Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Just a Kid Beneath it All



The imitation of Christ does not mean to live a life like Christ, but to live your life as authentically as Christ lived His.  ~Henri Nouwen


The policeman stood before me, dressed in his blue uniform, hat perched on top of his  head, ticket book in hand.  On a closer look I saw the radio in his pocket, shiny badge on his hat and, gulp, hand cuffs.  Surely this "policer man" wouldn't be too hard on a grandma.  Think again!  He was giving me a ticket for speeding, not wearing a seat belt AND being bad.  Wait a minute -- being bad? 

I looked a little closer at the face under the hat.  Hmmm...beautiful bright blue eyes, deep dimples -- and were those pjs peeking out under his police jacket?  Sure enough, it was just a kid beneath the police clothes. 



I quickly paid my fine of two cookies but couldn't help but think how often I, too, feel like a kid beneath my clothes -- an imposter.  Someone sees my daughters and comments on the great parenting job I did.  I remember the days I was impatient, when I expected too much out of my three-year old, and spent too many hours at the computer instead of planning tea parties.  I'm just a kid beneath my parenting garb.

I hear, "You're so organized," and in my mind I open every cupboard and closet. I may have all the fancy file folders, a beautiful piece of furniture masquerading as a file cabinet and matching hangers, but behind my numbered tubs of craft supplies I'm just a kid, trying to mark off my entire to do list in record time.



Then there's the Bible teacher title.  I love digging out those nuggets of truth, following the people of the Bible through the days of their lives, trying to connect them to my own life and to the lives of those I teach.  Yet behind all my manuscripts, my Bibles of many translations and books of Bible backgrounds, there's a kid who feels like I've barely scratched the surface of what God wants to share with me. 


Do any of you have days you just feel like a kid trying to dress up as someone else?  I wonder who I am if I'm not the good mother, organized homemaker, deep Christian I'm dressed up to be.  And in the middle of my wondering the Holy Spirit gently whispers, "Your identity isn't what you do or fail to do.  Your identity is who you are in Christ." 

It is God who enables us, along with you, to stand firm for Christ. He has commissioned us, and he has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything he has promised us (2 Corinthians 1:21-22).

How that frees the bondage in my heart.  I don't have to be what people say I am.  I can be real, authentic. 

So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it (Colossians 3:12).

I like the style choices of God.  He has chosen me--and my all-purpose dress.  I have to grow into some of the wardrobe; I'm not a kid beneath it all, but a woman with a heart for God--filled with the Holy Spirit. 

16 comments:

Sherry Sherron said...

Thanks for sharing. I think we all need to be reminded of this. And I love the pictures of the little guys!

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Your grandsons?? so sweet. Lovely little boys...Its great that God is not a policeman issuing a fine whenever we break the rules. We would be in big trouble should it be so. I thank Him as I know you do also, for paying the price so that we are free. God Bless Pamela.x

Janet said...

What a beautiful and encouraging post! Thanks!

Dawn Lopez said...

What a nice and thought invoking post! I also love the pictures, just so adorable. This is my first time visiting your blog, its really lovely ;))

I am a new follower hopping on by! Hope you will visit us sometime at www.justmarriedwithcoupons.com

Thanks,
Dawn

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

I love the pictures. They look so cute.

And your right...we are so often just a kid beneath the clothes!

Esther Asbury said...

Can't tell you how many times I've felt just like that -- a kid who doesn't always know what she should be doing or how to go about it when I figure the first part out. I'm comforted by the verse that says "GROW in grace" and into the person God means me to be!

AmberFaith said...

Newest follower from the Thirsty Thursday blog hop! Would love for you to stop by and follow back! Have a great day! (:

Amber
http://beautifullybellafaith.blogspot.com

Bethe77 said...

Thank you so much for that post. It was difaintly how I feel some times an imposter. Perfectly said with the use of the speeding grandma and the cost. Oh so beautiful! The boys are darling!I love that God has given us the perfect clothing and we do ahve to grow into some adn otehrs fit jsut fine. Thank you for making me feel a bit more polished today. (Smiles)
I love coming here you always up lift and inspire. Thank you.
Blessings

Unknown said...

For so long I have wrapped myself up in the identity of what I did and how the world saw me. I am just starting this journey of identifying who I am in Christ. It takes time getting comfortable in me.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Pamela,

You have put it all so beautifully for us to understand, once again. Thank you so much. These days I don't feel so much that I am an impostor, but what I can't believe is that it has been 35 years since I graduated from high school ... and I AM trying to get everything all done at once too, like you said.

I also like what you said about us still being little kids underneath. I see that in guys, but perhaps I should be looking for that in girls too. :>)

Thanks for stopping by today and saying hello. It means so much to me when you do.

God bless,

Kathy

Mary @SweepingMe said...

What a great post. ~ So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it (Colossians 3:12). ~ Thank you!

Mary/Sweeping Me

Making Memories 1999 said...

Thank you! This post touched my heart. And those scriptures are challenging! Blessings...

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

What a thought provoking post - about our identity.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a lovely comment.

Fondly,
Glenda

p.s. Wish we could pay all our speeding tickets with two cookies to your adorable grandkids.

Ana V said...

Wonderful post! A great reminder that we need to stop trying to be what other think and just be the person God made.
Also, thank you for stopping by my blog.

Xenia said...

Great post, I love the costumes!

Thanks so much for stopping by, have a great weekend!

Michelle @ Radiant Brown Beauty said...

Hi Pamela, thanks for stopping by my blog :-)
So good to meet another fellow Christian!