Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Gift of a Smile


Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.  ~Mother Teresa




What a difference a smile makes!  Once when I was at a Writers' Convention in Orlando, Florida, I found myself just wandering around with a joyful smile on my face.  I mean, come on, in three days I had 68 new books all signed by the authors.  For this joy I only had to work two hours at my publisher's display and have a meal with my editor at the Ritz Carlton.  Like that was a problem.  It was the most delightful three days ever experienced in my career.  I was able to speak with Frank Peretti, meet Karen O'Connor who was my first writing instructor, and hear Beth Moore. So the day before I left, I was wearing my joyful smile and two women from the Group Publishing Company stopped me.  "You have the most peaceful smile," one of them commented.  Oh, that smile was easy -- I didn't even have to work at it.

It's harder to smile when the store is out of the bargain they promoted, when your pain level hits seven and it's seventeen degrees and your van needs gas. That's when the test comes.  Can you smile when your surroundings are less conducive for joy?

There are some people who can just make you feel better with their smile.  My pastor's wife and friend is that kind of woman.  I used to live in a parsonage and I know that smiles aren't handed out at the door.  Deaths, disappointment, pressures...lots of things that don't exactly fit the smile worthy category.  Yet she meets us all with her beautiful smile and instantly you are encouraged, cheered and loved.  I've been in stores with her -- restaurants, conventions and church settings.  She willingly bestows her beautiful smile.

This time of year we all need to use our smile.  Store cashiers, waitresses and other shoppers -- they are all tired and, might I say, grouchy.   RB is an absolute winner at this.  He can encourage and cheer a frazzled sales clerk while paying for transmission fluid.  He gives waiters and waitresses a spring in their step by asking about their day.  It's called caring...caring with a smile.  Let's give our smile as a gift this Christmas season.  Not only will your smile have an extra sparkle, you'll find one sparkling back.

A little something to get that smile in shape...

I have a tickle in my brain. 
 And it keeps making the corners of my mouth point toward the heavens. 
~Jeb Dickerson

Smile Starter: Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball

I'm taking this cheese ball tonight to our church fellowship.  Emily's sweet friend Kayla requested it.  So I decided to make her one to take home.  Just a tiny one...just to let her know how special she is to us. 

Kayla and Emily
Gatlinburg 2010
I've got dreams in hidden places,
And extra smiles for when I'm blue.
1 pkg. cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBS brown sugar
3/4 c powdered sugar
3/4 c mini chocolate chips


Mix it all toghther.
Roll in nuts or mini chocolate chips.
Serve with graham crackers.

 




This post is linked to

14 comments:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Pamela,

I have been feeling down and prayed today for an encourager. I do believe you are the answer to that prayer!

Thank you,

Kathy

Designs on 47th Street said...

Good Morning! I am smiling at YOU today! :)

I posted the recipe for my Christmas tree bread today if you'd like to try it. Please let me know if you do!
Donna

Carole Poirot said...

Bonjour Pamela, thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog, yes, sitting down for a bit of stollen and a chat would be lovely - and make me smile :-) Since you (kind of) asked,a stollen is a German Christmas cake made from yeast dough studded with dried fruit and - if they're really good - filled with marzipan. It originated in Dresden during the mid-fifteenth century.

Wishing you a lovely week full of smiles, Love from London xo

Holly said...

Smile! Yes, I need to remember that today!

And I LOVE chocolate chip cheeseballs...they are so yummy!

Wendy M said...

Hi Pamela

Thank you for choosing to follow my site. I hope to take a better look around your blog today (as I have a little spare time this afteroon). I have chosen to follow your blog also (although for some reason, I am showing as a fairy cake which was my old profile photo)!!!

Love your scrapbook page above - the red and white colour theme is so very festive and fresh looking.

Speak soon I hope :D
Wendy M (Each Card Tells A Story)

Denise said...

Hi Pam, thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving your lovely comment. Your post today made me smile :) Cute pictures too.
Have a wonderful week and don't be a stranger.
xxx
Hugs
Denise

KimMalk said...

How nice of you to highlight your pastor's wife. A smile is always welcome. Your cheese ball looks good, too, more sweet than savory :).

CHERI said...

Well, all of this certainly makes me want to SMILE! You are so right on with this post. It's amazing what a little smile can do. It doesn't cost us a cent to give one and it can make both the giver and the receiver feel a little warmer inside. Hope you and yours have a very Merry & Blessed Christmas!

CM said...

Oh, what a lovely post! Thanks for this wonderful reminder to smile today :-)

nic said...

Ms. Pamela! Thank you so much for your sweet comments on my tree art! I feel so proud of it...it's sitting snugly with all my store bought Christmas decorations on our mantle. Your blog header is so beautiful! See you around!
Oh, and I just posted a giveaway that you're welcome to enter if you'd like! It's for celebrating 100 followers! Have a very blessed week & Merry Christmas!

GoodyGirlRed said...

I love to smile :) this post will keep me smiling all day--thanks!

Rebecca said...

I ♥ genuine smiles! Thanks for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Pam, thanks for this reminder. A friend of my husband's is a CEO of a major company. Several years ago he and his wife took us out to eat at a fancy restaurant. I noticed how he made everyone at the restaurant feel special, from the guy who poured our water on up. He really stopped and looked at them, took the time to call them by name, asked how they were, etc. You could tell they were really taken aback because so few people ever showed them true attention, especially at a nice restaurant where "snobby" people tend to eat. Anyway, I remembered how special that was, so Rich and I always try to do the same when we are in customer service situations. You wouldn't believe the number of comments and freebies we've gotten over the years because of it (not that we do it to get freebies!). Once we were at a restaurant in New York City, just being ourselves and not really trying to be extra nice, although we did have some laughs with the server. She brought us a decadent dessert after our meal -- on the house -- and said we were the best customers she'd had in a long time. Wow, how neat to hear that! I guess it also tells you how rude and uncaring some folks are -- but as you said, it's so easy to smile and be nice!
And yes, I remember our lovely lunch at the Ritz. I'll never get over how they brought the sugar for the iced tea in liquid form. So cool! Glad I got to share that with you.

Christy S.

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

This looks delicious! I don't know anyone who wouldn't smile if they had some of this. :) Thank you for linking up to Homemade Christmas!