Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sisters-in-Christ




In those moments when we open ourselves up to each other in exchanges of laughter, stories and perspectives we have vthe opportunity to grow close and form lasting bonds.  ~Women of Faith





When we moved from Bedford ten years ago, we left behind a group of people we had worshipped with for nineteen years.  It can be difficult to join a fellowship when you only know one or two families.  Ten years makes a big difference, and now I can't imagine life without my dear sisters-in-Christ. 

Welcome letter and lasagna instructions
We attended our church one time before we moved here.  The people didn't know us and we didn't know them.  But they began sheltering us immediately.  DeLynda and her family were at a youth camp during our first days here but made us a heart-warming (and stomach-filling) gift on moving day.  She made lasagna before leaving town.  Good lasagna!  She froze it and attached a note so we'd know how long to cook it.

Each of the sisters I worship with have hearts of love.  Are they perfect?  No.  But then, how could I with my imperfections expect them to be?  My sisters have a heart for God.  And tonight I joined them for breakfast (yes, breakfast!) and fellowship.  

Eleanor, Carisa and DeLynda

Carisa is a wonder with food and organization.  She's so creative--she made the newsletter just for us, complete with a word search comprised of names of all the women of the church.  So much good food.  Melanie took a layered dish: Whipped cream on bottom, french vanilla granola, then fresh blueberries and raspberries.  Besides being beautiful, it was delicious.  I took Cherry Sweet Rolls (recipe below). Carisa even made sure JoAnn and I had organic syrup--how sweet is that? 






We were asked to bring our favorite cup.  I took my china mug my mother made.  Melanie took the love mug Shawn got her for Valentine's Day.   If you've never had white mango peach tea you should--it's now my second favorite.  (Blueberry is still #1.) Unless you count Tazo but that's in a category all of its own. 

Melanie with her love mug

Eleanor's decorating is always beautiful and tonight was no exception.  When I walked into the room I could smell coffee.  So awesome.  There were coffee beans down the center of the tables with  hazelnut candles and tiny coffee related plaques on easels.  The food table was gorgeous, too.  Of course the warm shades of brown, rust and gold are my favorites. 



I hope you've enjoyed experiencing our fun.  Maybe you can get some ideas to use at your own women's meeting.  Most of all, I hope you can feel the love we have for each other, practical love as we planned meals for one of our sisters who had two surgeries recently. Joyful love as we laughed and shared about life.  And most of all, God's love which is the glue that joins our hearts and urges us to be the best sisters that we can be.


I won one of the door prizes--Could there be a better prize?


* * * * *

Sweet Cherry Rolls

1 cup warm water
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
4 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp. yeast

Put the ingredients in your bread machine in order given.  Use dough setting.  When dough is ready, make 20 balls and place on baking sheets.  Press each ball firmly in middle and fill with cherry pie filling (I use no sugar added)  Allow to rise 45 minutes and bake at 350 degrees 17 minutes.  Drizzle with glaze.



This post linked to:
Sweets for a Saturday
Buzz On By Thursday
Having Fun Blog Hop
Welcome Wednesday
Feeding Four
Wandering Wednesday
Follow Me Wednesday

22 comments:

Unknown said...

So fun !!!
I am glad you have them in your life :)
following from take it from me blog.
Would love if you drop by and do the same !
Have a lovely day !
http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com

Forty and Trying to be Fab said...

How wonderful to have such a support group.Great blog! Thanks for the follow. now following you back

Rebecca said...

What a beautiful event! And I'm going to try those rolls. I've never made anything except bread in my breadmaker, and I think it's about time.

Megan said...

New GFC follower from Welcome Wednesday, I'd love a follow back if you get the chance.http://realadventuresfromamomof3.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

those cherry rolls look AMAZING!

new follower from welcome wednesday! hope you stop by my blog!
http://littlemissemmylou.blogspot.com/

Kari said...

Sisters in Christ are such a wonderful thing to have! I wish I had more time to spend with mine.

Marci said...

Thanks so much for the follow. I am here to return the favor. Have a great day!

Unknown said...

Hey Pam,

Just wanted to say thank you for joining our Welcome Wednesday blog hop! We hope to see you stop by weekly and even maybe enter some of our giveaways and check out our freebies & deals! We are so happy to be new followers of your blog and can't wait to come back! You are more than welcome to grab our special Welcome Wednesday button which will link you directly to our hop each week & that also helps spread the word about our great event!

THANKS!
Kristin & Jaime
--
Take It From Me

Esther Asbury said...

Sounds like a beautiful (in more ways than one) gathering!

Unknown said...

Those rolls look so yummy, my sisters in Christ are very special to me too I don't know what I would do without them.

Judy said...

This is a great post. So glad you have Sister in Christ in your life. Have a blessed week :)

Grandma Bonnie said...

Thanks for following. I am following back.
http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Pamela, what a sweet post. Our church closed around 1995, and then I moved away ... I have missed my church family so much over the years. I am in touch with some of my church sisters through Facebook, and have found that there is a bond there that will never break. God bless!

Quirky Homemaker said...

Mmmm. . . the sweet cherry rolls sound so good. Following now from the hop.
Michelle
http://www.heartfeltbalancehandmadelife.blogspot.com

Sweet European Dreams said...

We had a wonderful church family in Austin for many years. Now that the military moves us often, we are constantly starting over in a new place. The blessing in this is that the Lord always gives us a wonderful new church family in every place that we've moved, so you could say that our church family is expanding - worldwide!
Thanks for stopping by my page this week! -diane

Jan at Jewelry4Changeh said...

Hello, I found you on the Having Fun Blog hop. Love your site and I'm looking forward to reading more. The cherry rolls look delicious. Thanks for sharing!
Have a great day,
Jan

Miz Helen said...

Hi Pamela,
Your Sweet Cherry Rolls look delicious for such a special event. I teach 22 ladies in a Bible Study, some of us have been together for a number of years. Each one is such a blessing in my life. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week end! God Bless...

Amy said...

How sweet and fun. It's lovely to have sister like these. :)

Amy
http://utry.it

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Wonderful post! Thank you for your visit...I've signed on to follow your lovely blog!

Betsy Brock said...

Oooh...I want a cherry roll right now! :)

Amy said...

Hi again! :) I'm hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle for March--the theme is Cookies. Would you like to join in for the fun? All you have to do is link up your cookie creation. I can see these cookies are perfect for this month's theme. I have some great prizes waiting. Hope to see your entry soon!

Amy
http://utry.it/2011/03/culinary-smackdown-battlecookies.html

Lisa said...

Mmm, love your idea for a sweet bread. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.