Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sheltering with Happiness


Love looks through a telescope; envy, through a microscope. 
                                                                            ~Josh Billings





Do you ever feel like we have an easier part sheltering others when someone is mourning than when when they are rejoicing?  It must not be a new occurrence or Paul wouldn't have written it to the Romans.  Rejoice with those who rejoice, mourn with those who mourn (Romans 12:15).  A more simplistic version says, Be happy with those who are happy, be sad with those who are sad.  A good friend knows how to shelter even in the happy times.

Kayla is that kind of friend to Emily.  When we moved to Muncie ten years ago, it was an answer to the prayers of Katie.  Emily is a couple years younger than Katie, and a couple years older than her sister Kayla; through the years they have  melted into a tight threesome.  With Emily finishing high school, it leaves Kayla -- solo...

It's going to be as hard for Kayla to face a few more years in school as it was for Emily when Katie graduated.  Yet not one time did Kayla act in any way but overjoyed for Emily yesterday as she took her last test and gave her final speech. 

Kayla had a card ready for Emily -- music card playing "I'm so Excited."  And she wrote the sweetest note on it.  We celebrated last night at Applebees and not one time did Kayla act anything but totally excited for Emily.  Katie and Kayla both have been special friends -- always there when Emily needs cheered, and happy when she is happy... From my perspective, that's the way to shelter. 

Well, that -- and the way Melanie celebrated with Emily -- Krispy Kreme doughnuts and four of Emily's favorite littles were involved!

I love celebrating the happy times with my friends.  My mother taught me that principle by giving me an example to follow.  Those who cannot rejoice are plagued with jealousy.  There's no way to sugar coat the sin.  And it is a sin when we resent the joy that comes to others.  Nowhere have I read that God wants us to envy those who rejoice. 

In fact, In James 3:16 it is clear what God thinks of envy.  For wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and evil of every kind.  The Bible is full of examples of jealousy:  Satan, Cain, Miriam, King Ahab, King Herod and so many more.  Here are some steps I've used when I've been tempted to envy others.



1.  Stop comparing yourself to others.

2.  Verbalize (confess) your feelings -- to God. 

3.  Write a list of the good qualities of the one you envy.

4.  Praise God for blessing others.

5.  Make a gratitude list of the ways God has blessed you.



Linked to:
You Like Me
Bee Friendly

14 comments:

Emily said...

May I just say: It is very cool when your momma can put into words exactly what is on your mind. :) xo.
~Em

Emma's Lunch said...

Thanks so much for your lovely comment on Emma's Lunch.

Its so great that the girls are so supportive of each other, Kayla seems so mature. Its great she is so happy for her friend even when it means a tough couple of years ahead for her.

Rettabug said...

What a nice observation & an inspiring post!
Very well said!

Esther Asbury said...

So very, very true!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Pamela, thank you so much for this wonderful and timely post. I enjoyed reading about the girl's friendship, but what jumped out at me most was the quote on top and the topic of envy and jealousy. It helps me see a family situation in another light ... we are not the ones who are jealous, but are on the receiving end of somebody else's feelings of envy. Food for thought today, thanks!

I appreciate you stopping by, and hope that you have a wonderful weekend. Oh, I'm glad that you enjoyed my VW bus story too.

God bless,
Kathy M.

The Dickinsons said...

Good post, Pam. Just wanted to tell you that my family and I loved your fruit salsa and tortilla cin. chip recipe. My husband was raised in AZ...little Mexico...so LOVES Mexican food. When I told him about the fruit salsa recipe he told me that it didn't sound very impressive. But...I've made it twice now and he is impressed! =) (The 1st time I only made 56 chips for the 6 of us...and the 2nd time I made 92...and every drip was eating. =) Today I posted an easy tortilla recipe on my blog. (Tortillas are expensive here in Colombia, so I found a yummy recipe that is very easy to do. It worked great with the cin. chips too. =)
Hope you are having a great day in Jesus!

RicKaren said...

Wonderful post! And, yes...timely.

ann@Apples and Twinkies said...

Very, very, interesting, Pamela. I enjoyed reading this.

Tricia said...

What a beautiful post and so true.

Have a wonderful weekend ♥ Tricia

Judy said...

Thanks for this post and the lessons it provided. I like the steps you take combat jealousy — a lesson for us all.

Blessings,
Judy

Opal Stevens said...

I'm your newest follower :D

http://opalstevens.blogspot.com

Stefanie Brown said...

Found you through A Mommy's Sweet Blog Hop. I am following you through Google Friends. Hope you'll follow back.
Have a blessed weekend.
Stefanie

Alyssa said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog!

That's so sweet and wonderful that Emily has such a great friend. Interestingly enough, my best friend of nearly a decade is named Emily :).

~Alyssa

Kara Chupp said...

So true. We're reading through James right now and my husband just said last week..."a good test for jealousy is whether or not you truly 'weep with those who weep' and 'rejoice with those who rejoice'"
Love those last 4 points at the end.
I want to be that kind of friend.