Friday, March 18, 2011

Sheltering Myself


A friend will shake your hand in success and he will wash your feet in sorrow.



I have been spoiled today.  Life has been a wee bit tiring the last couple months.  Fun times sprinkled throughout doctors appointments while trying to get some physical issues on track, routine school days, and lots of "busy."  Busy is good, but I've learned the hard way that in the middle of the busyness a little play recharges my batteries.  So today I sheltered myself and played a bit.

My friend, Lorna, and I went to The Ruby Pear Tea Room.  Is there anything more relaxing than drinking tea in a beautiful old house?  We shared news about our families, the good things happening in our ministries and discussed forgiveness -- the giving and receiving of it.

What is it about sharing with a friend that soothes our hearts?  It sweeps down the cobwebs hanging around our hearts and airs out the chambers.  I know God ordained friendship because His friends were important enough to be counted in His Bible.  Abraham was called the friend of God, God talked to Moses face to face as a man talks to a friend, and David was a man after God's own heart.

God has given me many friends throughout the years.  The first friend I remember having was Debbie.  Her family operated a farm and I loved spending the night with them.  They were such a big happy family.  Last year I had the privilege of visiting their Pennsylvania home once again and all the special memories flooded back.  I remember the smell of homemade pasta sauce and the taste of peanut butter Easter eggs Mrs. DeHaven made for each of her children.  ...Just two simple memories, but recalling them brings me great joy.

I had other childhood friends -- some for a season, and many who became lifetime friends.  Some friends I don't hear from for long periods of time, but when we make contact, we pick right up and share our lives again as though there has never been a break in the action.  I have friends I can call or text when I need prayer,  friends I can count on to listen while I talk through things that are bothering me, and friends who mentor, encourage and shelter me.  I am so blessed. 

I'm doubly blessed because I also have a friend who will stick closer to me than a brother.  I have a baby brother -- six years my junior -- who cares for me like a big brother.  He would do anything within his power to help me if I were in need.  But I have a friend closer than Craig.  His name is Jesus.

Several hymns I've known since childhood come to mind when I think of my Friend --  "What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and grief to bear..."  "There's no a friend like the lowly Jesus, no not one, no not one..."  "I've found a friend in Jesus, He's everything to me..." "Friendship with Jesus, fellowship divine..."  And one that's a bit newer, but summarizes it beautifully -- "Yes, in Him I'm fully trusting; yes, in Him I'll conquer all. For I know He saves and keeps me, and He'll never let me fall..."

* * * * *

Lorna brought me a gift today and I wanted to share it with you.  She created the card and it's so special -- ivy leaves, with the words inscribed: Friendship is a Sheltering Tree -- perfect, huh? 


Tea for two...
Catching up on things from yesterday and looking forward to all the tomorrows! 
But I'm especially glad we have today. 
Lovingly, Lorna

There's one friend I didn't mention in my list of friends -- RB is my best friend.  Those of us who can count our husbands as our best friends are truly blessed. 

I wanted to use my new dish, as well as prepare a special surprise for RB.  He's been mentioning something about a chocolate cake, so I took two hours to prepare a treat for him.  I'd post the recipe, but whew...I really don't think many of you want to make one.  Why?  It took 4 bowls, 3 pans, a mixer and more measuring cups, spoons, spatulas and spreaders than I want to dirty in a week.  RB's pleasure did make it worthwhile, but I think I'll try something faster next time I want to bless him -- like penuche.  Here's the recipe for that:

Penuche

3 cups brown sugar
1 cup milk

Slowly bring to a boil.  Boil until mixture reaches soft ball stage.
Remove from heat, add a teaspoon of vanilla and a stick of butter. 
Cool then beat until the mixture begins to thicken.
Add 1/2 cup of nuts, if desired.
Pour into 8" square glass dish.
This post linked to:

16 comments:

Bethe77 said...

That Penuche looks very yummy! you are right I dont think I would want to bake that. Sounds like a lot of dirty dishes. But the end result so worth it.
Friends what a beautiful gift of treasure, or rubys and diamonds and every fine jewel to have in our collection of beautiful gifts to have from our Father. I have many treasured friends much liek your list. I call them my treasures adn jewels as that is what they are to me.
Thank you once again for such an encouraging and up lifting post.
Blessings

Rebecca said...

Pamela, I was "revived" just reading this post. You're right about friends - you're right that I probably wouldn't want to make that cake - and you're right about Jesus!

I knew the songs you posted and took the time to sing through at least the first verses of them. Then I thought of "I've found a Friend, O such a Friend, He loved me e're I knew Him. He drew me with the cords of love, and thus He bound me to Him...."

God bless you today--refresh your body, soul and spirit.

Aliene said...

Your post made me think of a song,
Jesus is the Sweetest Name I know,
And He's just the same ~
As His Holy Name.
That's the reason why I love Him so,
Jesus is the sweetest Name I know.

He is the dearest friend. Thanks for posting this.

Katherines Corner said...

You have a lovely blog, I'm so happy I hopped over. Wishing you happiness, Katherine

milliemorganmedia said...

your blog is so cute. i am your newest follower and i look forward to reading more of your blog. i would appreciate it if you would come check out my blog and follow me too!
http://milliemorganmedia.blogspot.com

milliemorganmedia said...

pamela- you asked what kind of camera i use...i used the canon rebel t1i for this image. it's a starter slr and i hope to advance to an even better one soon! i edit a lot in photoshop adjusting brightness, contrast, levels, and saturation. hope this helps :)

maiylah said...

what a wonderful post...and that cake looks awesome! friends are a blessing and it looks like you're not only blessed with great friends, but am sure you're a blessing to them as well. :)

thank you so much for following my blog; such a pleasure following yours back

blessings always

mymy said...

friends are such special gifts...and your cake looks so inviting!

hi, am your newest follower; would love it if you can follow back. thank you :)

mymy
My bric-a-brac

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Pamela,

What a gentle and a blessing this post was for me to read. I am so happy for you that you had a wonderful time with Lorna. How sweet of you to make that cake for RB.

I've been thinking about friendship a lot too. Like you, my husband is my best friend, and my brother is always there for me. Last night, I spent 3 hours on the phone until it went dead taking with my BFF Nancy. My daughter says, "Old friends are best, because they understand your thought processes."

But, who knows when a new friend will turn into an old friend?

I just wanted to stop in and say hi ... have a wonderful weekend, my new blog friend.

Kathy

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

So, so true...all of it from the needing time to play, to friends and the quote on the card. Your dessert looks wonderful. Enjoy!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Tea with a friend is always wonderful, but there is something magical about getting out to a special place together to enjoy your tea.

Glad you got the refreshment that you needed.

Fondly,
Glenda

Sarah said...

I have a baby brother who cares for me like a big brother too. Sounds like you are a lucky and loved lady!

Style, Decor & More said...

Hi Pamela,
Returning the follow! Thanks for your kind words about my blog.
Your blog is great! The chocolate cake looks great and you and your husband are blessed to have each other!
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Pamela: Thank you for coming by GG2Life. You are so sweet! I love the pic of your family in your header. Can't wait to read more.

Tree said...

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for stopping by my blog and following! I agree... good friends are such a blessing! Glad you got to enjoy your day together. I'm now following your blog too.

Lori Zehr said...

Pamela: I so enjoy tea and old houses. Haven't been to a tea room for quite a long time. What a nice post. Lovely looking dessert--I sort of envy you people that like to cook. Someone mentioned I should have more recipes on my blog and I wish I could, but just don't like to cook much and rarely use recipes when I do. Your cake looked just great!