Saturday, May 14, 2011

Commencement Address



Administrator Clemens, Principal Clemens, faculty, members of the board, fellow classmates, family, honored guests, and commencement speaker, Papaw Sankey:


I have read Charlotte’s messages alongside Wilbur and Fern, was shipwrecked with the Swiss Family Robinson. I have sought refuge in the hiding place with Corrie ten Boom, and witnessed the miracle at camp friendship with Ace and Christi. I have searched for missing gold with Silas Marner. I have asked myself “what would Jesus do” with the First Church of Raymond. 

 But I have also marched around the walls of Jericho. I have sung songs of praise in a prison cell with Paul and Silas. I have attended a wedding and watched Jesus turn water into wine, and have wept when they nailed my Jesus to a tree.

Class of 2011
Words cannot describe my deep appreciation of having the privilege to attend a school which not only taught me the differences between infinitives and gerunds, or how to combine like terms, but also educated me in the fact that God’s Word is the greatest resource that will ever pass through my hands.

Rev. Clemens, you have taught me that a day is not complete without coffee, and that a classroom is for learning, not foolishness. But I have seen Jesus in you. I have sat in this church, service after service as you have helped me to grow in my walk with the Lord.

Mr. Scott, you have trained me how to find the measure of an angle, how to solve for “x” in an equation, and that “water makes you weak.” But you have also shown me that the most important thing in life is serving God. You have taught me to pursue excellence in every situation, and to do hard things when it seems impossible. To not back down from what I know is right, and how to fight for what I know is true.

RB and his girls
Mrs. Coleman, you have taught me not only how a government runs, but also how it should run . From you, I have learned that jolly ranchers can get you just about anywhere, and that when a student is distracted by an object, sometimes you just have to steal it to keep them from sinning. But Mrs. Coleman, you have also warned me that when circumstances come in life that ask me to stray from the Biblical principles, run as far away from those circumstances as distance allows. You have taught me to never be ashamed of what I stand for, and that with God, miracles never cease.

Mrs. Clemens, you taught me long division and how to diagram a sentence. But you also illustrated in your own life that God is worthy of my praise in every situation, good or bad. You have instilled in me through God’s Word to pray for the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart to be acceptable in His sight.

The Cessna Family
Mrs. Turner, you have always helped me in wherever was needed. You have taught me to be flexible, to help in whatever situation needs attention. You have taught me the value of friendship, and of encouraging others.
  
Sra. Crabtree, eres la mujer más paciente que conozco.   And that is all I trust myself to say. I only took two years of Spanish.Publish Post

Papaw and Ganga Sankey





Mom and Dad, you have studied countless hours to help me pass my tests, provided the pencils and life-long supply of erasers, and made me coffee to ensure I would stay awake through yet another five a.m. studying session. But you have also been my spiritual leaders, my prayer warriors, my cheerleaders, my very best friends. Without your daily encouragement, prayers, and your “training me up in the way I should go," I would not be standing here today. The words escape me when I try to explain what you mean to me. I love you.

Classmates: As this chapter in our life is ending; and exciting, yet frightening circumstances await us; Let us never forget the promise in Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Our futures are safe in the One who created us. As we place our hands firmly in His, let’s hold our breath and turn the page to discover what He has written for us. He is our all in all, our Rock where we stand, our Vision, and our Plan. What a joy to surrender our lives to Him.

The Kuhn Family
Auntie's favorite little people

Best Friends
Katie flew home from NC to share in Em's special day.

        

25 comments:

Marsha Young said...

Congratulations to the entire family!!! But most especially to the fine graduate.

Rebecca said...

Yes! Congratulations to a well- trained young lady, the faculty, and her precious family. How proud you all can be! God be praised.

RicKaren said...

Congratulations! You must be proud...I enjoyed the sweet, well written address.

Anita Johnson said...

Congratulations to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Very happy for you Emily! You are well grounded and rooted in the Lord. Your endovers in the future will surely be Heavenly blest! Congratulations! Stacie Hill

The Dickinsons said...

Congratulations! Enjoyed reading your speech! Muy Bueno Espanol! =)

~Heather Dickinson~
Bogota', Colombia

Holly said...

Congratulations! What a well written speech. I truly enjoyed reading it.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Congratulations to you all!! What a wonderful celebration and milestone in life for you all!

Mindy said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful sentiment to share!

no spring chicken said...

What a proud day! She glows with the joy of her savior and she is a garland about the neck of the parents whom she openly honors. What true, true beauty. I'm sure that God has his hand on her and her future!

Blessings, Debbie

Esther Joy said...

Beautiful speech! Congratulations to you and of course, to the graduate!

Charlotte said...

Wonderful speech! She is off to a great start in a very blessed life...knowing the One who guides her path. Her strong faith is evident!

Joan Hall said...

Congratulations to the graduate and to the entire family! A true blessing.

Renee said...

What a beautiful speech! You all must be so proud. Blessings!

marlece said...

What an accomplishment, way to go!!!Big smiles, well deserved, way to GO!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! May a multitude of blessings pave the road ahead!

Patti Hanan said...

Congratulations to a beautiful graduate and her proud family. The graduation speech is inspiring.
Your faith shines through. I especially love how you say God’s Word is the greatest resource that will ever pass through my hands. With God as your guide, you have a bright future ahead of you. Blessings!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Such a happy day for your family.

Fondly,
Glenda

noreen said...

Hi Pamela, what a beautifully and thoughtful commencement speech! And the family photos are wonderful keepsake! Congratulations to the graduate!

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Congratulations and may God walk beside you in all you do. May He lead you on the path to touch many lives for Him.
Blessings from Australia Crystal Mary.
Hugs

Charlotte said...

You are so blessed to have so many Godly people in your life. What a wonderful tribute to them and to you.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Congratulations!! Graduation is so fun :D

Hopping by from Handmade Wednesday to follow your blog!!

Anonymous said...

Pam,

Your blog is so nice.

Beth

Rebecca said...

What a wonderful graduation speech! Congratulations on reaching this milestone! Praying that you will follow God as you enter a new season of life.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a beautifully written commencement address! Beautiful family! May God bless and keep you during your next chapter of life :)