Monday, November 10, 2014

Do All to the Glory of God



Mother, the ribbons of your love are woven around my heart. 
                                                                         ~Author Unknown


The next few posts will celebrate my mother.

My parents’ pastor is young – very young. Not only is Hillsdale Church his first pastorate, my mother’s funeral was his first funeral. Mother would have been so proud of him. He was organized and articulate, and his love for my mother was evident in every word. Here’s a peek into his words.

Then shall the king say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungered and ye gave me meat (Matthew 25:34-35).

When my wife and I came to visit Hillsdale, we didn’t really know anyone. We were strangers and the wonderful people from the Hillsdale church took us in. I remember different people from the church coming and bringing food for our Sunday dinner. Everything was cooked to perfection and very delicious, but I really only remember one dish in particular.

I remember a beautiful crystal bowl and within that bowl was a culinary work of art. It was Sister Cessna’s fruit salad. I soon realized that this was a very special fruit salad, and a very special person made it. She did not just open a Sam’s Club jar of mixed fruit and call it a fruit salad. Everything possible was hand selected, fresh, carefully cut up, and arranged in an artistic fashion.

My wife will tell you that I do not eat fruit. I grew up around fresh fruit, and the sour, unripe, gas-processed-modified-fruit-substitute that is commercially available does not appeal to me. I may go weeks and barely consume fruit.

But this was different. Hours must have gone into making this the best fruit salad known to man, and somehow that labor of love added a wonderful welcoming touch to the delicious flavor. And the amazing thing was that she could duplicate it occasionally for special guests like evangelists, singers, and missionaries. We were strangers to Sister Cessna, and she was a stranger to us, but she made us welcome. We were hungry, and she provided food.


What is your fruit salad? Are you offering water and clothing, or feeding the world around you? I’m sure my mother never dreamed that her fruit salad would be included in her eulogy, yet it was because her offering was “to the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31).



6 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a good question: "What IS my fruit salad?"

By the way, do you know about her fruit salad? Was there any special dressing - or just a wonderful combination of fresh fruit?

Sharon said...

Pamela, what a beautiful story - your mother sounds like she was a wonderful, God-fearing woman. How blessed to have known her influence in your life. I know you will miss her, but I celebrate with you and your family her wonderful homecoming with the Lord.

I am not known for my culinary skills in my family. I'm no cook, nor a baker. So, when we have family get-togethers, I always offer to make a fruit salad. I also use fresh fruit, which I carefully select, cut up and mix together. My sons tease me about my "cooking" - but everyone always seems to appreciate the simple good taste of fresh fruit.

Might I also apply myself to doing all that I can with all that I have to the glory of God.

GOD BLESS!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I have been praying for you since Jen sent the news that your mom was on her last days. I didn't realize she had passed.

This is a beautiful story and I see now she passed on a lot of her sweet hospitality skills to you and your girls.

I am so sorry, Pamela, for your loss.

Fondly,
Glenda

Judy Hoch said...

Having loved (and been loved by) this dear lady, I can say that there is an ache in my heart when I remember her special ways. She called herself my "mother in Israel" and truly she was that to me.

I never had the privilege of sampling her fruit salad, but I have "tasted" her sweet notes of encouragement and her lovely smile. I will always remember her as a lady who made holiness beautiful.

Love and prayers to you!

Sonya said...

This is beautiful and I was proud of her pastor too! So thankful my life was impacted by your mother--such a beautiful example of holiness!

Aritha V. said...

Thanks Pamela for this beautiful story.