Saturday, July 23, 2011

Healthy Sheltering

The longer you read the Bible, the more you will like it; it will grow sweeter and sweeter; and the more you get into the spirit of it, the more you will get into the spirit of Christ. ~Romaine


I was at Shawn's office this week when Melanie called to invite me to lunch.  I never miss a chance to see my "four favorites."  The kids were excited, "Mawmaw, we're having smoothies." "Drink it Mawmaw, and I'll show you the magic ingredient."  Ice cold blueberry and banana smoothies -- what a treat.

I certainly couldn't figure out the magic ingredient.  Yogurt? Melanie knows I'm not too fond of it.  No, that wasn't it.  Ice cream?  I am fond of that!  No, that wasn't it either.

Finally, after they were sure I thought it was yummy, Ethan held up a plastic bag.  Spinach? There wasn't any green in my smoothie, but spinach it was.  And what made me laugh was that Melanie's children thought it was great -- knowing spinach was in it!

Spinach is high in vitamins, a great source of daily fiber and an antioxidant.  It is heart-healthy, gastrointestinal-healthy and has anti-inflammatory properties.  Spinach keeps your brain young, protects against eye diseases and is an excellent source of iron.  I guess that all means spinach is good for us. Blueberries and bananas have their own healthy facts, and we'd rather settle for their sweet goodness in the fruit category and skip the spinach.

Just like in our spiritual nutrition, we'd rather eat the sweet goodness of a devotional or Christian living book.  Max Lucado has a new encouraging book out -- "Max on Life," Beth Moore's "So Long, Insecurity" speaks directly to me, and Ravi Zacharias always makes me think. I recognize the helpful contributions on each inspiring page!  But no matter how encouraging, convicting, challenging these books are, we must not forget the spinach of God's Word. Patrick Henry said, "The Bible is worth all other books which have ever been printed."


Read the encouraging words of the Psalms:

I lift you high in praise, my God, O my King! God is magnificent; he can never be praised enough.
There are no boundaries to his greatness...I could write a book full of the details of your greatness...God is all mercy and grace—not quick to anger, is rich in love. God is good to one and all; everything he does is suffused with grace...
God always does what he says, and is gracious in everything he does...God gives a hand to those down on their luck, gives a fresh start to those ready to quit...God's there, listening for all who pray, for all who pray and mean it...My mouth is filled with God's praise. Let everything living bless him, bless his holy name from now to eternity. 


Allow Scriptures about the lack of faith and ingratitude to convict:

"Do all things without grumbling and complaining" and "Oh you of little faith, why do you doubt?"

Be challenged to be content, be a blessing to others, and develop a vibrant prayer life:

"But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content," "As we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith" and “Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known unto God.”


And then when your spinach has helped you "grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ,"  open the books of others.  Read widely and study the disciplines; they will add brilliance to the application of the Scriptures in your daily life.


* * * * *

 Healthy Smoothies


Melanie's blueberry smoothie is pictured.  Today she made peach smoothies for the kids.  Peaches, bananas and carrots.  I'd like to take the credit for this healthy child of mine.  However, I think the credit goes to Grandma Kuhn.  She would have loved to see how committed Melanie is to feeding her children fun, but healthy, foods.  

I do think I deserve a teeny tiny bit bit of the credit when I remember the gallons of carrot juice I made for RB's mother -- and then drank it to make her happy.

When there's leftover smoothie, Melanie fills up the Popsicle molds.  Smoothie Popsicles!  How cool is that?




This post linked to:

21 comments:

Rebecca said...

The only book that we need to grow in Christ in the Bible. I like devotionals and Bible study books, but unless I feeding in the Word, I'm not getting everything I need.

Spinach in a smoothie? Hmm...might try that on one of my more daring days. :)

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Would that more people would eat healthy foods. I love spinache and cook it with lentals, potatos, carrots, garlic onions and tomatos in a soup, then add a little rice and olive oil..so yummy. The only people who can't eat it are the ones who clot and who take blood thinners. Tonight I am going to cook it again. I love it. I go into hospital for surgery tomorrow. God bless and keep you. xx

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

It must be the heat wave we are experiencing . . . when I glanced up at your post title, I thought it was "Heathy Sweltering." I needed that post. :-)

Fondly,
Glenda

Anonymous said...

Wow. I need to try that smoothie!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I visited your page! We struggle constantly with getting our little guy to eat anything healthy. I will be trying the smoothies. He can do a hunger strike like nobody's business. And I'll make sure that I'm not doing a hunger strike of the Word. ; )

Anita

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela - this is so true and thank you for the reminder that the Bible, God's word is where its at, the other stuff, as good as it can be, is just additional and not essential.
God bless
Tracy

Style, Decor & More said...

Hi Pamela!
Lovely post! Perfect for Sunday morning.
Love the smoothie recipes too!
Have a great Sunday!
nancy

Kelee Katillac said...

I like that spinach analogy!

Thank-you for this inspirational post!

Also, I am grateful you stopped by and for the encouragement!

love, kelee katillac

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Spinach smoothie? Not something that would have come immediately to mind!

Ann Jones said...

Your smoothie recipe looks delicious, I bet my 5 year old would love this! Thanks for the idea!

Ruth said...

Smoothies are great. My daughter , too, sneaks vegetables into 'normal' recipes, trying to keep her family healthier.
I'm so glad for the spinach of
God's Word. It's most powerful when eaten straight up, but also life-giving when present in the words his Spirit inspires his people to share.
Thank you for the encouragement to be in his Word.
Blessings,
Ruth

Cathy said...

I know you are proud of them. Yes, we need to feed on His Word. Blessings ~

Saleslady371 said...

I'm a spinach lover and Bible reader wanting to grow strong in His power. You always bless us with not only truth and inspiration, but fun ideas too.

Love,
Mary

Shanda said...

I'll take God's Word over Spinach any day!

Susan said...

I love my books to read and I have grown much in my spiritual walk by being blessed with the knowledge shared with me by various authors but THE WORD my precious BIBLE is my first and most important reading each and every day. Great post here about liking it to spinach!!! I'm a lover of spinach & The Bible. It's a good thing when we like and enjoy whats good for us :o)

Anonymous said...

I haven't been by in a while. What a great post to stop by on! I never expected you to loop the beverage into things about God's Word. The beverage sounds great, except knowing the magic ingredient is a little eyebrow squenching ... but the words you shared are just wonderfully true and encouraging. Thanks! Jenn

Charlotte said...

Very interesting and informative post. I'm still trying to understand the spinach part, LOL
The Bible is definitely the place to go for answers to all our questions. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Charlotte

David Lord said...

When I first met my Pastor, I was certain Charles Dickens was the world's greatest author. But after seeing my pastor's passion for the Word, I now know that the Holy Spirit is the greatest author that has ever been, or ever will be.

Wonderful thoughts!

(Dickens is still pretty good, though)

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Nothing satisfies the soul like the word of God!
Great smoothies ideas !
Love & Blessings

Rina Peru said...

Hi Pamela! You've been a regular visitor to my blog and I'm so grateful for that.
Ever since I became a born-again Christian, I made the Holy Bible the center of my reading and meditating life.
Looking at your header photo brings a smile to my lips - three generations of people who share very similar features ~ all lovely.
Rina

Janis Van Keuren said...

Loved the analogy, Pamela. Your stories always bless and entertain! The Spinach of God's Word will make me strong. I like that. Good to mix in some Beth Moore blueberry flavoring, too:)
What a fun post.
Blessings,
Janis