Thursday, April 30, 2015

He is My All in All


Father, let me…loose my clutch on everything temporal. My life, my reputation, my possessions, Lord, let me loose the tension of the grasping hand…Open my hand to receive the nail of Calvary; let me release my grasp. Jim Elliot

As Christian women in the 21st century, we can’t imagine bowing down to idols. We serve a living God and resurrected Lord. Yet often our hearts bow to objects and attitudes that don’t have a stone god attached to them, nevertheless they are idols. 




Leslie describes an idol as “anything or anyone that takes a higher position than Jesus Christ in my heart and life, anything that claims more of my devotion and affection from Him.” I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not yield my glory to another or my praise to idols (Isaiah 42:8).


Am I a slave to appetites, health or financial goals, romantic pursuits, popularity, comforts, or anything else? Can you truthfully sing:

You are my strength when I am weak;
You are the treasure that I seek;
You are my all in all.

Seeking You as a precious jewel;
Lord, to give up I'd be a fool;
You are my all in all.

Taking my sin, my cross, my shame;
Rising again I bless Your name;
You are my all in all.

When I fall down You pick me up;
When I am dry You fill my cup;
You are my all in all.

You're my everything;
The beginning and the end;
The first, the last You are;
The great I am. (Natalie Grant)

I admit this chapter was the catalyst to a heart searching event. God is always faithful to reveal what we are honestly seeking. I want my life to measure up to the words of 1 John 2:15-16.


Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world.

Many of our appetites or interests are not wrong, but when we place them before our relationship of and love for God, they take the form of idols. Leslie asked the question, “Am I willing to repent of idolatry and embrace a single-minded focus on Jesus Christ?” I’m willing…are you?





a-wise-woman-builds-her-home

1 comment:

Marja Verschoor-Meijers said...

Yes, I am willing! I want nothing else but Him, because He has the words of life!
Thanks for your post.