Saturday, June 20, 2015

My Righteous Daddy


A righteous man walks in his integrity -- how blessed are his (daughters) after him. Proverbs 20:7


This man I call Daddy was the first man I loved. He was the tallest, most handsome, and youngest father in our social circles. I ate liver just like him. I ate buttermilk on my potatoes just like him. My favorite pie was raisin – again, just like him. I thought I was special because I had brown eyes just like his. 



This is the man who made it possible for me to have a Christian Education, who not only served on the board of the school, but was the treasurer, volunteering multiple hours over a period of eleven years. He was a good employer, too. I remember overhearing one employee telling a new worker that he would love working for the Cessnas because they cared about their safety (an extremely important factor in the deep coal mining industry). I can still remember the pride I felt. He took us on our vacations. And oh, how he loved our mother!

He is faithful to church.

He loves his children – and isn’t afraid to tell us so.

He gives the best bear hugs.

He loves monkeys.

He loves eating in new and ethnic restaurants – especially if they have tablecloths and cloth napkins.

He loves blessing others with what God has blessed him with.

He is the best granddad and now, great-granddad. He’s as comfortable reading books under a pink canopy as cheering his grandchildren on as they rollerblade around him.


But never have I been more proud of my Daddy than I have been this year – the hardest year of his life. Never are we as strong as when we are leaning heavy on our Heavenly Father. The last seven months have been so lonely and heartbreaking for him. Yet he has stood strong and tall, enduring this sorrow and living for God. Mom would be so proud. We are all proud. Steve Green’s lyrics are so fitting.



Oh may all who come behind us find us faithful

May the fire of our devotion light their way

May the footprints that we leave

Lead them to believe
And the lives we live inspire them to obey
Oh may all who come behind us find us faithful


Daddy has been faithful. His devotion’s fire continues to light the way for the three generations following him. And on this Father’s Day I just want to say, Thank you, Daddy. You are still my hero.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yes, you've been blessed! (As have I.)

Mary said...

I love these words and I am blessed to have a dad very much like yours. My dad has shown nothing but strength and grace in the last year and a half since my mom died. I love how he continues to teach me everyday of my life. Thank you for sharing these words at The Weekend Brew. Barbie and I are grateful to have you as part of our community.

Marsha said...

You are indeed a blessed woman!

I popped over from The Weekend Brew.

Deanna said...

LOVE this post!!!
Blessings,
d

My Tata's Cottage said...

Pamela you write beautiful words and share the love you have for a terrific dad! I am so happy to see you here at Spiritual Sunday! I noticed a while back so many promoting their own blogs and made me sad! I love knowing all who love their precious families! Many blessings to all and I love your photos! Blessings , Anne

Mindy said...

Sweet!

Mom to 3 said...

Thank you for sharing this tribute to your Dad. I am also blessed with a wonderful Dad. I hope you have a lovely day.

Debbie W. Wilson said...

So sweet and much needed in a day where men are often put down. I love your first photo and tagline!

Sharon said...

Precious, Pamela. A beautiful tribute to a wonderful and faith-full man. His witness to his faith, even in this last difficult year, is something that will never be replaced in the hearts of his family.

I miss my dad, but am so thankful to a Father who was willing to sacrifice His Son for me, and to give us the promise of seeing our loved ones again.

GOD BLESS!