Saturday, July 16, 2011

Welcoming Home Sheltering





Close your eyes and tap your heels together three times.  And think to yourself, "There's no place like home."  ~The Wizzard of Oz

I was alone this week.  Many of you know RB is working on another degree.   He's required to spend several weeks at the main campus in Missouri -- this was his first time to go.  Emily works in a Daycare in Indianapolis and stays there during the week.  Between the two, this left my home quite empty. 


I was careful not to mention it -- I've read one too many thrillers and I was sure some menacing person would read it and dismember me, stuff me in a suitcase (okay, a steamer trunk), bury me in their garage and pour new cement over me.  When I came home Wednesday and my back door was standing wide open I thought someone had found me in spite of my silence.  But it was still sunlight and menacing people don't seem quite so, well, menacing in the daytime.  I just looked through my closets and under my bed and felt quite certain the only threatening thing was a dust ball or two and a few portentous spiders  staking their claim.

I did grab all four grandchildren for a night which livened the house and spent another evening with Melanie. But I still counted the days until Friday when all would return to normal in the Kuhn home.  On Thursday RB texted me and asked me to pray; he was just so weary and still had a day and a half of presentations and classes. In my reply I suggested that he stay over Friday night and get some sleep before he started home.  I loved his reply: "No, no, no!  I will take cat naps."


Catching up:
We've found him on the sofa, in the bed and chair.

My heart filled with his response.  He wanted to be home!  Just where I wanted him to be.  Thursday was a long day -- seemed Friday would never come.  Then Friday, I waited for his call, knowing he couldn't leave until noon.  His first call indicated the GPS showed he would arrive at 9:37, but I knew he'd have to eat and stop for the nap snippets.  We kept in touch by phone -- I even woke him during one of the cat naps.  Finally he had made his final pit stop -- he was headed straight for home.  11:37 was the new arrival time.  Emily and I heard the car pull in and we both breathed praise for his safety.  He was home!

Over and over today I've been thinking about home...my heavenly home.  I received a prayer chain message about a dear lady who is close to heaven.  I remember the times she told us, "I may as well just go home."  Like Paul, our friend knew "that when these bodies of ours are taken down like tents and folded away, they will be replaced by resurrection bodies in heaven—God-made, not handmade—and we'll never have to relocate our "tents" again. Sometimes we can hardly wait to move—and so we cry out in frustration. Compared to what's coming, living conditions around here seem like a stopover in an unfurnished shack, and we're tired of it! We've been given a glimpse of the real thing, our true home, our resurrection bodies! The Spirit of God whets our appetite by giving us a taste of what's ahead. He puts a little of heaven in our hearts so that we'll never settle for less" (2 Corinthians 1:1-5).

How I feel to have RB safely home.

Our family homecoming this weekend was sweet -- even though Emily beat me to the first kiss.  Today I looked at the three of us sitting together and smiled.  All was right in my world.  But just think of our arrival in Heaven -- the home Jesus is preparing for us -- the home we carry a bit of in our hearts.  The home of our Heavenly Father...

But just think of stepping on shore--
                                 And finding it Heaven!
Of touching a hand -- And finding it God's!
Of breathing new air -- and finding it celestial!
Of waking up in glory -- And finding it home!
                                                    ~L. E. Singer

As I was writing these final words, another song started it's melody in my heart. (Can you tell I'm married to a musician?)  This is my response to the desire for my Heavenly home.

But until then, my heart will go on singing,
Until then, with joy I'll carry on.
Until the day, my eyes behold that city.
Until the day God calls me home.
                                                   ~Stuart Hamblin


* * * * *

Welcome Home Snack Mix

What do you do to welcome someone you love home?  Are the candles lit, fresh flowers sitting in a vase and maybe a snack ready to eat?  Our family is all about the crunchy and this satisfies the need to crunch.

4 cups frosted flakes cereal
4 cups sweetened puffed corn cereal
2 Tbsp. butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup dried cherries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine cereals in large bowl. Melt 2 T. butter in jelly roll pan. In large saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, 1/4 cup butter and salt. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour over cereals and mix well. Place in buttered jelly roll pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Cool hot mixture for 10 minutes, remove from pan and stir in dried cherries. Place on waxed
paper to cool.

I had enough left over to share. I filled the jar then added the bow. It was a wide ribbon but had a silver edging that I didn't like for this project. I jaggedly cut it off and tied it around the jar. Added the flower and punched a tag (added an initial to it to personalize) and attached it with a paper clip.

What's your favorite "Welcome Home" food?




20 comments:

Holly said...

So glad he made it home safely! The welcome home snack sounds yummy! Might have to try it soon. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful site, Pamela. I'll be back for sure!

(and thank you for visiting aplaceforthoughts.com the other day)

Anonymous said...

Glad your RB made it home safely. God's blessings are truly good!
The Welcome Home snack looks and sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Ruth said...

This really hit 'home' for me this week. I traveled to see my son and granddaughters out of state, leaving my loving husband behind. We kept in touch by phone. He felt the separation more keenly being the one left at home while I reveled in catching up with family. Upon returning and entering the kitchen he had a beautiful bouquet of flowers waiting to welcome me home.
The two songs you shared were mainstays during the time of intense greiving after my first husband died. Thank you for sharing them!
Heaven is constantly beckoning.
Our new home is waiting. What a hope!

Esther Asbury said...

Just finished welcoming home a Navy friend from deployment yesterday! Made his favorite foods (and lots of them) and topped it off with chocolate cakes! His telling me it was the best food he'd eaten in 6 months (AND the 2 + heaping plates that he ate) were all the gratitude a cook for ask for!

no spring chicken said...

Another beautiful reminder of how blessed we are to be loved and cared for here, and that we will be even more richly blessed in our true home.

My family was gone for the weekend~ helping oldest daughter and son-in-law move into a new apartment, then on to the wedding of one of my sons best friends. We stayed with dear friends who prepared our guest house with fresh flowers in a vase, ribbon tied lavender on each of our pillows, and a large bowl of fresh cherries on the table!

It is GOOD to be loved and fussed over!!

Blessings, Debbie

Anonymous said...

We both seem to have a love of old hymns/lyrics, Pamela. Have a blessed afternoon.

Sharon said...

Oh, so glad to hear that both you AND RB made it through the week. It's funny how an empty home can be so very silent. We just miss the voices and the hearts that fill it.

Is that how God looks at us while we're "away from home" here on earth? I think He does. I'll bet He longs for our presence with Him, too - just like we feel our hearts called to be home with Him.

What a wonderful homecoming it's going to be!

I'm hoping the angels will be serving Welcome Home Snack Mix!

GOD BLESS, Pamela.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

A whole week with no one to bring you tea . . . too long. Glad RB is home and glad we all will be HOME someday.

Just a favor . . . for us that love you and your blog . . . next time the door is open . . . get someone to go in the house with you, okay? You are too brave.

When my husband comes home from a trip I always make chili or spaghetti - his two favorites. Your mix sounds great.

Fondly,
Glenda

Cathy said...

I enjoyed your sweet post, Dear.

Elizabeth Griffin said...

Glad he made it home safe. Can't wait to try the recipe!

Elizabeth Griffin

Carolyn said...

I am encouraged by your love for your family. Also enjoyed reading your post about your family.

Tiffini said...

Happy your love is home. I love being home and when I'm away I miss it. Silly maybe?:)
Happy RB is home and for your routine to return to its normal...and I stopped watching those movies period because I would scare myself silly:) I laughed when I read your words because I have felt the same way!
xo

Breathing In Grace said...

You are absolutely one of the sweetest, kindest people I've ever...not met!!! ;-) HOPE you have a wonderful, blessed week!!!

a joyful noise said...

I enjoyed your story of waiting for RB to make it home. We are often anxious for the arrival of our loved ones to make it home safely. How we welcome them back with joy. I wonder if my grandparents who are there in heaven waiting -- are anxious for my Mother and others to arrive. Mother is 99 and it appears she will make it to 100.

Unknown said...

Leaving this earth used to scare me -- and even now, the thought of leaving my children can undo me -- but ever since my grandmother went Home, I'm a little less afraid. In fact, some days, I just can't wait to see her. I love how you paint this picture of coming home. So glad yours are safe and sound!

Charlotte said...

It is certainly true there is no place like home, If we know that to be true now how much more will it be true in the next life. Thank you for sharing your heart.
Blessings,
Charlotte

MarieElizabeth said...

No matter how far you go, home will always pull you back. I will also pray for your husbands success in his program and safe returns from those difficult weeks away.

Send Flowers Online said...

So luck to come across your excellent blog. Your blog brings me a great deal of fun.. Good luck with the site.

Studio Mommy said...

Hi! I’m following your blog. Please stop by and say hi when you get a chance. If you’re ever interested in a blog makeover please let me know. Take a look at my portfolio and packages when you get a chance. Hope you are having a Sweet Week.

April
A Mommy’s Blog Design Studio
Join us every Friday for our Blog Hop!
Review and Giveaway Blog Directory
If you feature Reviews and Giveaways come add your blog here!