Saturday, August 27, 2011

What Shall We See


And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal. ~Revelation 21:10-11


Pops of green from the outdoor forest. Shades of breathtaking blue and purple painting the sky. Deep, crimson red from a bouquet of roses. Dancing clown with colorful getup. The horse's silky mane whispering through the wind as he gallops through the valley. The balanced acrobat walking the tightrope. The sun reflecting on the shimmering sand. What if we couldn't see all this beauty?


Sight has been on my mind since things have changed in our household. It began when I spotted an obnoxious long blink that my son, Landon, engaged in when trying to focus on something in particular. I thought it might be dry eyes.  To the eye doctor we headed before he started kindergarten. A proper diagnosis confirmed the need -- glasses for Landon.


Of course you want your kids to have a ‘perfect’ body and never have big problems…you are laughing, right? Come on, crazy woman! I came home and spoke my feelings  to my husband – “He’s only five! He has to wear glasses.” (In other words, not perfect.) My husband responded quickly with “It’s life, and just go on.”  Count your blessings, right?


Yes, I realize that now, and have an overwhelming feeling of God’s ‘perfect perfection’  for my family’s physical wellbeing. As I dropped the boys off at school this morning, we were early, so hesitated a moment;  I leaned back from the driver's seat,  and Ethan held my hand as we thanked God for many things – including the vision He has granted us.


To see the beauty around us and be independent while living in our world – how magnificent!
We have spent lots of time talking about Heaven lately. The kids have asked questions -- and  wish I could remember them all..…One child didn’t want to go to Heaven forever and was sobbing while asking if bikes would be in Heaven. Another question popped up this week -- you guessed it: Will we need glasses in Heaven?

Oh, I want to see Him – look upon His face!
There to sing forever of His saving grace.
On those streets of glory, let me hear my voice.
Cares all past, home at last, ever to rejoice.
~William Dunn Longstaff

Although our minute minds struggle with giving others a true picture of Heaven, we can share with them what God has given us in His Word. And why not act enthusiastic and mix it with imagination? …Hmm…Maybe the swing set in Heaven will be such fun you will never want to stop…and maybe won’t have to slow down – because you will never need to catch your breath, cool down, or get rested up…See? Aren’t you excited? See you at the playground!

* * * * *


I used to do this fun clapping poem with friends and now with my own children…I dare you to click on the link, listen to the music, and explore your inner child today! Have fun! http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/playmate.htm

Oh, little playmate, come out and play with me
And bring your dollies three,
Climb up my apple tree,
Look down my rain barrel,
 Slide down my cellar door,
And we’ll be jolly friends forever more!


Linked to:




24 comments:

Elizabethd said...

I do remember as a child, the feeling of being different because I had glasses. But nowadays, so many children seem to need them.
We do want perfection for our children, but that is rarely possible.

Misty said...

Wonderful post.. my five year old, nine year old and eleven year old all wear glasses.. and I don't! I think they are perfect, and look so cute in their frames as does your son!

Thank you for sharing this today, have a blessed weekend.

Misty

Renee said...

Oh, I like the idea of swinging as high and as long as I want to again...just like when I was a child..laughing, singing, free from my body's aches and pains. Yes, will we need glasses in Heaven? I just finished Heaven Is For Real which gives us a glimpse of heaven from the eyes of a child who has been there and back. Fascinating. God bless.

Karen said...

I very much enjoyed this post and I remember those lyrics!

Anonymous said...

When I was little, I pretended to need glasses so mom would take me to the eye doctor. I wanted to be fashionable and wear those cat's eye frames with rhinestones that were popular in the 1060's. Boy, did I get in trouble when the doctor found me to be a fake!

Today, wearing glasses is quite a pain - but I am so very grateful for them, otherwise I wouldn't be able to read - YA! - and I wouldn't be able to soak in all the beauty of God's creation.

One day - all will be perfection . . .

Joy!
Miss Kathy

Jeanie Cullip said...

My niece at the age of 7 finally found out that she needed glasses and not just any glasses but bottle glass glasses!

Over the years we were so concerned with her behavior, and now that she can see clearer her life is completely changed.

When I asked her what she thinks of her new glasses, she replied.. I love being able to see how beautiful you are!

a latte of blessings & giggles,
Jeanie

Katharine said...

Wonderful post! My daughter was five as well when she got her first pair of glasses. Blessings on your day!

Angela said...

The gift of sight is one of the senses that so many people take for granted. My mother has been completely blind for years and it is so pitiful. She is now in the nursing home and on hospice and we are waiting for God to end her journey on this earth and take her home where there will never be darkness for her again. I really think not being able to see played a big part in the fact that now her mind is really bad also. Please keep her in your prayers. Your son looks cute in his glasses. He will be fine as so many of us wear glasses now. Have a blessed Sunday.
Angela
Thru Nanas Window

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely post!

Anonymous said...

You know both my boys had "good vision" but I can relate to the feelings of "less perfect". When I was in my early 30's .. struggling with "who I was and what was my purpose" ...I discovered me squinting at road signs ...so off to the doc I go and yes ...well you're not going to put frames on my face...that will make me look "less perfect" ..oh tis vanity ....it took me forever "sadly" to overcome the feeling of being less perfect than those that did not have to wear glasses...finally I realized < finally > that who I am and my purpose is not the adornment of or less of but the Christ within me..shining bright ...it has been a long painful journey for me...I was one vain lady ...but has been gracious and full of tender mercies towards me...thanks for the reminder this morning of how far Jehovah God has brought me ....Hugs from Arkansas

Philip Verghese 'Ariel' said...

Well presented one will come again to read more. Keep posting keep inform
best regards
philip

Cathy said...

My grandson had to have glasses at an early age too. No glasses in heaven, thank the Lord, we will be made whole. That's a cute song. I wrote one for children, "Have a Happy Day" on my Wordsong Collections blog under Children Label I believe. Blessings ~

Rebecca said...

I can relate to the initial disillusionment/disappointment when a child's health is less than "perfect" (by human standards). Your husband had it right, right?!?

Nikki (Sarah) said...

my ten year old has worn glasses since she was five....but your husband is definitely right on....our friend's dgt. had to battle bone cancer. Great post.

Lisa said...

What a sweet post! As a mother I feel your disappointment, but there is such wisdom in your husband's words. And your little one looks so cute in his glasses.:)

Laura said...

I remember when my son first got his glasses. He was so excited at how much better his vision was that he read every sign and license plate all the way home. I felt terrible that I hadn't noticed before that his world was all cloudy. This year he is wearing his first contacts and doing quite well. When he first put them in, he looked in the mirror and said, I feel handsome. He sure is.

I love the little playmates song! Sweet memories for me too. I do so hope there is a swing in heaven. Such a lovely thought!

Laura said...

I remember when my son first got his glasses. He was so excited at how much better his vision was that he read every sign and license plate all the way home. I felt terrible that I hadn't noticed before that his world was all cloudy. This year he is wearing his first contacts and doing quite well. When he first put them in, he looked in the mirror and said, I feel handsome. He sure is.

I love the little playmates song! Sweet memories for me too. I do so hope there is a swing in heaven. Such a lovely thought!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

I remember when I got my first pair of glasses. I was seven and they were like pop bottles. I felt like a freak and kids always teased me. By the time I was thirteen I had stopped wearing them in public. It didn't matter that I couldn't see, vanity had replaced good vision. When I got into my twenties, I was able to wear contacts and they opened up a whole new world for me! Then a few years down the road, I developed cataracts. I was upset at first but now realize they were a blessing in disguise because when I had them removed, the doctor implanted intraocular lenses in my eyes. I no longer need glasses or contacts, only readers. It's like a miracle has been given to me!
I thank God every day that I can see as well as I do. Having worn pop bottles on my face for most of my life, it is like a miracle! Someday, I won't need even the readers because in heaven we won't have any eye problems. Praise His name!
But I do agree with your husband. They are only glasses. At least your son can see.
God bless you and your son. Imagine how far they will have come by the time your little guy is a teenager or an adult.

Blessings,
Sandi

Judy Whatilivefor said...

I've worn glasses since first grade and it was tough at times, but we really are so blessed to have glasses, contacts and vision correction today that make it so we can live normal lives and still see the beautiful world around us!

Lisa notes... said...

I remember doing that clapping poem over and over. :-)

I'm glad we'll all have perfect vision in heaven, but for now I'm very thankful for glasses down here. Good post!

Melanie N. Brasher said...

this is a simply beautiful post. Oh, to have eyes to see Him.

Mel

amanda said...

It made me giggle over what your husband said b/c mine would have said the same thing ... getting ready to click on the link. Thanks for sharing :)

Saleslady371 said...

I love this little jingle. I have been singing it to my granddaughter since she could clap!

Anonymous said...

Melanie ~ What a lovely post, and a wonderful reminder of the joys and beauty of family and raising children. I am single ~ but I so hope God blesses me with little ones someday ~ and I hope I can have the godly insight and lovely words to articulate the beauty of what God creates from the journey of parenthood, that you have so graciously shared!! Thank you for sharing ~ Much Love ~ alice