Monday, March 28, 2011

Fruitful Sheltering


Love is the key. Joy is love singing. Peace is love resting. Patience is love enduring. Kindness is love's touch. Goodness is love's character. Faithfulness is love's habit. Gentleness is love's self-forgetfulness. Self-control is love holding the reins.  ~D.G. Barnhouse



Emily learned the fruit of the Spirit when she was quite young.  I don't remember her age, but when she was eight she was reading one of my magazines and came across an advertisement for Zondervan's Fruit of the Spirit Bible Studies.  The books were fanned out so that you couldn't see the title of each one.  Emily couldn't understand why there were only eight books.  I wrote to Zondervan and this is what they said. 

Page in Emily's Self Esteem Notebook
Dear Pamela,
Your daughter is perceptive!  We bundled "goodness" with "kindness."  Stores have an easier time displaying on their shelves 8 titles (or at least an even number) in a Bible study series.  To go outside that standard can cause confusion among restocking clerks in stores.

Now at eighteen, the fruit of the Spirit are evident in her life.  Each fruit.  Kindness and goodness aren't bundled together.  Each one is evident and distinct.  When others tell me Emily is just naturally sweet, I want to protest.  Nobody is naturally sweet.  Terry Fullam said, "The fruit of the Spirit grows only in the garden of obedience."  Obedience is a choice.  It is only through a consistent choice to obey that God's fruit grows in Emily and in her momma! 

Here's what Emily wrote at age eight:

I came up with a neat game to help me grow the Fruit of the Spirit in my heart.  I filled a basket with fruit (Mine is plastic, but it can be fruit you have drawn.)  Each fruit will represent a Fruit of the Spirit.  Each week I will pick a fruit and concentrate on applying it to my life.  This week's fruit is peace.  With the war beginning I have a lot of fears.  I'm learning the verses,"He will keep in perfect peace all who trust in him, whose thoughts turn often to the Lord" (Isaiah 26:3) and,"I will lie down in peace and sleep, for though I am alone, O Lord, you will keep me safe" (Psalm 4:8).  Each verse is printed on a fruit and when I learn it I put it in a basket we made for the door.  Mom tries to fix something for a snack in the flavor of the fruit I pick.  What's really good is apples dipped in caramel sauce or sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar!

Photo by Emily
How about you -- Are the Fruit of the Spirit evident in your life?  I found this "where we live" worksheet by Dave Ahl to rate them in my life.  You may want to use it yourself.  I (and I believe my dear readers) desire these fruit to be evident.  It's easy to be discouraged at the "slow growth."  After we plant a seed, we watch for the first tiny shoots, then it grows larger, sturdier. The fruit is the last to appear.  Plant seeds of love, joy, and peace.  It won't be long until others will see your fruit and be challenged to "taste and see that the Lord is good" -- the comfort and blessing of your sheltering tree...


* * * * *

Fruit Salsa Blessing

Photo by Emily
Kiwi
Apples
Strawberries
Pineapple
2 T white sugar
1 T brown sugar
3 T jelly (I used sugar free peach)

Dice the fruit. You can use any fresh fruit you have on hand. Add the sugars (Splenda works) and jelly.  Mix well.  Brush melted butter on tortillas.  Cut each tortilla into six pieces.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes.  

Emily is a fruit lover so I blessed my family with this recipe.  I also made up a basket for a dear friend.  I really wished I had a book to go with this gift.  Super Fruit Blueberries: Improve your memory and your eyesight would have been a fun book -- just because my friend would have seen the humor.  But what I would have picked if I would have thought through the project a bit longer is Living Beyond Yourself: Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit by Beth Moore.
Linked to:

17 comments:

Avis said...

Always enjoy your posts :) Such good reading.

Unknown said...

Very nice! Thank you for stopping by and following my blog. I am your newest follower. Happy Monday!

Vickie
http://victoriasvoice44.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I think Emily has a brilliant idea that I can use with my kids -- taking each fruit of the Spirit per week and really practicing it. I can't wait to get started!!! Yay!

Bethe77 said...

Cpied the hand out thank you.
Blessings

Kim M. said...

I love the plastic fruit idea!!! Your other ideas are also great.

We created lapbooks last year using the following link...
http://www.lapbooklessons.com/FruitoftheSpiritLapbook.html

Rachy said...

What a beautiful girl Emily must be! I only hope I can live in the fruits of the Spirit like she does

Donnie said...

That was such a lovely post and recipe. We could all use more of the fruits of the Spirit.

RicKaren said...

I always enjoy your posts so much! Helpful and inspiring!

Tiffini said...

this is just perfect! this truth "The fruit of the Spirit grows only in the garden of obedience." Obedience is a choice. It is only through a consistent choice to obey that God's fruit grows in Emily and in her momma! I loved!
obedience yes...so key isn't it. good good stuff here today:)
xo

Cooking Up Faith said...

What a beautiful blog!! I heard once about the when we are walking in line with the Holy Spirit it is like we are in an orchard. When we are not in step with the Holy Spirit we have stepped out of the orchard. In the orchard fruit is plentiful, outside of it, fruit is not plentiful.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful mosaic. At age 8, the writeup is wonderful.

Unknown said...

I love that your daughter has such a precious heart and her idea at eight!! And I love how you protest when others say 'she is naturally sweet' wanting to highlight the Holy Spirit--as it should be!

You are such a wealth of knowledge Pamela...I love and so appreciate your heart:-)

Sandy said...

Pamela, I'm glad you liked learning the complete version of The Serenity Prayer. I love reading and studying about and trying to live out the Fruits of the Spirit. All of your posts are wonderful! Thank you for sharing! Thank you for this recipe!

no spring chicken said...

What a beautiful reminder that what is worth having is worth the effort it takes to develop. I love the way your daughter worked this into her training. I am also going to stash your recipe for fruit salsa and hold the idea of giving it with a book. Thanks for the encouragement! Blessings, Debbie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm now following you, too. :) I'm looking forward to browsing through your blog some more--I'm an avid writer, too!

morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love your blog!!!

I'm a new follower from the Thursday blog hop. I would love a follow back! Have a fabulous Thursday!

Hope
http://www.peanutbutterandhopey.com

LaVonne said...

I love these ideas! Thanks for sharing this. I want my own daughter to cultivate these fruits with God's help. (I do too!)

Blessings!

Long Wait For Isabella