Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sheltering the Stressed


God tells us to burden him with whatever burdens us.  ~Author Unknown



Chocolate is my go-to when I'm stressed.  How that one ball of Lindt white chocolate truffle can give me the energy to finish my assignment on time!  Popping the ball -- whole -- into my mouth and tasting the smooth liquid chocolate makes letters start dancing across the computer screen, consonants skipping, vowels bouncing and punctuation sedately moving into their correct places.  Ah, white chocolate.

Chicken Soup for the Chocolate Lover's Soul
 But as delicious as it is, sometimes white chocolate just doesn't cut it.  It's then that I wish I lived near a Cracker Barrel.  Have you ever tasted one of their Valo-milk candy bars?  Those white clouds of marshmallow covered in chocolate can make me forget what I'm feeling stressed about.  They are a grown up version of the Mallo cups my dad and I used to get when we went to auctions.  They sold them unwrapped, by the box.  Even then chocolate de-stressed me, although as a child it took much less chocolate to alleviate my  stresses -- like cleaning my room or folding my brother's diapers, learning multiplication tables or enduring spats with my friends.

Today, chocolate covered cherries, Valo-milk candy bars or dark chocolate Mounds can put a smile on my face even if supper burns, the neighbor's cat gets in my van or I arrive home from the grocery store and forgot the laundry soap I needed.  Yes, I am a diabetic and yes, in spite of it there are days that a handful of M & Ms can do what a handful of nerve pills can't.

But some days, I just can't handle the extra sugar grams or there isn't any chocolate in the house.  It's then I turn to prayer.  Doesn't there seem to be something wrong with that confession? 

We do that, though, don't we?  It has nothing to do with believing God answers prayer.  It's just that we don't want to bother God with our daily stresses.  I have one friend who has it right.  Once or twice a week she will call with a "please pray" plea.  It can be as small as, "today is my son's birthday party and I'm feeling stressed," or as large as "we're have to make a decision about our ministry." 

Sometimes I feel like I leave God in the "prayer closet."  I have my prayer time, walk out, then shut the door until the next day.  But moving forward, I want God to stay with me throughout my day.  I want to be able to say, "Help me make this decision," or "Remember Emily; she should be taking her test right now."  The joy of reaching out to touch Jesus' garment, looking inward and feeling His presence as I pray, bowing my head in respect as I present my request, and  turning my eyes upward as my prayers reach the Throne of Grace are all impossible if I shut the door of the closet in God's face.

I have found that when I carry God's presence with me throughout the day it's easier to share my little frustrations with Him.  The hurts of inconsiderate friends, the chronic pain, the deadlines and the requests of my friends -- I can "cast all these cares on Him, for He cares for me."  What a beautiful promise.  All I have to do is give the cares to God.  He does the rest. 

I think I'm going to have to find something else to blame my chocolate habit on.  God's going to be taking care of the stress.

* * * * *

Stress-free Gift

Book: Ollies 1.99
Godiva Chocolates 80% off after Valentines Day
Is one of your friends having a stressful day?  First offer your friend's frustrations to Jesus.  Then gift them chocolate.  It can serve as a visible reminder of prayerful sheltering for your friend.

Ghirardeli Single Vanilla Bean White Chocolate
They'll be hiding in church mailboxes tomorrow.
This post linked to:

33 comments:

Rebecca said...

I share a love of choc.covered cherries & dark chocolate Mounds with you! I'm trying hard (again) to change my "default" setting from chocolate to PRAYER (or even a glass of good water)!

Esther Asbury said...

I've often prayed "Lord, I want a relationship not a religion" -- a relationship that shares the good and bad times alike - one that calls Him Father and Friend.
Love the chocolate gifts -- I always include a Hershey Bar when I give little "thinking of you's" to the "little old ladies" at church --- I think it's their favorite part of the gift!

Elizabethd said...

What a lovely post! Chocolate has something so special in low times!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I did not know you were diabetic . . . is this difficult?

Fondly,
Glenda

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela, My husband is recently diagnosed diabetic also. It's a real struggle for us with the diet some days.

I enjoyed your post. We need to learn to lean on Jesus throughout the day. My husband has a tumor on his salivary gland and had a biopsy last Mon. God has been so faithful through this difficult journey.

We know we are never alone.

Wishing you and yours a blessed Easter.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Hello Pamela, I don't know if you are type 1 or 2 diabetis??
I have fought it off twice and won...Type 2 can be reversed by diet and exercise...maimly walking,as this releases the insulin from the pancreas.. We crave sweets when we don't eat enough protein..(amino acid). Dr Sandra Cabot has a book out about reversing...it is available from Amazon. There is much to be aware of in the diet...I feel so well now..
God Bless. Crystal xx

Anonymous said...

Pamela,
Thanks for the thoughtful post. Have a blessed week and Easter!

Cathy said...

Such a wonderful promise that we can cast our cares on Him. I am not supposed to have caffeine, because of a-fib. Recently I found that 1 or two chocolates don't seem to hurt though. Blessings ~

Wicked Chef # 1 - Linds said...

For most people chocolate seems to be the cure all! I hope you get a chance to try the burgers. We love them!

no spring chicken said...

This is such a wonderfully practical post. I agree with you that we do not easily ask for prayer in the way that should be natural to His children. I strive to be better about it as I strive to be better about remembering my brothers and sisters needs to Him daily. He is so worthy!

And who other than the Righteous Lover of our Souls would have thought to provide chocolate for His ladies who are learning? Truly He is a good, good God!

Blessings, Debbie

Breathing In Grace said...

I have a little sign that says the same as the one you showed about chocolate and prayer that a sweet friend gave to me!!! What a great post....what girl doesn't love chocolate?!?? HOPE you have a great week....HAPPY EASTER!!!

Anonymous said...

I was over on Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy where I saw your blog in the sidebar. Sheltering Tree. I just finished reading a book on David by Charles Swindoll that talked about the sheltering of friends. So, I had to come over and see. I'm so glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed your post and am blessed by it. I've been pondering similar thoughts - how it's important to turn to the Lord first ... so easy and yet so able to be distracted and not do it. Thanks, Jenn

Anonymous said...

Just saw you came by my faith docs blog. Appreciate your comment! Thanks! Jenn

Sandy said...

Great post! Thank you for commenting to me! Have a blessed week!

Anita Johnson said...

I totally enjoyed this and now guess, who else is craving chocolate? Have a great week!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

i love the prayer and chocolate bar. the lindt chocolate factory is right down the street from me. but i don't love chocolate as much as most other people do.

Quirky Homemaker said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It's always such a treat for me to stop by yours. Especially when I'm having a bad day! You're such an inspiration.

Karen said...

This was a great post! I loved this line..."there are days that a handful of M & Ms can do what a handful of nerve pills can't."

Unknown said...

Lovely post. Did you know that dark chocolate actually has properties in it to protect the heart? I love dark chocolate, so I researched and wrote, and of course nibbled for inspiration.

Keeping God in a "prayer closet" will never do, will it? I want to walk with Him each step of the way. God bless.

Charlotte said...

I confess. I love chocolate. I love those Lindt white chocolate truffles. Never tried the candy from Cracker Barrel although I've been to lots of Cracker Barrels. I agree though. sometimes it takes a lot more than chocolate and there is no comparison to what God can do for you. Thank you for this insightful post.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Unknown said...

Isn't interesting how we put God in these places where we designate Him to go, thus diminishing how we operate from hour to hour? If I allow my mind to comprehend how big and how in everything He is, I am less likely to turn to something else to soothe my soul.

Anonymous said...

I use everything at my disposal to take Him with me. I dwell in what is. I speak out loud to Him, because I know He listens.

I am not always blessed to go somewhere quiet, but I do know that as long as I close my eyes and direct my whole being to Him....He is there.

By the way, chocolate is really one of the my favorite food groups :-D

Mrs. M.

Farming On Faith said...

What a wonderful post~thank you for sharing!
YOu have a blessed Easter week!

Esther Joy said...

Very appropriate post with all the Easter Chocolates around!

Thank you for your comments on my rocks blog. Thank you for the reminder that the church is built on THE ROCK! Our church is still going through some deep struggles, and I needed that reminder! Have a blessed week!

Esther Joy

Amy Sullivan said...

I just dug a spoonful of peanut butter out of the jar, and then tossed a handful of chocolate chips in my mouth. chocoalte when I' stressed? Ah, yes.

Melanie N. Brasher said...

i'm eating chocolate right now...lol:)

such a beautiful post and reminder for me to turn to Him. And thanks for your kind comment on my blog.

--Mel

Melanie N. Brasher said...

p.s just saw that you're with ACFW & you're in Indiana! Do you go to the chapter meetings? Hopefully we'll bump into each other down the road.

-Mel

bettyl said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing.

Tiffini said...

chocolate yes? and carrying His presence with us throughout the day...once again drawing us to the cross.
xo

Connie said...

"I can "cast all these cares on Him, for He cares for me." What a beautiful promise. All I have to do is give the cares to God."...amen...and chocolate has just got to be one of the main food groups, I think!

Anonymous said...

"My heart is restless until I find my rest in You O Lord" I confess many times in my life that restlessness is because I go to something other than He to satisfy too. He is so gracious and loving to tenderly direct our eyes back to gaze upon Him !

Anonymous said...

So funny, but that is my go to stress reliever also. I love chocolate. Can't help it. I love Jesus too, but I too sometimes put Him in the closet. Thanks for giving me the inspiration.

Melanie said...

I love this!!!! I feel like you wrote this directly to ME tonight! Good word. Thank you!

Visiting from the "Encouragement is Contagious!" linky party on my blog! :) I would love for you to link up again next time! :)

Blessings!
Melanie