Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Healing for Scars



The extreme greatness of Christianity lies in the fact that it does not seek a supernatural remedy for suffering, but a supernatural use for it. Simone Weil

Scars. Most of us have visible ones – acne scars, chicken pox scars, or, as in my case, a small dent in the middle of my forehead from having stood too near my uncle as he swung a large piece of machinery from the bed of his pickup truck. When my daughter was three, she thought she would “help momma” by carrying the almost-half-her-size sun tea jar from its sunny brewing spot on the sidewalk to the kitchen door. She struggled with all her might.  She tripped.  And for the past twenty eight years, she has sported a scar on her leg, from stitches expertly designed by the doctor.


Yet many of our scars are hidden. Heart scars, soul scars – hidden from view by our smiles and our busyness. Hidden behind the fake cheerfulness of “I’m fine” words. They are scars formed by the broken trust of a friend. They are scars formed in childhood from being outside the “in” crowd and scars from engaging in promiscuity as a teenager. They are scars from a verbally abusive marriage and scars from a defiant child. They are scars of our own making and scars inflicted upon us.

But what kind of an attitude can we have towards the undeniable presence of our scars? We can determine this by first noting the example of our scarred Savior. He had visual scars -- scars from the nails pounded into His hands and feet. He had heart scars from the rejection of those who should had loved Him most. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him (John 1:11). He carried soul scars from rejection by one of His closest friends. It was time for supper, and the devil had already prompted Judas, son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus (John 13:2).


What did Jesus do with his scars? He used them! He comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God (2 Corinthians 1:3-4). Jesus wants access to our heart and soul scars. He takes his own experiential knowledge of how deeply scars go and reaches down to pour His oil of comfort on us. He wants us, in return, to follow His example. His desire is for us to drench ourselves in this comforting oil and offer comfort to those around us -- those who have wrapped their arms tightly around their heart and soul, standing with determination to guard against future scars.


As I stand before Jesus, cupped hands nearly filled to overflowing with my scars, I hear His whispered words, “I know each scar. I was there when each that one was inflicted. I saw your tears when this one cut your heart painfully.” With the mention of each scar, I feel Jesus’ comforting oil as it warms and saturates my scars. Gently the Savior opens my hands, and I watch as my scars pour into people – people I love, people I know, and people I don’t know. With each dropped scar my heart grows lighter, my soul breathes deeper, my being fills with joy.

It is in this giving, this allowing Jesus to use my scars, I see healing like a rubbing of Vitamin E into a visible scar. I look at my scars as a blessing – a reminder of the comfort of Jesus and a knowledge of the healing He wants to bring through me.








10 comments:

Denise said...

wow, such an amazing post.

Rebecca said...


No Scar?
Hast thou no scar?
No hidden scar on foot, or side, or hand?
I hear thee sung as mighty in the land;
I hear them hail thy bright, ascendant star.
Hast thou no scar?

Hast thou no wound?
Yet I was wounded by the archers; spent,
Leaned Me against a tree to die; and rent
By ravening beasts that compassed Me, I swooned.
Hast thou no wound?

No wound? No scar?
Yet, as the Master shall the servant be,
And piercèd are the feet that follow Me.
But thine are whole; can he have followed far
Who hast no wound or scar?
(Amy Carmichael)

I had copied this in the 1960's in a small notebook while a student at Moody Bible Institute. Heard it again recently while watching the almost-three-hour memorail service for Elisabeth Elliot.....

I love your heart, Pamela.

Melanie B. said...

Beautifully written. Thank you for this.

Jelli said...

Beautiful. You're right about scars. God does allow each and every circumstance in our life to be something we can use to minister to others- even the tough ones.

Trudy said...

There is such comfort here, Pamela. How Jesus wants us to open our scars to His healing and how He uses our pain for a purpose. Thank you. I'm your neighbor at Bonnie's.

Marissa Writes said...

Yes, He was there for each and every scar, and I do not need to hide them because only He can heal them.

Thank you Pamela for this one

Marissa

Reading List

Denise said...

Scars are a reminder of how far He has brought us.

Unknown said...

Great way to show us how we can be more Christ like by using our past pain just as He did.

Unknown said...

Wonderful reminder how God makes all things broken beautiful in His timing.

Unknown said...

Scars are wonderful to use to help others in their journey!