Monday, May 9, 2011

Mud Between My Toes

Cheerfulness in most cheerful people, is the rich and satisfying result of strenuous discipline.                                       ~Edwin P. Whipple

Do you ever get tired of doing the same thing over and over?  I write one project, polish it and send it in.  Then I start another.  I never get tired of it.  But cooking? I get tired of a meal before I begin cooking it.  It's over so fast and then it's time to plan another one.  Like laundry -- there's always another load to be done.  

It's part of what I need to do as a (mostly) stay-at-home wife.  RB needs fresh starched and ironed shirts and good meals.  I can gripe, or I can iron and cook cheerfully -- just because I love him. 

The same is true with the things I do for God.  Sometimes the things I do for Him aren't easy.  I'd rather just sit in my chair and write.  But obeying God is my main goal so I say with Paul, "Cheerfully pleasing God is the main thing, and that's what [I] aim to do" (2 Corinthians 5:9).  

And it is the main thing.  I find when I do what He asks my heart fills with joy.  I know when RB sees his starched and ironed shirts he'll be pleased, and in the same way, my cheerful obedience pleases God.  If RB hears me grumble about ironing, it takes pleasure from him.  Grumbling about what I do for God is a sin and takes pleasure from Him. 

Photo by Emily
 We need to teach our children the joy they receive when chores are accomplished cheerfully.  A cheerful child makes parenting easy.  But, more importantly, as they grow they will also cheerfully obey God.  

One way to teach cheerfulness is to hide smiley faces in places your child will find them while doing their chores.  If they have accomplished the chore cheerfully allow him/her to trade the smiley face for a small treat.  

Mud Pie Annie is a spunky little girl with an exceptional talent for cooking with flair. She can make anything from "marvelous eclairs" to "parfait extraordinaire," but not just any ingredient will do. Annie creates her concoctions with mud and dirt—well mixed with pride and care.  She makes them cheerfully, too.  Dear Annie knows the secret.  God doesn't see the mud between her toes -- He sees her cheerful heart.


* * * * *




I love Mud Pie Annie and your children will, too.  Mix up some mud pies (no-bake cookies) or use one of the recipes in the front of the book.  You've probably made them before, but here's a quick recipe:
Bring 2 cups sugar, 2/3 cup milk, 1 stick butter, 1/2 cup cocoa to a boil.  Boil 2 minutes and add 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 cup peanut butter and 3 cups quick oats.  Drop by spoonful onto waxed paper. 


Another idea is Chocolate Play Dough:


Mud Pie Annie: $3.99
No-Cook Chocolate Play Dough
1 cup of salt
2 cups of plain flour
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp cream of tartar

1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup cocoa powder

This was a fun and easy project to put together.  I had a plastic bowl I found at Target 80% off after Valentine's Day.  I made extra large no-bake "mud pies" to fill the bowl.  Tied the book and cookie bowl up in cellophane and tied a big white spoon in the bow.  After all, every "Annie" needs a bowl and spoon to mix up some mud pies.




30 comments:

Denise said...

Pamela,Oh I love your post.The devotion was perfect.I now need to go buy that book for my 5 year old Graddaughter.Is it only sold at Christian bookstores? I'll look it up at Borders.Please drop by and visit me anytime.

Michelle said...

Pamela - Thank you for reminding us to take joy in what seems so mundane. Sometimes after picking up toys all day, doing laundry and keeping the house clean, I find little joy around me. But it is a simple as choosing joy. I love your idea about the happy faces. My daughter is already starting to roll her eyes when asked to do a job. Maybe the happy faces will lift her up.

Anonymous said...

What a great post Pamela! Wishing you a great day.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

How amazing is Mud Pie Annie, I believe my granddaughter would love making that. Have a great day after mothers day.

Rebecca said...

Great reminder for me today, Pamela! (I'm not naturally a cheerful person....I need SUPERnatural help in this department!)

One Mom's Opinion said...

I guess I better put a smile on my face and go face that mountain of laundry! ;)

Kim M. said...

Thank you for encouraging me to be cheerful in everything.

Unknown said...

This is a fabulous idea! My husband and I have been thinking about the kids and chores, but I think we've put it off because we don't want to hear the grumbling. But the smiley faces will make it fun and will reinforce the point of being a cheerful giver.

BTW, I hate to cook, too!

Jodene Shaw said...

Pamela, This is adorable! I can't wait to do this idea with my little mud-pie "Erin" that I blogged about making her mud pies. I love this quote by Mud Pie Annie . . . I think I'm going to post it as my status on Facebook for today! You don't know how much this post just blessed me! I am printing it to use this week and sharing with some of my friends. I have a little "prayer daughter" at church that graduates from kindergarten next week and this just might be her present from me!
Love & grace,
jodi

Jodene Shaw said...

P.S. I love the smiley face idea for my big kids too!

Marsha Young said...

Yep - just as God loves a cheerful giver, I think He also appreciates a "cheerful do-er". :)

Easier said than done, though. Have a cheerful day - Marsha

Amy Sullivan said...

Chores. . .grrr. What a battle. Thanks for the fun ideas, Pamela.

noreen said...

Hi Pamela, what a cute mud pie post! I agree with your post about being cheerful when we do our chores for it is pleasing to God!

no spring chicken said...

Once again I am moved by your words. It is so true that our attitude is everything, when doing the hard things especially. But oh the joy and reward of pleasing and making life more pleasant for the ones we love, especially our Father. How He must shine His approval every time you sit down to put 'pen to paper'.

Blessings, Debbie

Making Memories 1999 said...

Thank you so much for this post. Just yesterday morning, I was talking with my best friend about finding joy in everyday work. I appreciate your encouraging blog! Thank you and God bless!

Sharon said...

I would love to have a blog and did at one time but it took up so much of my time as to come up with a provocative subject is not always easy for me. I love to write but I guess my writing is more story writing or poems.
Anyway, I love your posts and blog. How nice you can do this.

Melanie N. Brasher said...

such fun ideas, Pamela! and such a good reminder for me to find joy in all the work the Lord entrusts me with!

Blue Eyed Blessings said...

thanks for sharing that ... this would make a great gift!!

Stopping by to follow your blog from Handmade Wednesday!!!

Esther Asbury said...

How very, very true. A few years ago I took to heart the verse that says "WHATEVER you do in word or deed do ALL to the glory of God." (Col 3.17) Suddenly my mundane, behind the scenes, sometimes unnoticed chores took no new meaning as I realized HE cares about even the little things being done right.
BTW - as always.....cute, cute gift!

Lolly Jane said...

this is so sweet! glad you stopped by so we could "meet" you! have a great Wednesday! (: kelli & kristi
ps: now following!

Mom Daughter Style said...

very nice blog, thanks for following my blog, im following you back.

http://momdaughterreviews.blogspot.com/

Eileen said...

Teaching our children to obey cheerfully...that's good advice. Thanks for coming over to The Scenic Route. It's nice to meet you!

Farming On Faith said...

Oh what great ideas.
Hope you have a wonderful day!

Lisa notes... said...

These are such encouraging words for those of us who do the same things over and over. Wash dishes, sweep the floor, do laundry, ... when I'd rather be writing too. BUT I want to be faithful in the little things, so I better sign off and get to those things! :-) All for God's glory. Thanks for blessing me.

Heart n Soul said...

beautiful wisdom.....thanks for sharing your pearls :)

Mel Creates Often said...

Ha! Thanks for posting! I can really use something like this, because my 4 yr old still loves eating play dough. I'm your newest follower on Google!

betty-NZ said...

Thanks for sharing the 'mud between my toes' saying. I love it!

BPOTW said...

Great ideas for the little ones!

Jackie said...

Such honorable thoughts! I, too, would rather sit in my chair and type. And when that is what God calls me to do--it is grand. But, there are other times (like right now) when the Spirit is prompting me to take these hands and go clean up the dishes from dinner. I guess I better obey. :)

Kim Turnage said...

I've never thought about how my grumbling can rob someone else of pleasure. Thanks for this, Pamela!