Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Anxiety or Confidence?


Worrying is carrying tomorrow's load with today's strength -- carrying two days at once. It is moving into tomorrow ahead of time. Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength. Corrie ten Boom


The above quote by Corrie ten Boon grabbed me -- Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength. How many days have I lacked strength because of my worrying?

Do any of you play the "What If" game? What if RB died, what if one of the grandchildren were abducted, what if Shawn or Jonathon fell off a roof, what if one of the girls had a serious illness...




Leslie's section on "Take Fearful Thoughts Captive" -- especially this directive -- spoke to me:

We may not be able to keep fearful thoughts from entering our minds, but we can kick them out the moment they arrive so that they don't take root inside our hearts and control our lives.

Tweet: Do let anxiety take root in your heart. Think on things that are excellent and worthy of praise. #ourshelteringtree Tweet: Do let anxiety take root in your heart. Think on things that are excellent and worthy of praise. #ourshelteringtree 


These are the steps she gives for abolishing fearful thoughts:

1. Fill your mind with truth. Memorize some of the Psalms (She suggests Psalms 27, 34, 37, 46, 91, and 112).

2. Pray for someone else. Prayer for others...turns us outward instead of inward.

3. Ask God for strength to take authority over fearful thoughts.

4. Train your mind to dwell on His truth. (I love using the Philippians 4:8 list God tells us to think on: Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. 


5. Develop the habit of immediately saying no to the Enemy's foreboding suggestions. 



Proverbs 31:25 says: Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future. Make sure your fashion statement includes strength and dignity. Wear a smile, and chase your anxiety away.







#livefree Thursdays



After My Coffee Blog Hop Linky Party at Prairie Dust Trail

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Such great counsel for dealing with anxiety.

Sharon said...

I love that quote from Corrie ten Boom. And yes, I so know what you're talking about. We call it *jumping on the What If train* in my family. And sometimes, I get very carried away with it all. I love your very practical advice here, and there is nothing like remembering that God is with me - behind me, beside me, ahead of me on the path!

GOD BLESS!

Ifeoma Samuel said...

Dear Pamela, you have shared a brief and very powerful post. I love the #2 praying for others takes our focus away from our own problems.
We worry less about ourselves when we are selfless in our desires.
Many Blessings to you and thank you for stopping over on my blog.

Peggy said...

Thank you Pamela for your visit with "Flash"! What a powerful post dealing with our anxiety and steps to rid us of thoughts of fear! Thank you for sharing God's Word, Corrie Ten Boom and this inspiring, encouraging post! Cute meme!
I'll have to check it out more some time.~Peggy

Anonymous said...

Rev reminded me of this verse the other night when I was anxious about something. I can't even remember what it was now. :-) Thankfully he reminds me with gentleness and humor . . . my love language. Blessings to you!

Elizabeth said...

Oh yes, I have to fight that battle most ever day ! I am getting better the older I get though. I have learned that what ever may happen it will be alright!

Ceil said...

Hi Pamela! I am the Queen of Worry sometimes. I don't know why I fall so easily prey to anxiety about the future, or regret about the past.
This quote of Corrie Ten Boom is such a powerful one. She really was so wise. The power of God is in this moment right now, and that's where I should be. May I always remember that He is my strength, my leader, my peace.
Nice to see you again!
Ceil

Aritha V. said...

Thank you for the great tips. Sp helpful!

Joy said...

Thanks for sharing from wisdom from God's word!