Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Light of Easter

Tomb, thou shalt not hold Him longer;
Death is strong, but Life is stronger;
Stronger than the dark, the light;
Stronger than the wrong, the right;
Faith and Hope triumphant say
Christ will rise on Easter Day.”
~Phillips Brooks~


Bulls, goats, a spotless lamb.  The Old Testament is full of  sacrifices -- each one using the blood of the animals as an atonement for sin.  Still there was a darkness over the earth.  The darkness of sin that required the earth to be flooded, darkness that led to the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, darkness that led King Saul to the witch of Endor and led Jeremiah to walk the streets of Jerusalem forty years pleading for the city to turn to God.

Photo by Emily
Then Jesus came -- He came with miracles, love of sinners and warnings for those who revel in rules without grace.  He came from Heaven to a dark, dark world.  And with that coming, lived as a sinless man.  Still, the world needed bulls, goats, a spotless lamb for atonement. 

Then Jesus died -- betrayed by one of His closest friends, condemned to die at the hands of a man who found no fault in Him.  Jesus became the sacrificial Lamb -- atoning for our sins.  He died, but oh, there's a difference in this Lamb.  Yes, Jesus was chosen because He was sinless.  Yes, He died for our sins.  And, yes, in His death He was separated even from God, His Father.

Then Jesus arose -- the sealed tomb wasn't an obstacle, the guards couldn't guard him, and on that glorious morning, the devil shuddered realizing the Light illuminated the darkness he craved.  The resurrection gives us a living sacrifice.  The world no longer needs bulls, goats or a spotless lamb for atonement.  In death, the veil of the temple was torn from top to bottom -- to signify the end of animal sacrifice -- sending light streaming through the Holy of Holies.  In resurrection, the light of grace shined brightly to illumine our darkened path.


Photo collage by Emily

The grace that I hold in my heart wasn't cheap.  It cost Jesus' life, yet was freely given.  The Resurrected Light lived in the hearts of the early Christians, the Puritans in the New World and Jews during the Holocaust. The Resurrected Light lived in the hearts of my grandparents and parents. That same Light drove the darkness from my heart and filled it with light -- the Light of Easter.








* * * * *
Easter Song Candles
I asked RB and Emily their favorite Easter season song.  RB -- He Lives.  I should have know that.  I've heard him tell the story behind the writing of He Lives so many times throughout the years.  Emily -- Because He Lives. I chose Charles Wesley's And Can it Be for my favorite.


Photo by Emily
He left his Father's throne above
(so free, so infinite his grace!),
emptied himself of all but love,
and bled for Adam's helpless race.
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
for O my God, it found out me!
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
for O my God, it found out me!

I scanned the songs in the computer, cropped them to the size I wanted and printed them on parchment.  After cutting them, I used my Martha Stewart scalloped punch (found at a reduced price at TJ Maxx) for the edges.  Then all I had to do was glue each one to the candle and add some ribbon. 

These would make great sheltering gifts for any time of the year.  Oh, the Love of Jesus for Valentine's Day, Silent Night for Christmas, There's a New Name Written in Glory for a new Christian, From Every Stormy Wind That Blows for a friend going through a difficult time. 


This post is linked to:


20 comments:

Terry said...

I've been thinking about grace all week and you post was a wonderful topper!! Enjoyed your candle idea also. Have a wonderful Lord's day!

no spring chicken said...

I love this idea!! Beautiful.

Kerrie said...

Dear Pamela, Thank you for stopping by to visit me earlier today. I was greatly encouraged by your visit and kind words. I really like your families blog! Such an inspiration and a great blessing to me. What a precious idea for adding a loving and very personal touch to candles. Wow! Thank you Pamela, I have really enjoyed my visit here. I hope you won't mind me adding myself to your followers list. God's blessings to you and your family. With love and care from Kerrie. xOx

Donnie said...

That was a beautiful post full of the love and grace of the Lamb. That is a great idea for a decoration for the season. Have a blessed Sunday.

Rebecca said...

Now this is one even I can do! What a great idea, Pamela.

I think MY favorite is "He Arose" (but as surely as I pick a favorite, ANOTHER favorite will pop into my mind...)

Renee Ann said...

Beautiful, beautiful . . . Love this exalting post!

Anonymous said...

Pamela,
Thanks for your visit. Yes, great minds....
What a beautiful and glorious post! I'm going to explore more of your wonderful blog now...

Vintagesouthernlife said...

You told the Easter story so beautifully. My favorite is "He Arose."
I love your candles. This makes such a wonderful gift... a gift with a message.

Cathy said...

A very beautiful post and images, Dear ~ Blessings ~

Gayle said...

This is one of my favorite times of the year. Such a time of contemplation and rejoicing.

Saleslady371 said...

Love your title and I love to remember that Jesus is the resurrected light. He drives out darkness everywhere.

Dawning Inspiration said...

Just seeing the words "He Lives" has the song going through my head! ;o)

Lyryn said...

Wow, I was just looking at your blog and it's fantastic! Love your faith, love your love for the Father! So glad you found me! :)

Esther Asbury said...

Beautifully written, Pam. May we all give a bit more thought to letting that light shine THROUGH us.
Love your candles too -- have you ever seen the "stamping on candles technique?"
Here's a neat link/tutorial for it....
http://ourdailybreaddesignsblog.blogspot.com/search?q=candles
Some pretty candles:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1859829?&cat=4519
Another fun way to do it - great gift idea
http://jill031070.blogspot.com/2010/10/more-candles-free-tutorial.html

Patti Hanan said...

Pam, this is so beautifully written. Praise be to God that Jesus paid our debt, and was the perfect sacrifice. Thanks be to God for the Light that shone through the darkness. Thank you for this inspiring post.

Teresa Kline said...

this is awesome, a blog of your daughters and granddaughter...very sweet......thanks for sharing the Easter message...I adore the sheet music...how appropriate...hope you have a blessed week!

enjoy *~*

KD Photography said...

Hi Pamela!! Thank you for stopping by my blog through Meet & Follow! I'm a newbie to the blog world, so it's always nice to befriend new people!

Look forward to reading more from your blog!

Have a wonderful day!
Kimberly

ellen b. said...

Love your Easter mosaic. And Can it Be is a special hymn to me. Have a great week!

Kim M. said...

Beautiful post and idea!

Andrea @ Keepin it Thrifty said...

thank you for your sweet comment on my blog today :0