Saturday, June 11, 2011

Sheltering Words



Remember, every time you open your mouth, your mind walks out and parades up and down the words.  ~Edwin Stuart






Recently one of my friends and her family had the occasion to hear (endure) an amateur singing group.  After a particularly way-off-pitch song, her son turned to her and said, "That makes my ears bleed."  I laughed... then my next thought was, My ears bleed when I hear unkind, unjust and unnecessary words being spoken.   


When I read that we have 800,000 words in the English language I wondered how many of them I actually use.  They claim 300,000 are technical and scientific words only a small percentage of people use.  Still, 500,000 is a lot of words. 


What breaks my heart is that by stringing fewer than ten of those words together we can wound, discourage or criticize others.  Someone once said, "The kindest word in all the world is the unkind word, unsaid."


I don't think everyone who wounds with their words are intentionally hurtful.  James reminds us, "It only takes a spark, remember, to set off a forest fire. A careless or wrongly placed word out of your mouth can do that."  Have you ever heard, "I just say what I think... and you'll have to deal with it"?  I think God desires for us to watch our words. Ask yourself, Would these words hurt me if I were on the receiving end


In the gentlest way possible, I submit a question (The only way I feel I have a right to ask it of you is because I have asked it of myself in the past).  Are the words coming from your lips an indication of what is in your heart?  


Winston Churchill reminds us, "By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach."  It may be hard for you -- perhaps you'll need to break the habit of verbalizing every thought that pops into your mind, thus taking time to pause before opening mouth .  But this one thing I know, God has grace.  There is grace when you've been hurt and you'd like to hurt back.  There's grace -- abundant grace -- to keep the words kind, encouraging, genuine and generous -- or at times: silent!


Orbit's slogan seemed to fit the topic.
We know for sure is that there is joy in store for those who speak kind words. "Well spoken words bring satisfaction" (Proverbs 12:14).  I want to bless, encourage, to shelter with my words.  And I believe in you, dear readers; I believe your desire is the same.


In the last 24 hours, I have been blessed by a comment on my blog, a Facebook message, a phone text message and face-to-face comment from a special new friend.  These positive, encouraging words made me feel applauded.  They left joyprints all over my heart.  


We have a choice.  We can speak words of compassion, kindness, empathy and love.  We can applaud, rejoice and bless.  Our words can be life-giving.  Let's leave some joyprints this week -- whether spoken, written, or typed. Let's hang a prism of our words so those we bless will see "bits of dancing red and green, violet and orange, gold and blue...(everything) aflame with shimmering bits of color" (Pollyanna).








This post is linked to:





17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela, A very important and thought-provoking post tonight. We should all encourage and support one another with our words. Wishing you a blessed Sunday.

Vilisi said...

"Joyprints" - what a beautiful word!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela. This is a lovely and encouraging posting. I love the Winston Churchill comment. Profound really.
God bless
Tracy

Esther Asbury said...

One of my favorite verses is from Job 4:4 "Thy words have upholden him that was falling, and thou hast strengthened the feeble knees."
That's what I want my words to do -- not wound and tear down.
Yet another thought provoking, heart searching post --- thanks, Pam.

Mary said...

What a good reminder.

Gayle said...

A very true statement. I have been convicted lately that I need to listen more, talk less.

Shannan Martin said...

Joyprints! Love that.

Loren said...

Amen! There truly is life and death in the tongue! We must Speak life-giving words NOT words that tear down. Truly, someones day can literally change when given words ....it just depends on which type of words they receive....

Great post Pamela! Bless you friend!

PC said...

What a beautiful and inspiring post..Love, PC

Becky Jane said...

I think for the most part, my words are what HE would have me say...it's those once in awhile 'escapes' that I have to keep a careful watch over!
New Follower!
Thanks, Becky Jane
http://RiseAboveYourLimits.blogspot.com/

Rebecca said...

So true! So good! So timely! Thank you for posting this great reminder!

Sherry Sherron said...

Thank you so much for this timely post. I have just experienced how someones words can hurt a sister unjustly. No apology can ever take back that hurt. I was just thinking today that seeing this makes me want to be even more carefull what words come out of my mouth. Thanks for letting God use you to deliver a much needed message.

calej said...

Words are indeed so powerful. They can tear down or build up. Your blog is a breath of fresh air. The sheltering tree was God's vision for me in 2010 and this year it is "Rootedness and Fruitfulness". Thank you for the way you help bring God's Word to the world! :)

Christina aka calej

Karina Pacheco said...

Came by to return the love and follow back :)

Happy to be your newest follower!!

Cathy said...

Thanks for that loving, thought provoking post, Dear. It is a great reminder for me to think about my words. Bless you ~

Charlotte said...

This brings to mind the saying "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." I think that is good advice. Words can build up or they can destroy. We need to use them carefully. Thank you for this thoughtful post.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Shelly said...

Pam:

I came across your blog and what a blessing it is. Just this week I came across a scripture for this very subject. "PLEASANT WORDS are as a honeycomb, sweet to the mind and healing to the body." Proverbs 16:24.