Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Let's Give Some Love to our Police Officers




On the darkest day of my life, August 7, 1987, our daughter was lifted out of her crib by angels and taken to the arms of Jesus. Amidst firetrucks and police cruisers, one policeman took the time to kneel on the pavement, and pray with RB and me. I don't remember the words, but remember the comfort they brought.

Several times in the next few months this kind policeman would leave pictures (pencil drawings) for Melanie and notes for RB and me on our car windshield. It was "beyond expectation" behavior, and oh-so-appreciated by the three of us.  

"Beyond expectation" behavior like Don's is repeated over and over throughout the United States. Why do we let the media and anti-cop groups take that truth from us?

Not only do our police officers sacrifice each day, sometimes with their very lives, but their spouses, mothers, and children sacrifice each day their loved one leaves the house, shiny badge pinned, and their gun strapped to their side. They know this police officer they love will be in danger. They sigh with relief when they walk back through the door -- safe at home. And if they don't have that opportunity, they grieve the loss of love and life.

But what's more tragic is the treatment the police officers bear. I say it's time for us to take action. It's time we stood up for the men and women in blue. With every negative we hear, let's proclaim a positive. Let's write letters to our newspaper, praising their efforts. Let's give to the Fallen Trooper's fund. Let's write notes and leave them on their windshields. When we see a police officer dining, pay for their meal. And when we meet a police officer's child, let's shake their hand and thank them for the sacrifice they make so their dad or mom can keep your children safe. 




Our Shelter: Postmarked Group is committed to mailing some encouragement to those police officers we know. And we will be using our address lists to pray safety over our men and women in blue. 

Will you join us? I will be happy to share our list with those of you I know personally and will keep the addresses private. Freely giving them to people I don't know is a risk I don't want to take for these civil servants. I'll be adding a small note to those who have spouses -- they sacrifice, too.  

I want to remember our men and women in blue, because someday I may need a hero -- and you may, too.


I suggest contacting your local police department before preparing a gift. There may be regulations such as pre-wrapped, etc. 

Police Love Mason Jar  Tutorial

Printable Toppers for "Lifesavor" Policemen

M & M Treats for the Men in Blue

Nacho Ordinary Police Officer

Kid's Thank You

Policeman's Jar of Doughnuts





19 comments:

Terra said...

This is a moving post and I heartily agree with you. You share some good ideas here for supporting police officers.

J said...

This is beautiful. I am so touched by your officer's kind gestures that brought you comfort in your time of excruciating sorrow.
I have seen photos of officers rescuing wildlife and domestic pets when no one else would take the risk. I respect and admire them all.
Thank you for posting this wonderful tribute and including ideas for showing gratitude. I'm going to be on alert for opportunities to pay the tab when I see them out for dinner!

Masshole Mommy said...

This is wonderful! I think with all the scary stuff going on in our world, these are all nice gestures.

Amy Jones said...

What a touching post. You are totally right, these men fight everyday for our safety, they deserve to be supported

Eileen said...

Thank you for sharing your story. It is sad that these people, who put their lives on the line to keep us safe are the ones that are usually neglected. Their service is of pure selflessness and we must to our part to acknowledge that. Sharing this post so that others may be aware.

Unknown said...

Oh, this is nice. I like how the officer help you. It is really nice to give back for their work.

Soneia said...

To be honest, it's about time we ended the hate and just start doing random acts of kindness towards one another, no matter if it's the police or not. Everyone needs a bit of appreciation especially these days.

Unknown said...

I think this is an awesome message, and it's a reminder that we all need. Police officers aren't people we can't trust, they live up to their values, and just because some have gone astray doesn't mean the entire police community should be treated with hate. They are people too.

Paula Keane said...

What a fantastic post you've created. I love that you've put a positive spin on everything that's happening.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing - Beautifully written ♥

Tam @ TravellingBookJunkie said...

I can't imagine the heart ache you went through but I can imagine that someone taking the time to care made a real difference. Police Officers really do need to be treated better by people and thanked for what they do.

Unknown said...

A very touching post. I believe there are great police officers and some of the bad ones seem to get all the publicity. I appreciate someone who puts my safety as his job.

Unknown said...

I think this is such a great post. I think thanking a police officer is a great idea. They do deserve to be supported too. They also put their lives on the line for others.

Esme Sy said...

What a beautiful post. Sure, there are a few bad ones, but there are more of them who are good. They deserve our support.

Echo aka The Mad Mommy said...

These are beautiful ideas! Police are important too. We can't hold them all accountable for the actions of some.

Unknown said...

This is a nice post and I'm so glad that officer help you.

Unknown said...

It is really sad how main stream media would focus on the few bad cops, putting all the good cops in a bad light. I salute you for your efforts in giving appreciation to our policemen.

Eileen said...

I am so moved by your post! I am the daughter of a retired New York City police officer and I have a daughter that is waiting to go into the academy! this touched my heart and I am so sorry for your loss You have wonderful suggestions for giving back

alfonzowrods said...

I absolutely love love that first infographic! Such amazing inspiration and information all in one pic. the first officer. and damn i can't believe one dies every 61 hours yikes, the truly deserve our respect and gratitude.