what a gift that is.

Much love to you!

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

What a wonderful post. As I read, I could feel the pain and tears began to come. Although I have not been through the same situation - I could sure relate to your experience.
Thanks so much for sharing such a painful memory with us in order to bless others who may find themselves in the grieving process. May God continue to comfort you and give you peace and strength, Lisa :O)

Lisa in Texas = ) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Terra said...

You share here important tips and ideas about how to survive grief, and keep your marriage together too. How good your church family nurtured you. God bless you.

Shannon Wallace said...

Pam, I want to send you a (((HUG))) through the computer. :) I agree wholeheartedly with 100% of everything you have shared. My heart hurts for you. We never heal this side of heaven after the loss of a child. We are forever changed. Love you dear one! Like you and RB, my hubby and I have grown closer and stronger despite our immense grief. I cannot fathom walking this journey without him nor my Heavenly Father. Thank you for sharing Sarah with us. I know we've corresponded before about Sarah, but it's ever so nice to see her beautiful face for the first time! She was such a happy baby girl, so full of life. :)

Annesphamily said...

Oh Pamela! My heart sank when I read your story. But somehow God keeps us afloat. Your Sarah will always be a part of your lives. What an honor you have a second Sarah to share with your beautiful family. I bet your Sarah is smiling down on all of you. I remember the day well, January 8, 1996 when my brother Ed and his wife Cheri lost their precious Sarah. 18 years old, everything to live for, a beautiful young woman, attending a premier university on a softball scholarship. Loved by family, friends and opponents on the field. Attending a university in Atlanta, GA. the home of Infectious Disease Control. Struck down by a rare form of blood poisoning. My brother aged fifty years in a week. At one point my SIL wanted out. I said, if I lost my child, I would attach a ball and chain to together on my husbands legs and mine. I will not let death even the death of a child define my faith!45 years later, they are still together. Still sad, never to be the same but prayer and faith somehow pull us thru these times of grief, and sadness and when Cheri wanted to cry, I said, no more tears, Sarah would laugh. She had a big beautiful laugh. Never forget that and laugh in the face of tragedy. Idid not mean to take all this time but my heart was full. Two years ago, our oldest son was going to take the test to receive his teaching certificate. He said as he passed the cemetery where Sarah was laid to rest, he had an incredible peace come over him. I said, your cousin was smiling down on you. Having lost my unborn daughter Rachel in 1987, my heart aches and I am always eager to meet her in heaven someday! Love to you and yours Pamela! May God grant you peace and many beautiful blessings in that was given to you and yours! Much love, Annelife to navigate this journey

Valerie said...

Dear Pam,
Just wanted to let you know that your words touched my heart. Sending you many warm hugs. I cannot imagine your grief, but so admire your strength and grace. You are such a blessing,
Valerie

Anonymous said...

Oh my! So very sad - but what comfort your dark road has become as you minister through your grief to so many others who may be suffering as you have. God bless you as you turn tragedy into triumph.
Joy!
Kathy

J said...

I am so sorry you had to endure this pain. Someday we will understand why things like this had to happen. Our Lord will explain it all and it will make sense, even though our limited human minds cannot fathom reasons. I am so glad you relied on God for strength and guidance. You have written valuable advice. Any one of us could need it at any moment.

Create With Joy said...

What a heart-wrenching memory you've chosen to share with us this week, Pamela! I've also suffered loss and I commend your courage for reaching out to help other women through the experience.

Thank you for being such a blessing to us. You are one of our Featured Guests at this week's Inspire Me Monday party at Create With Joy (Week 137).

Inspired By June said...

I can't begin to relate to your grief, but I'm so thankful for you and your husband. Your words are truly a blessing to so many who will visit here.

Michelle said...

Thank you Pamela!
What a sweet angel she is.

Unknown said...

Hi Pamela, Linking from Messy Marriage where you were my neighbor. I cannot being to imagine this grief, or the sorrow it brings with it for a lifetime. I'm so grateful you and your husband have been able to walk this path together and use your faith to help others.

One day we will know the answers to all the hard questions.

Prayers to you and your family.