Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Shelter through Growth Encouragement

Every blade of grass has an angel bending over it saying, "Grow, Grow." ~Talmud

I love the mental picture of an angel, pristine robe gathered up to keep it from dragging in the dirt, feathery wings waving gently in the breeze and iridescent halo catching the sun rays to create a rainbow.  The vivid green of the grass contrasting with the eye-blinding whiteness of the angel.  Only the grass can see this angel.  Humanity sees only the grass stretching upward as it hears, "Grow, grass, grow."

In our own lives, we have angels urging us to grow.  Many times God sends these angels in the form of friends, pastors and yes, even school principals.

I attended first through twelfth grades in a private Christian school. Sending my sister, brother and me to a Christian school  was a conviction, not a convenience, for my parents. My mother said she would take us piggy back if she had to in order for us to have a Christian education.  I am thankful for the Christian world view I was taught but didn't appreciate until later in life.  I am also thankful we were able to bless our children with the same education.  And what joy I feel seeing my daughter continuing the tradition with her children, into a third generation of Christian education.

I can't remember exactly when Mr. Larry Muir came to be our principal.  I was probably still in grade school.  He was young -- fresh out of grad school, and I don't remember much of those first few years. But as I moved into junior high, he became an integral part of school life.

This man was crazy over math.  He would get so excited over right angles, postulates and theorems that he would rock back and forth on his feet.  Science, too, would thrill him.  He was the only person I remember commenting on my writing in my teen years.  We had written a paper about an imaginary trip to the moon.  I missed earning a 100% because I forgot to mention the rings around Saturn.  On my paper he wrote, "very creative."  (Of course I had Mr. Muir on the moon to greet us, so I guess it was creative.)  I kept that paper until our fire -- it was that important to me.  I certainly didn't keep any others.

One formidable memory comes to mind when I think about the day Mr. Muir called RB and me into his office.  Someone had told him we kissed on a school function.    I was quite confident in denying the charge since RB had yet to kiss me.  I was just 15 and we had been "going together" for only a few months.  There were a few unintentional minor modesty issues, too -- of course I thought he was constantly bugging me about it.  However, in retrospect they probably didn't happen as often as my 15-year-old mind calculated.  And my mother judiciously reminded me if I would sit like a lady then it wouldn't be an issue at all!

The one thing that always puzzled me about Mr. Muir was his concern over my soul.  It didn't make sense to me; I thought he was too intentional about it.  Now that I've had a few students of my own, I understand the burden you carry for them. But as a young person I thought he should just worry about my academic work.

One day, while leaving our weekly chapel service, Mr. Muir spoke to me about where I was spiritually.  I remember thinking, "What do you care?"  But he did, and not only his care speak to my heart, but the life he lived impacted me, too.  I can still hear his, "I'm so glad I'm a Christian" when he gave his testimony. He urged me to meet God daily in my quiet time, to use my talents, to obey and love God.  He spoke of God as if He was best friends with him.

It's as though Mr. Muir stood over me whispering, "Grow, Pam, grow." He was dressed as humanity, yet exhibited the character and qualities that made him so much more.   Mr. Muir is still the principal of Indiana Wesleyan School in the small town of Dixonville, Pennsylvania.  He's still touching lives, still caring, and still whispering to students, "Grow, young person, grow."
This post is linked to:



24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pam - this is a lovely story. I thank God for the Mr. Muirs in the world.

I went to public school, but in my second grade year, I had a teacher named Mrs. Harvin. Each week, she had us memorize a verse of scripture and we would recite it before the class. This, even though around that time, they began to take religion out of the classroom.

She passed away several years after that, but I have never forgotten her and the example she gave to the class.

Blessings,
Joan

Anonymous said...

You just summed up what education is all about - making an impact on young lives for a lifetime! May we do so responsibly before God!
Joy!
Miss Kathy

Anonymous said...

I had a Mr. Muir, too. At the time I thought he was a little nosy. But I had opportunity to thank him just a little over a week ago. I look back and realize he was Heaven-sent...

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Pam, I so enjoyed reading your story - I didn't know Mr. Muir all that well, but this story gives me a whole new respect and admiration for him.
I too had a school principal like this -- Miss Taylor. (Her "specialty" was English though.)
I remember countless times she told us kids in morning devotions how she'd told God that it would be better for her to be in an accident and killed coming to school that morning than to hinder any of kids in our walk with God that day. She lived her faith and cared about us each one -- something I didn't appreciate till years later.
What a blessing she was to me!
Shore Girl

Trish said...

Hello Pam, I so enjoyed reading your lovely tribute to mr Muir.
God uses many folks in an 'angelic' way throughout our lives.
I'm very grateful for the holy nuns and teachers He used in my christian formaton years too!
Now it's our turn to be godly role-models for our young people so they'll see and love Christ in us :-)
Thank you for linking to LACE today.
blessings..Trish

Jennifer said...

So cool..3 generations of Christian education!! Love it!
Thanks for following me! I'm your newest! You and your lovelies have a beautiful blog! I look forward to reading more!

Sonya said...

Thanks, Pam, for such a lovely post. Just a 'little' proud to call him MY dad!!

Sista In Arms Lxx said...

Teachers can make or break children sometimes. It's so wonderful to hear a beautiful story like this, thank you for sharing.
Would love to see you on my fb page SistasInArms. God Bless Lxx

Melodie said...

Never dreamed all those years ago that Mr. Muir would be one of our very best friends in adulthood! His kindness and sunny ways were a terrific example to all of us!! Great memories! Great article!

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Wonderful people like Mr Muir make the world a better place and touch our lives profoundly. We are very impressionable when growning up, and in the school years. Its great to leave a lasting good impression on the young. I pray that I have done that also at some time. Blessings Pam, CM xx

noreen said...

Hi Pamela, you indeed were blessed by your experience with Mr. Muir. I can imagine your teenage years being puzzled by his interest in your soul! But it was a blessing that he was to you and all of the other children he came in contact with.

Laura said...

Isn't it amazing the difference one person can make? It renews my strength to hear stories like these. So many times we plant those seeds and don't see the growth, but hearing a story like this is like watching a bud bloom right open before my eyes! So glad you linked up with Playdates today, Pam. Lovely to visit with you.

Nancy said...

I'm willing to bet, if Mr. Muir read your tribute, he would be humbled by your tribute. I am so thankful for the faithful saints who brought Jesus near to me throughout my childhood (even if I didn't appreciate them at the time). Thank you for honoring this dear man in this way. Blessings.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Three cheers for everyone who helps us grow . . . grow . . . grow.

Fondly,
Glenda

LeAnn said...

I loved your thoughts on angels. I do feel we have ministering angels even guardian angels for the other side. We also have angels in the form of friends and family.
That was a lovely tribute to Mr. Muir. I too think you have a real talent in writing.
Thanks for the thoughts you express on my posts.
Blessings to you!

tinuviel said...

What a marvelous gift to have a faithful principal like that. This is quite an amazing testimony to me. (There were some Christian teachers in my public schools but they were not free to bear this sort of witness.) Thank you for sharing it.

no spring chicken said...

What an amazing contrast to my public school counseling...

Blessings, Debbie

BECKY said...

What a precious story, Pamela. Indeed we all have those special people in our lives that show us Christ and help us in our goal to be more like Him. What a blessing!
Have a wonderful Friday and weekend!
Joyfully,
Becky

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Pamela,
The world is full of 'angels' in many guises. How wonderful to have met one.

God Bless
Barb from Australia

Sleepyeyed Rhon said...

As a young child we moved around a lot so I never really had any "good memories" of educating years...until 7th grade...in this little itty bitty rural town of about 500 the school was very God/Country minded. In my homeroom class we always set the pledge of Allegiance to the Flag and read a scripture from the Bible and said a prayer before starting our school day....it was not long before we could no longer do such...I am thankful that though I did not have the educational background as you that our Heavenly Father made sure his Word was deposited in my heart along my youthful journey...it has kept me as I grew older and still remains.

Jennifer said...

I love the imagery of the angel telling the grass to grow and how you used that image to tell Mr. Muir's story. What a beautiful post!

Shanda said...

I so praise God for those who whispered "Grow" into my as I grew. We need to be more intentional about every child or young person we work with! What an honor you have given Mr. Muir.

SImple and Serene Living said...

What a lovely story. Thanks so much for following my blog and I am so happy to have found yours also.
Laura

betty-NZ said...

I have to agree with the others that your story is genuinely lovely. It's nice to honor those who helped us become the person we are today.