Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sheltering sisters

Bless you, my darling, and remember you are always in the heart--oh tucked so close there is no chance of escape--of your sister.
~Katherine Mansfield


She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink. Some days, she's the reason you wish you were an only child. ~Barbara Alpert




I just stood there giggling at the steaming iron. It seems the most ironic memories flood your mind at the least expected times. I looked down at my wrinkled uniform skirt that I was simultaneously wearing and ironing. De`javu attacked me and suddenly I became my sister as I saw a mini me looking up at, well, me. I remembered the day I stared up at my "sissy" and saw her ironing her own skirt she was wearing, warning me, "Emily, don't ever do this." Our very own sister-bonding, "Children don't try this at home" moment.


I finished "ironing" my skirt, unplugged the iron, (you're welcome, Dad!) and ran out the door, coming to the realization that my sister knew what she was talking about. And I probably should have heeded her advice. Ouch.



What are sisters for if not for sheltering? Sometimes you need to reach your leaves out to catch the dust from falling on your very own family members. I had the distinct pleasure to do a little sheltering this summer to one of my most favorite people ever. Technically one and one half of my favorite people ever.
Melanie had an extremely rough summer. I don't know how she was able to stand the bouts of nausea or the pain she was in. She was a trooper. But it just about killed her to clean her house.(Which, if you know her, you know it is kept spotless and beautiful!) So I stepped in to do what little I could to help. A little dusting, a little sweeping, a little warming up of hotdogs! She had kept it up wonderfully before her bedridden state, so my "helping" wasn't some grand act of greatness. It was just something small I could do for someone I loved very dearly to make her feel a little more at ease.



Melanie was a very gracious shelteree. (Is that a word? Oh, well. It is now!) She would do all she could to help me, paying no attention to my pleas for her to Go Rest and Don't overdo it.

Something happened that summer. I found myself being sheltered in becoming closer to my sister. I enjoyed the time I spent with her more than words on a page can describe. Such a beautiful, wonderful woman of God, and I had the honor of spending time, sheltering her...oh! And it makes it a little extra-special knowing that the person you're sheltering is in return sheltering your unborn nephew. Prettyyyy cool indeed!

Love you, Sissy.

2 comments:

Beth Stetler said...

Great post! Keep on blogging.

Melanie C. said...

So I sat down in my rocker, computer on lap, coffee in hand, and thought I would check the blog first after emails. But after I saw and read this post I changed a bit. Now I sit in my rocker, computer on lap, coffee in hand sporting a red, puffy face. Could be the pregnancy (!) but due to the fact of tears streaming down my face and the overwhelming love I feel from you and for you - yes, I feel the same. Thank you. Enough said. Gotta catch more tears...love you, too.