Friday, April 22, 2011

Trees in the Hospital


Nursing is an art:  and if it is to be made an art, it requires an exclusive devotion as hard a preparation, as any painter's or sculptor's work; for what is the having to do with dead canvas or dead marble, compared with having to do with the living body, the temple of God's spirit?  It is one of the Fine Arts:  I had almost said, the finest of Fine Arts.                                        ~Florence Nightingale



I'm in this sterile environment wishing I was home with my own dirt.  Even with the fun up, down, longer, shorter, bend-in-the-middle bed, I'd rather be home.  Even with the ready availability of fluids, antibiotics and pain medicines, home is still my choice.  But since I'm stuck here, let me tell you about the sheltering going on at Saint John’s. 

Clear liquids isn't my choice of meal fare.  Although if you wait enough hours to eat, beef broth is quite filling.  Unfortunately, when I'm used to RB delivering clear amber tea in the morning, the ugly cloudy tea just doesn't cut it.  Enter beautiful Janelle! (The fanged one who takes my blood)  WITH Tazo tea -- made just the way she knows I like it.  Ah...shelter.  Spending her 45-minute break by my cell, making me belly laugh in spite of the pain...  Yes, that's sheltering.

And the chaplain that stopped by my room wanting to know if I had a spiritual advisor…  I pointed to RB (which tickled me for some reason).  I'd rather RB pray with me than anyone.  His prayers go clear to the top!  It was sweet that the chaplain prayed with us though, our hands representing the triune God as he asked for wisdom for the doctors.

Joy-bringers: Melanie and Camron
Renee's Karen Kingsbury book, Unlocked, has sure kept my mind busy.  I rarely read fiction, but Kingsbury is one I really enjoy.  She writes good emotion.  Renee might not have known how important it would be to have that book to read when she loaned it to me.  It's already done its share of sheltering.

Janelle, my friend and phlebotomist
And the lotion, brought by my Melanie – great stuff (but not quite the best gift she brought -- that was Camron) -- and how can you not feel sheltered with a foot rub?  Being a momma with four children makes it hard to shelter, so the gift was shared by Shawn who for two days has freed Melanie to bring some love and shelter to me.

Facebook and e-mail and text messages.  A husband who slept in the craziest chair so I wouldn't be alone.  From nurses who answer every question and deliver meds on time to the dear elderly nurse who took my vitals and the nutritionist who brought liquids with a smile and solids right on time.  From the kind woman who cleaned my room to my doctor who is trying to make an educated "guess" to the nature of the illness, I've been sheltered. 

15 minutes and she'll be walking through that door!
This hospital stuff isn't too bad.  But waiting for another hour and a half is.  Because then my sweet Emily will return home from five days in Washington DC.  She's kept in touch, but nothing will equal that hug.  That just might be the best medicine of all.







Linked to
Welcome to the Weekend Blog Hop

13 comments:

RicKaren said...

Please get better soon!

Marsha Young said...

Wishing you home and blessed for Easter. How wonderful to be sheltered by your own loving family while you work through this illness.

God bless you - Marsha

Kim M. said...

I didn't know you were in the hospital! Get well soon! I will be praying for you!

Angela said...

So sorry you are in the hospital! Praying you get a complete healing. Amen.

Sherry Sherron said...

So sorry you are going through this. Being sick is no fun, of course, but especially so during holiday (and IHC) time. Praying for a speedy recovery and wisdom to take care of your problem quickly.

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Hope you get well soon!
Blessings,
Cindy

Rachel said...

Feel better soon!! Praying for you.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

It is so lovely of you to have eyes to see the love around you and for you. Glad you are being cared for. I am praying you are well and home soon.

Fondly,
Glenda

Mya said...

Even in the best, being in the hospital is no fun.
However, your staff seems very attentive, and what a blessing that your family can visit.
It is probably tempting to beg your family to bring you all the good things you like to eat, but it really would not be good for you and the super sleuth staff has a way of finding out these things.
Take care and God bless you.

Joan Hall said...

Praying that you are feeling better soon. I'm glad you have a caring staff at the hospital and of course, there is nothing like family by your side.

Blessings,
Joan

noreen said...

Oh Pamela, will you be spending Easter in the hospital? I'm sending up prayers for a quick recovery so you can get back home and feel well again! God has blessed you with a loving family and a caring medical staff!

primitive ole frugal mumma said...

Sending warm wishes for a fast recovery..
Blessings Heidi :-)

Esther Asbury said...

So sorry your "sick" glad that you're being sheltered on all sides!