Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lamp Unto my Feet



"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. It's words will I hide in my heart that I might not sin against thee." 
~The Bible


"I'm gonna hide God's Word inside my heart
                          and learn each word from   memory --
 I'm gonna hide God's Word inside my heart
                          until each word's a part of me!"
 

These words are from the chorus my parents taught me when I was a little girl. Of course it sounded more like "...each word f-wom mem-oar-wee..." since "R" was extremely difficult for me at that time! But it doesn't really matter how you would pronounce the words - they still can convict me. His (God's) Word needs to be a part of me. For me, it's easy to know what the Scripture says, but totally another to actually take it to heart and lean upon it.

In 2008, I  began helping my boys memorize Scripture. When they completed a verse they  placed a sticker beside the reference I jotted down on construction paper. (Somewhere along the way I became slack and we stopped.)


 Fast forward to 2010. Their Sunday School teacher had sent a laminated book mark which had Scripture printed on it. We have memorized some of those. Sometimes it's fun to do a theme. Christmas? Memorize about the birth of Christ. Valentine's Day? Memorize about love. (Or you could turn it into a craft like we did (here)  and just familiarized ourselves with 1 Corinthians 13.) 

Easter? Jesus' death and resurrection or John 3:16. ...and so on and so on.
We put a little funky twist on memorizing around here. Since I grew up in Leonard Sankey's church, I learned to love tying a song to the theme of a particular verse. (His song-tagging was done with testimonies during a service.)

Example

Verse:
Psalm 36:7 "How excellent is thy loving kindness, oh God;
therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wing."


Chorus:
"Under His wings, under His wings -
 Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings, my soul shall abide -
 Safely abide forever." (Add motions, too.)



 I have added a clip of my children saying verses they have memorized to give you an idea of how we go through the Scriptures.




Do you think they can remember these verses later on in life? Certainly! I remember hearing about Jimmy (a family friend who had attended an ACE school where he memorized a Scripture for each PACE and also memorized 12 verses or so each month from a section of Scripture)... He graduated, married, and pursued his goals, only to encounter some very difficult circumstances; on one occasion while sharing his heart with his mother, and he told her what an encouragement those many verses of God's Word he had hidden in his heart during those school days had been to him.


Let me leave you with this book: Discipleship in the HomeExcellent Scriptures in the back of the book just waiting to be memorized!


God will honor your time and sacrifice in memorizing His Word and teaching your children, grandchildren or whomever you come in contact with...Just make sure you put those words into practice! Let His Words comfort you, call you closer to Him, and cultivate a yearning to learn more. Oh, that they will be your lamp and light to guide you until His faithful return! That is my desire - will you let it be yours as well? Now get memorizing!

This post is linked to:

Boost My Blog Fridays
Follow Me Friday

Home Grown Families

15 comments:

Marsha Young said...

My guess is that your children will remember when they are older. I am now older than the hills, and I still remember the verses my mom made us memorize. She would stop us at the front door each morning on our way out to school and have us recite that week's verse.

By Friday we could whiz them right off. :)
Good job. ...Marsha

Keli said...

Thanks for linking up to Friendly Wednesday and following me! I'm following you back.

www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com

RicKaren said...

Great post! Thank you! My little girl (4) told me just the other day that, "I have Bible letters hiding in my heart". She got the wording a little confused, but the thought made me happy anyway. :)

Avis said...

Gloria Gaither says it is important to teach our children important truths BEFORE they need them,( even before they understand ) so that when they need those important truths they will be there to help them through a tough spot.

Discovering the Me in Mommy said...

Love your February project!
My toddler goes to BSF, and it's so awesome to see her learning how to pray!
following back =)

Candiss said...

Wonderful blog, full of such insightful thoughts and wonderful ideas! Thank you for stopping by my blog. Glad to see you survived your car accident at 16 as well, you have such a beautiful family! God bless

Leetah East
http://leetahinwriting.blogspot.com
http://afkdinner.blogspot.com

Clint said...

I have probably seen cuter things in my life---but I certainly cannot remember when. Your children are precious, and this is so heart-warming. Thank you, Melanie!

Elizabethd said...

I so agree, whatever children learn in their early years will always be with them.
I can still, at my advanced age, say the little prayer that my mother taught me...
"Gentle Jesus, meek and mild
Look upon a little child,
Pity my simplicity
Let me grow to be like thee."

Hug a tree with me said...

I'm your new follower, check me out at http://hugatreewithme2.blogspot.com whenver u can:)

Diane said...

Wonderful post and yes I remember those verses Ÿ

Frances said...

Following back :)

Esther Asbury said...

Great Ideas Melanie -- I like what Avis wrote -- so true! Love your Feb. verse board!

lesapeamusings.blogspot said...

Hello Pamela, Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. I do hope your husband will love the Baked eggs in Bread bowls.

God Bless, I love your blog very much.
Lisa xx

Glenda Cates said...

Hello, I am from Boost My Blog. I Love your blog and I am a new follower.

Babs said...

Pamela, Wonderful words of inspiration for every day. Thanks so much for welcoming me into the blogging community. You were so kind to take the time to say "hi". Hope you have a great Sunday.