Thursday, October 23, 2014

Delighting in the Holy



Remember that it is not hasty reading, but serious meditation on holy and heavenly truths, that makes them prove sweet and profitable to the soul. It is not the mere touching of the flower by the bee that gathers honey, but her abiding for a time on the flower that draws out the sweet. It is not he that reads most, but he that meditates most, that will prove to be the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian. Thomas Brooks



I was away for a week. Only one week. Seven days. But when my littlest grandboy saw me, he jumped into my arms, hugged my neck, giving me an exuberant kiss on my cheek. Did I feel loved? Yes! Did I think Camron was delighted to see me? Yes! His sweet boy arms and excited “Mamaw” made my day!


So often God speaks to me through His favorite people – the little ones  the ones Jesus rebuked His disciples for sending away. The ones He gathered to Him and prayed blessings over. The ones who listened as He told story after story. 

God spoke, and I was left with the question, How excited are you to see me? Sometimes when I listen to the words of Scripture, I have to bring my wandering mind back. Sometimes I am blessed by the words I hear. But excited? Hug-your-neck kind of excited? 

It was in those moments I heard the promise of Ezekiel 37:5, I will breathe into your dead bodies and you will come to life. Don’t you just love how God speaks through Scriptures we have memorized as a child? Every promise comes with a condition. God can’t breathe new life into me if I’m not there to accept it.


So there I’ll be each day, Bible open or audio cued – waiting excitedly to hug on God, as I meditate on the holy and heavenly truths.  





8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Me, too....Bible open, waiting expectantly, meditating.... ♥

Sharon said...

Oh yes, Pamela. Always love to hug on God - 'cause you know what? He hugs back!!

I recently did a post about those old dry bones from the book of Ezekiel. And yes, I love how God speaks anew from familiar Scriptures!

GOD BLESS!

Denise said...

Amen my friend.

Renee said...

Delightful post. There is something special about those hugs from our grands.....and our Heavenly Father, too!

Pearl Maple said...

lovely post, the little people in our lives are such a breath of fresh air, enjoy your hugs

my blog moved to: www.pearlmaple.com

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

What a sweetheart! I love how you put these two topics together.

I really miss the daily contact of being with little kids, though not the responsibility of it.

Hugs,
Kathy M.

Esther Joy said...

I DO love it when God breathes new life into old promises from His Word that I learned long ago. I'm also experiencing that with old hymns!

JES said...

Beautiful and encouraging Pamela! Thank you for the reminder to delight in the Holy! I like the way that sounds!