Friday, June 10, 2011

More Shelter Sightings



How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these. ~George Washington Carver



In my wandering through the blogs of friends, both old and new, I find people all over the world who shelter.  They may not call it sheltering -- but I do.  Life can be hard.  The aging wonder if their social security checks will cover all their expenses , and parents try to keep all their obligations to their jobs while trying to raise kids with character.  Children worry about things we didn't even dream of  at their age -- gunmen shooting at random, bullying and the pressure to conform.  Teens feel like nobody cares and most of us can't see past the piercings and black trench coats. 

I've been asking the Lord lately to help me see each person as an individual.  Not an economic class, a race, behavior or physical appearance, but someone loved by God with hurts buried in their heart and a mask on their countenance. If I can bring beauty or joy to their lives for a few minutes, I would be thrilled.  

These are people who touch lives...

Monica from the The Homespun Heart is a beautiful, creative mother of three.  A very busy mother who homeschools, plans the sweetest parties and picnics, entertains creatively and decorates her home with joy.  

In the years I have read Monica's blog I have been challenged by the sweetness of her giving to others. Whether it's her time, her finances or the delightful hand crafted gifts, she gives out of the fullness of her heart.  

The post, "Waiting Gracefully," shows the gift of friendship, prayers and time.  The greatest gifts don't always cost money -- they are a giving of oneself.

* * * * *

Wendy from My Heart is Always Home is a stay-at-home mom to Megan.  Megan joined their family at nine months when they adopted her from China.  She's a cheerful, list-maker organized, garden grower Christian who cares deeply about the tragedies not only at home but in other countries, including earthquake victims in Haiti.  

Wendy shares her gardening abundance with elderly neighbors, drops off extra supplies at their favorite charity, and shares extra coupons with others.  In this post on hospitality, Wendy shares how to offer hospitality away from home. 

* * * * *

My last Shelterer is Amber from Making a Home.  She is a home-school mom to her three children.  In her words, she feels "incredibly blessed" to to be called to be a stay-at-home mom.  Amber journals her prayers and desires her blog to glorify God.

In sheltering, I believe it must begin at home.  God gave us our families and intends us to bless them with love, devotion and gentleness.  Amber wrote this great post on 50 Practical Ways to Affirm our Husbands and Make Them Feel Love and Respected.  

Winston Churchill said, "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."  I hope this post will help you to understand that giving does not need to be expensive.  Each of these young mothers are busy.  Yet each of them takes time to share of themselves, and from the abundance God has given them.  

Giving by Shirley Hughes
I know a Shirley Hughes who not only
gives extravagantly, but taught her
daughter to shelter, too.
Giving does not have to cost a cent.  You can give hugs, attention, smiles.   I promise that if you give to others you will find a contentment deep in your heart.  A generous man will himself be blessed (Proverbs 22:9).

Mother's Teresa  gave love extravagantly.  She said, "If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one."  I challenge you to find just one person to shelter this week.  Make it a gift with little or no expense.  Use Monica, Wendy or Amber's ideas or come up with one of your own.  Give consciously by asking the Holy Spirit for guidance.

Someone is hurting, overwhelmed or experiencing health issues. Shelter. Shelter the unemployed, your depressed friend and the tech who takes your blood at the lab. Shelter your husband, those kids who call you mother and your great aunt who lives alone. Reach out those leafy arms, bend your branches protectively, and give joy as the wind rustles your leaves.  

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Amrita

Thank you for the inspiration. I specially like the quote

Amber said...

Wow Pamela! I feel so honored to have been featured here on your lovely blog. To God be the glory!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the wonderful things you said about me! I am really humbled. It makes my heart sing to share my blessings with others. I give thanks to God for the great life I live! ~ Wendi

http://myheartisalwayshome.blogspot.com

Esther Asbury said...

I love your posts and ideas for sheltering for the very reason you mentioned -- they cost little or nothing! I've been trying to care more about people and lend them a listening ear and a caring heart which doesn't cost me anything but a little time. I'm amazed at the difference it seems to make in their day - just to know someone cares. These simple gifts have often been the ones I get the most "thank you's" for.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping in. Following back!

no spring chicken said...

This is a beautiful word. Now I'm going to check out these beautiful people...

You know that if others had written this post you would have been honored. Your gentle yet truthful words edify me every time I visit. Thank you.

Blessings, Debbie

Joan Hall said...

Love this post, Pamela. It's so true that giving doesn't have to be costly. Sometimes someone just needs a hug or a friend.

Blessings,
Joan

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Thanks for the introduction to such sweet women.

Fondly,
Glenda

Susan said...

Hi Pamela,

Thank you so much for stopping by my little blog today.

I had a peek around yours - so inspiring!
Your writing is lovely.

xo
babymama
avagracescloset

Georgia said...

such a nice post!!!!!!!

My Little Blogspot said...

Thank you for stopping by My Little Blogspot. Cherry sweet rolls sound delicious! Following you back. Have a blessed day!

http://lnowak.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

So, so important (and yet such an easy thing to forget to do) to see people as individuals and through the eyes of Jesus!

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

This is a nice post to do about others. It shows your kind heart too....

TanyasTreasureTrove said...

Hi! I'm following you from YLM
blog hop!I hope you visit me and
return the follow:0)

Holly said...

You post reminds me of a book I read many years ago, "In the Shelter of Each Other". I love the idea presented in that book, and here in your post.

Thanks for linking up with "Pay It Forward". I'm off to see your highlighted bloggers.

daltongirl said...

This is a beautiful post. I linked to it from Pay it Forward and I'm so glad I did. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.