Thursday, December 9, 2010

Snowman: Unassembled

Snowmen fall from heaven unassembled.



One of my favorite things to do while shopping is wander around the Dollar Spot at Target looking for treasures I can use for gifties.  Gifties are small packages to let my friends know I'm-thinking-of-you, I'm-sorry-your-heart-hurts, or You're-special-to-me. 

Oh, how delighted I can get over these tiny finds.  Along with the gifties, I can get just as excited over packaging for my gifts.  Whether something to tie onto my gift, present my gift in, or give me a new idea, I get so much joy over these dollar ideas.

One day last month I came across a tiny tin pail.  Actually it was among the new Christmas offerings and it was Callling. My. Name.  I only bought one.  What could I have been thinking?  I went back for more, but they were GONE!  That's the problem with the Dollar Spot.  It's a get-it-now-or-be-sorry kind of place.

Well, you have to remember, it was November and the beautiful leaves were covering the ground so I knew I needed to wait for snow. I didn't, however, need snow to ponder on the purpose of my little tin.  And then it came to me.  A Snowman Kit!
I waited for the white stuff to cover the ground.  Today it snowed lazy flakes and I knew it was THE DAY.  I texted Emily, "Please stop at the store and get carrots.  Not the baby ones we like to eat--get snowman carrots." 

For 51 cents I bought fleece (1/8 yd) and fringed the ends.  I used unbreakable blue tree balls for the eyes, tinsel for the smile and buttons for the, well, buttons.  I'll add a tag and some ribbons, and viola--Build a Snowman is done!


So, price breakdown is:

$1.00 for the pail
51 cents for the scarf



This past weekend we were in a bookstore in Gatlinburg and I found Alice Schertle's "All You Need for a Snowman."  It was 3.99 and it needed a home.  After all, every giftie sparkles with a book.  Buying a book sometimes tips the scales in the allotted $$ department and really, the gift is enough.  But I just have this book gene in me that can't pass them up.  So don't feel like you have to add the suggested book.  It truly is the thought that counts.   And this is a $1.51 + carrot thought.

Never think sheltering children isn't as important as adults.  Jesus loved children, used children for illustrations, and reminded us in Deuteronomy 7 the importance of teaching our children about God.
And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. 
And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children.
Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when you are getting up again.
Tie them to your hands as a reminder, and wear them on your forehead.
Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
That's why I'll be tucking a Scripture verse into my tin:  Take away my sin, and I will be clean. Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow  (Psalm 51:7).

In Bedford, where Melanie and Emily were born, we were blessed to be with people who took time to shelter our "little" girls.  Their love helped mold them into who they are today.  So think of it...who can you shelter with A Snowman Kit?  I already have a sweet little girl in mind for mine.

 

21 comments:

Lorna said...

Too, too cute!!! Let's just hope the little recipient doesn't chow down on the 'snowman' carrot before he gets to wear it!! And I'm a poet and don't know it! LOL Love you so much!!

Gail said...

What a cute idea! Thanks for sharing it with all of us. I'll have to remember this.

Have a wonderful day,
Gail

Esther Asbury said...

Absolutely adorable idea --- makes me wish we got enough snow to "need" one of these! I will be keeping it in mind though for the kids I know that live in "snow country."

Rebecca said...

As usual, another precious, practical and personal idea!

Kim M. said...

How cute! I love it!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

What a neat idea! :) Love it!

Creative Mind said...

A very sweet idea...Thanks for following,I am following back with LOVE...stay blessed...

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi, Pamela!

I love your post and your blog. I can tell that you put so much work and detail into making things just so.

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit and say hello.

God bless,

Kathy

Julie Harward said...

Hi, thanks for your visit to my blog today. This is a cute ides here and you have a nice blog too. Come say hi any time :D

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

I love Target's dollar spots. But you are right. If you see it you better grab it or it'll be gone. The little pails are adorable.
I haven't read that book. Going to look for it.
Thanks for the follow. I'm now following you too! So nice to meet you. I sent an email to your inbox.
Have a great weekend!

Trisha said...

I love putting together fun gifts like this and I have never thought of a snowman kit-such a wonderful idea!! Thanks for stopping by!

~Trisha

RicKaren said...

Very beautiful post! LOVE the idea for the snowman kit and all the other stuff I see here on your blog! Thanks for visiting mine, I love to meet new members of my (God's) family.

Holly said...

What a cute gift! Thanks for visiting my blog! I am following you back!

Tracey said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and your sweet comment! I love the snowman kit. I will certainly be back to visit your lovely blog.
Blessings,
Tracey

Sweet European Dreams said...

super cute idea - my kids would flip over this, and you can't beat the cost! I'm still regretting not buying some cute $1 mini mail boxes from Target last year... Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today - have a blessed weekend! -diane

Jacqueline said...

So nice to have you visit. I agree the $1 spot at target is really fun and they have a lot of good things that are great for little gifts and crafts anytime of year. Great little project and gift.

ruşyena said...

Hi, thanx alot for your visit my blog and follow it. Your blog is very nice and your idea is very good.
have a nice day!
rusen

Honey at 2805 said...

Thanks for the comment you left on my blog where you mention my piano and that your husband is a musician. It is 100 years only, fully restored and the sound is as beautiful as it looks. I follow you and hope that you will consider doing the same.

The snowman kit is a sweet idea. Thank you.

Anji* said...

I love the idea of a 'build a snowman' kit! The cute tin pail and the book make it :)

Cindy said...

A Snowman kit, what an amazing idea! I could give that to my grands, their yard is full of snow, not the ones on the Washington coast, though, they may not see any more snow this Winter. Hard to say...maybe I should! I'm glad you found me, I just had to come over for a visit.
God bless!
Hugs, Cindy

Anonymous said...

Such a cute kit! I'm sure it spreads smiles exponentially.
Maggie