Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Measure of Our Lives



I am unique.
I have mission.
I have a calling.
I will fulfill my highest potential and calling.

Lailah Gifty Akita


Cards, gifts, candles and four sweet grands singing Happy Birthday, Dear Mamaw. Facebook wishes, Jack Stacks with the man I love, and Barnes and Noble gift cards. White chocolate raspberry mocha delivered by my teacher girl and spoilings all day long. Each sweet thought made the 57 number a little easier to bear.




I don't know about you, but having a birthday causes me to reflect on the past. What have I done in 57 years to touch others' lives? It's never been enough for me to just live. Oh, I'd love to do something grand like find a cure for cancer, but God hasn't called me to finding cures (and it's a good thing since Science was my least favorite subject in school!). God has called me to a ministry of encouragement. 

During my blogging break, I have re-committed myself to this ministry. I'm not sure what it involves and what it will look like, but I do know that my blogging, writing, and living will be built on this foundation. It's my desire that through my encouragement that I will not be visible, but that my Heavenly Father will be honored.



Encouraging through my words: Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up (Proverbs 12:25).

Encouraging through my service: Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith (Galatians 6:10).

Encouraging through my prayers: I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit (Romans 15:13).

Encouraging through my worship: And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near (Hebrews 19:25).

Encouraging through my gratitude: 
 Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God (Philippians 1:3).



I'm thankful for this birthday -- even if the number frightens me to death. I'm thankful for the blogging break/reflection time God led me to. Most of all, I'm thankful for my Heavenly Father who helped me refocus and renew the ministry to which He has called me to. 

I echo the blessing God gave Moses along with the instructions for Aaron to offer over the Children of Israel:


The Lord bless thee, and keep thee:

The Lord make his face shine upon thee, 
and be gracious unto thee:

The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, 
and give thee peace.

Numbers 6:24-26

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Happy Birthday! A beautiful post!

Nana Jul said...

Happy Birthday!
You will serve the LORD well!!
May His Spirit guide you every step of the way!
Julie

Rebecca said...

Oh, my dear Pamela (you're YOUNG)! But how wonderful to renew your commitment to the ministry you've got such a great jump start on! I admire your specificity. It will give you incentive & focus when "natural" inclinations sag :)

Belated Happy Birthday wishes to you. It sounds like you were celebrated well.♥

Shannon Wallace said...

Happy Birthday Blessings to a beautiful woman of God!!!

Terra said...

Your choice of a ministry of encouragement is a wonderful one, and I must tell you that to me, 57 is young. Happy Birthday.

Unknown said...

Thank you once again for brightening my life by shining for Jesus. Your words of encouragement are Like a healing salve to my soul, especially as we face these issues with my daughter Liz's health. God bless you

Sharon said...

Happiest Birthday, Pamela! And trust me, 57 isn't so bad. I hit 60 this year - and that IS scary!!

I must say that you are one of the most encouraging people I know in Blog Land. It is a gift of yours, and you are generous with it. I am always encouraged when I visit. And so I know that God will honor your recommitment to this ministry in all the things you say and do.

GOD BLESS!

Pam Williams said...

Many blessings on this coming year and especially on your blogging ministry. We all need a word now and then to lift our spirits. Your blog is place where that kind of encouragement is always available.

Crown of Beauty said...

Belated happy birthday, Pam. You live out your calling well. I always leave your blog with a heart full of encouragement. I turned 61 this year... for me, I have beautiful memories of happy yesteryears, but somehow in my heart of hearts I know that Abba Father intends for each year of our lives to be even better than the one before. Grace upon grace, from one level of glory to another! Wishing you a year full of unexpected blessings and surprise visits from the Father!
Shalom...
Lidia

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Well, thank goodness for that!

This was the perfect post for me to read this morning, Pamela. I am an encourager also, but was pulled away from it by being in a frustrating job situation.

Your post gives me focus and step by step goals to work on being a better encourager.

Hugs,

Kathy M.

Patti said...

Great words. I stepped away from blogging (for two years) and I'm coming back with a hope to also be an encourager. Your blog is a wonderful place to find that!
Oh! and I wish you a very happy {belated} birthday!