Thursday, March 26, 2015

Clothed in Blessings


Don't stay in the dark and count your woes. Step into the light and count your blessings. ~Sandra Kring


From a very young age we focus on fashion. One year we are wearing navy and a few years later even navy shoes are impossible to find. If you are following the 2015 spring trends you'll see that Gingham is the new black, comfortable flats and sneakers are in -- big, bold modern florals are, too. Suede, white, and even fringe seem to be picks for this spring.

My mother taught us to build our wardrobe with classics and add one or two trending accessories or garments for each season. But if you know me, you'll know I'm not writing a fashion piece. I just want to let you know what I'm wearing this spring.

I'm wearing blessings as my garment of choice for spring. The Psalmist told God, "Your blessing clothes your people!" Here's the list of garments I'm adding to my blessing wardrobe. 



The first frock is the yellow of the sun. Those of us who survived a teeth-chattering winter know what a blessing the sunshine will be.

I love color, and it didn't take me long to decide on the popular kimono trench-coat featured in rainbow stripes of God's promises.

It's often as hard to find modest apparel (What? Cropped tops are back in?), but I've chosen a black and white checked 1950s style shirt-waisted dress of affliction. It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees (Psalm 119:71) Sometimes it's hard to choose affliction, but admittedly we do learn more about our God in the hard times.



As I age, I reach for my flats much more often than heels. Just as we're most comfortable in flats, we can also be most comfortable with the fellowship of close family and friends. They don't care which shoes we are wearing -- what a blessing to be around them! I did choose coral shoes just to feed my love of color. (Yes, I know, last year's color -- S.A.L.E.)

I was surprised to find white -- all white -- on the fashion trends. But it is a color I find in my blessing closet. The blessing of salvation -- whiter than snow blessings!

My floral scarves remind me of the blessings of creation, and my happy yellow bag represents the blessing of joy.

Clothed with blessings -- that's the fashion I like to wear. I don't criticize your wardrobe (even those white shoes you wear before Easter...) and I hope you'll see that, while your blessing wardrobe may have different hues than mine, they were given to you by God. Wear them proudly!





6 comments:

Ana Sullivan from The Lost Apron said...

Hello Pamela, I think when God's blessing clothes you, you are the most beautiful. Thank you for your insight.

Laurie Collett said...

Dear Pamela,
What a lovely post! Praise God that we are clothed in His righteousness! When it comes to wardrobe, I stick with the classics, but I appreciate learning from your post that all my flats are now in style!
God bless,
Laurie

Saleslady371 said...

Very colorful post. I enjoyed it.

Lisa notes... said...

Wearing blessings. That's my kind of style! :) Love this. I've never been one for fashion trends, but this is a fashion that will never go out of date.

Karen said...

I love wearing the pastels colors again now that Spring is here. You're right - best thing for our appearance is a joyful heart and thankful attitude.

Sharon said...

This was such a clever and enjoyable post! Love the idea of wearing blessings! I am reminded that the Lord counsels us to not be concerned with the *outside* - (From Proverbs 31): "Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised."

I just want to look like Him!!

GOD BLESS!