Sunday, May 10, 2015

Generations, Past and Present


No one is poor who has a Godly mother. ~Abraham Lincoln

I’ve been thinking the last few days of what I loved most about my mother. But I’ve found I can’t choose just one attribute, because all of who she was intertwined, shaping her soul until Jesus shone from her eyes.


She was a woman of substance. A Christian clear to her bones. My mother lived what she professed. She was determined to live life with joy. Even in the hard times she held on to joy with a tenacity that refused to let go. 


I loved shopping with my mother, even as a child and teenager. Women would stop her and ask what she used on her complexion. There were others, strangers to us, who would stop her and ask if she’d pray for them, their children, or for themselves. She was so approachable – largely because of her beautiful smile.

My mother was a lady, and she despaired of ever making me into one. She loved all things pretty. Her grandmother had a china closet full of beautiful dishes, yet she never used them. Mom decided if she ever had anything pretty she would use it. And she did – every day. She never understood why, when there were so many beautiful folders, someone would use a manila one, why pour your drink in a plain glass if you could just as easily use a crystal goblet, or why anyone would use a plain tablet when the stores carried pretty ones.


It’s a joy to see my Melanie reflect Grandma Cessna in so many ways. She’s always fixing a gift for someone. Last week her neighbor was sick, yet had to go to work. It was ballgame night and Melanie was fixing a quick supper of Ramen Noodle soup for her family – a switch for the healthy meals she usually fixes. She made double and took it to her neighbor. Sunshine called her and felt so blessed that Melanie had brought it to her. It was probably the easiest meal she could have shared, but God takes our offerings and blesses them when they are shared in love.

My mother was also very organized. When the family was together for the holidays, every meal had a written (detailed) menu, complete with which table setting she planned to use, even down to how many highchairs we needed. Melanie plans things out in detail; each month every picture is printed and placed in albums, describing the occasion. She creates spreadsheets for her cleaning schedules and she color coordinates her highlighter with the cover of the book she is reading.

My mother was an encourager. This Sheltering Tree bit did not begin with me. She sheltered with tiny bags of surprises – cookies or chocolates, gift books or hand painted china mugs, fun-to-write-on note cards or special pens. Not only does Melanie have an active encouragement ministry, but her daughter already shelters others. Morgan is happiest when fixing a special bag for her friends, teachers or family. Mom left behind journals in which she had recorded every card and letter she sent. Both Melanie and Morgan delight in sending mail, too.


There have been so many things I have wished to tell my mother throughout the last six months, but one story would have touched her soul – Melanie has her children’s pictures take on their birthday. So from January-March they are at the photographer’s four times. There was a new photographer this year, Mary, and they got to know her through the appointments. As they were planning their fifth time for a group picture, Melanie mentioned that they should take Mary a thank-you gift. Morgan said, “Maybe we should get her a Bible so she’ll know about God.” Then she asked Melanie if they could ask what Mary believed.

After their pictures were taken and they had chatted a bit, Morgan spoke up and asked what Mary believed. Mary explained her religion (Wiccan – her grandmother was burned for her “faith” in this). Then Mary asked Morgan what she believed. Shawn and Melanie listened with tears in their eyes as 7-year-old Morgan shared that she believed God created the world, that Jesus was God’s Son, and the devil was an angel who sinned against God. Morgan’s heart for God is one of my biggest joys. 


So on this Mother’s Day of 2015, I look back a generation and I am so very thankful for a mother who loved God, her family and others. I look forward a generation and I’m thrilled with the heart for others that my Melanie inherited. And then I see Melanie’s Morgan, and I know my mother’s God lives on in her great granddaughter’s little heart. Four generations serving God and sheltering others. God is good – always -- and I am blessed.




Laura Boggess
Beauty in His Grip Button

 

Women With Intention

6 comments:

Sharon said...

What a precious legacy, and what a precious group of godly women. Pamela, you must be so proud of your family.

I am also the product of a godly mother. I also knew a godly grandmother, and two godly great-grandmothers. Their faith and their inner beauty taught me much about being a "girl after God's own heart"!

Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

GOD BLESS!

Joy said...

What an inspirarion. You are truly blessed

Anonymous said...

Such a legacy! How blessed your family is! Your neighbor at SheLivesFree

Parlor Room Ponderings said...

Such a blessing to have a Godly heritage! Lovely tribute. Visiting from Sharing His Beauty. Have a lovely week! Diane

Mary Dolan Flaherty said...

Pamela, what a beautiful story and what a beautiful family! ...a little child will lead them...wow! You are quite the storyteller...I loved reading this story! You look so much like your mother, I thought that maybe it was you and your picture was old and you'd gone white (since I don't know you, that was a reasonable assumption I think...). I can see the family resemblence in all the women, mostly, as you say, in the smile. Blessings to you all.

Unknown said...

So inspirational! Thank you for linking up at Women With Intention Wednesdays! :)