Monday, June 6, 2011

SONburn Sheltering



For one man who can introduce another to Jesus Christ by the way he lives and by the atmosphere of his life, there are a thousand who can only talk jargon about him. ~Oswald Chambers 



Have you ever had a bad sunburn?  When RB was in grad school at Pensacola, Florida, they told the students that the white sands could produce extreme sunburns.  Along with the caution they also made it clear that if someone didn't take proper precautions and got burnt they shouldn't expect the health team there to assist in any way.

Well, on one of our trips to a secluded gulf beach RB did get burnt.  Yes, he used sunscreen.  No, the health team didn't help, even though he had symptoms of sun poisoning.

This past weekend my daughter and her family were visiting family in Chicago.  The kids had a fun day in the pool.  Landon stayed in the longest and, even though multiple layers of sunscreen were applied, ended up with burnt shoulders and arms.  When he was here on Tuesday I kept putting lotion on it for him.

Lathering on the lotion I thought about the Son of God and how when we spend time with Jesus we can get "burnt" by Him.  Being burnt by the sun is something to avoid.  However, burn by the Son is to be desired.

Since I get headaches from outdoor heat, I try to avoid the sun.  In the quiet of my home, I love spending time with Jesus.  It is then I worship with praise, with pouring out my heart cares and by claiming the promises of God.  I hope that when I've spent time with Jesus others will see the SONburn from being with Him.

We all need the Vitamin D the sun gives us.  Vitamin D helps us absorb calcium resulting in healthy bones.  The Son gives us Vitamin W(ord) that helps us absorb the truth of God's love resulting in a healthy heart.

Just as someone who puts on sunscreen, sunglasses and sun hat, we must put on the armor of God (Ephesians 13-17).  It's our protection against Satan.


Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.  In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil.  Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.


Sun rays cause skin aging, wrinkling and contribute to cancer. They cause sun burns, cataracts and affect the immune system.  Rays from the Son cause the eyes to shine brighter, the smile to be wider and contribute to joy of heart.  The Son rays grow faith, peace and love.


One of the cautions used to avoid sunburn is to stay out of the sun during peak hours (10:00-3:00).  Those midday hours when the sun is hottest cause the most painful burns.  In anticipating a Son-burn, time is of no essence.  God is ready for us to meet with Him at any hour of the day. 


It's recommended that those who love the sunkissed skin try a fake tan. Others may not know if you have a sprayed on tan, but they will know if you are a fake Christian. God's Word tells us, "It's who you are, not what you say and do, that counts. Your true being brims over into true words and deeds" (Luke 6:45).

If your sunburn is serious, you should see a doctor.  But your Son-burn is caused by the Great Physician and the burn will give you more of a desire to see Him on a regular basis.  

The Great Physician now is near,
The sympathizing Jesus;
He speaks the drooping heart to cheer,
Oh, hear the voice of Jesus!

His name dispels my guilt and fear,
No other name but Jesus;
Oh, how my soul delights to hear
The precious name of Jesus!

Chorus
Sweetest note in seraph song;
Sweetest name on mortal tongue;
Sweetest carol ever sung:
Jesus, blessed Jesus!

Oh how I want to be Son-burnt.  I want others to see and desire the Son of God.  But it's up to me -- up to how compelled I am to spend time in the Son.  I want my heart attitude to be one that loves Jesus; one that draws others to the Son. It is then that I perform my greatest sheltering.

* * * * *

Dollar Store Fun in the Sun 




It's so easy to make up a quick "Fun in the Sun" gift for a child.  Dollar Tree makes it easy.  Grab a basket, add a few fun outdoor toys and a box of freezer pops and you have made a child very happy.  

I'm sure you've noticed that my basket has three of everything...wonder who I made it for?  $12.00 buys everything you see.  But only $6.00 if you make it for one child.  

I looked for a balloon with a sun on it, but Dollar Tree didn't have one.  I'm sure you could find one somewhere, and wouldn't it look great to have it tied to the handles?

1.  Silly String
2.  Large magnifying glass with tweezers.  
     Bugs can be kept in the large hollow handle.
3.  Bubble Wands
4.  Sidewalk Chalk
5.  Freezer Pops


And just because I can't help myself...

Sun Bread
This post linked to:
Soli Deo Gloria

20 comments:

Quirky Homemaker said...

I love this: "Rays from the Son cause the eyes to shine brighter, the smile to be wider and contribute to joy of heart." Thanks for this post. Your summer fun bucket is really cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela. This is a wonderful analogy. I want to be more SON-burnt. And I agree with the fake tan/ fake Christian thing too.
God bless
Tracy

Janine Claire Robinson said...

Do you know how precious you are???!!! I can't tell you how much I LOVE reading your posts. I just LOVE the perspectives God gives you. I can feel the warmth of His presence just by reading this post today. Thank you for your sensitive heart to listen to His voice. BIG hugs to you. Janine

Anonymous said...

Fake tanning - fake faith! So much of that around us...how do we differentiate the Truth...by being more Sunburned!

Unknown said...

I have to say that the part that hit me in the gut was the fake tan vs. fake faith. I think one of the hardest things for people to do is to be completely real in their walk of faith because it requires vulnerability.

janene said...

Desiring to be "Son-kissed!" Love you . . .and
love your blog!
Janene

Mevely317 said...

Having had sun poisoning years ago, I can sure understand your concern!
Twice, I've read this wonderful analogy ... absolutely, I love it!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I have had some bad sun burns a few times. Creative post here, Pamela.

Fondly,
Glenda

Melanie N. Brasher said...

What a great analogy, Pamela. Your posts are always filled with beautiful nuggets of truth. I desire to have that SONburn.

-Mel

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for Grandparents and Caregivers said...

What a great analogy! And I highly recommend Aloe Vera - either the plant itself, or one of the great gels made from it - to ease the pain and speed the healing process.

Loved the Dollar Store goodies. My grandkids and I LOVE the Dollar stores too. :) Have a blessed day!

Breathing In Grace said...

Beautiful post, Ms. Pamela!!!

Esther Asbury said...

Once again a beautiful posts with a wonderful gift idea at the end! Love reading your blog -- it's in my top 3 favorites to read!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Great post! I get those heat headaches too. They're rough, but I go outside anyhow. Love the dollar store goodies - my boys would enjoy those!

Making Memories 1999 said...

I LOVE your beginning quote from Oswald Chambers! So good! And I love what you can do with gifts from the $ store. Thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog. Blessings!

Jenny Roan Forgey said...

Pamela, first of all, thank you so much for your comment this morning on my SDG post. It brought tears to my eyes. Secondly, my mom just gave my kids two dollar store baskets for fun at the beach! I loved that part of your post!!! Last but not least, I really like how you bring together time with Jesus as a way to help us understand the Word. ("The Son gives us Vitamin W(ord) that helps us absorb the truth of God's love resulting in a healthy heart.") I will think on that when I feel stuck on a verse. I will choose to set aside the Bible for a moment and simply worship Him and see what happens next! Thanks again!

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Great metaphor for a a relationship with Christ. And, I must say, I love your summer-fun gift idea.

God bless you as you get SON-burned this year. :)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts today. It was an insightful post; and I liked the metaphor. The poem was awesome. Of course your pictures were priceless.
I will look forward to reading more of your posts.
Blessings to you!
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Living Waters by LeAnn @ http://lgwilliams.blogspot.com
Google is having comment problems; so I am signed in on anonymous.

Nancy said...

I am so glad I found your blog....It is so full of nuggets of truth and I love your analogies......I am your newest member and I will be back soon......

Thanks for taking the time to bless us with your words.

Heart n Soul said...

Love your thought of being son burnt :)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Pamela! I love how you tied in being sunburned vs being son-burnt and the great idea for a gift basket.

Kathy M.