Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hungering in the Book Store

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles W. Eliot



Oh, glorious day!  The sun is shining and streaming in the window creating a rainbow of sorts.  Bookcase after bookcase filled with books of all genres.  A shaken black tea is by my elbow, a stack of books and magazines waiting to be perused.  I just can't help but smile!

Emily came back from California last night -- actually 1 a.m. this morning.  All gorgeous and sun-kissed.  Bubbling and oh-so-happy with her week.  We gave her a little surprise and brought someone to carry her luggage with us -- which only added to the sparkle in her eyes. We spent the night in the city and  RB had a meeting today with a colleague at the Indy Center so I've been basking in this perfect place for several hours.

Do any of you just ache to read all the books available?  I find myself almost frantic because I want to dip into them all, gathering wisdom and knowledge, feeding my soul on the beautifully crafted words. Choosing a stack to devour is hard.  This stack I chose contained a few I wanted to sit and devour, but, at least in one case, I was uh...no, don't want to waste my time on this.

While I love reading biographies, writing market books, business books and even picture books, I find myself pulled to those which teach me more about my God. Because even more than my craving for general knowledge, I hunger and thirst after righteousness.


Sitting at a table in Barnes and Noble I thought of the changes occurring in my life and was challenged as I read Jason Crabb's "Trusting God to Get You Through."
However many seasons are ahead, they are all chapters of the same journey.  Even the changes we least expect are part of God's plan to lead us where He wants us to be.  However uncomfortable life's surprises might be, they are signals of God's promotions.  With each sift, He draws us up higher to a place where He knows we will need to trust Him more.  It is a place of sweet surrender.
Mother Angelica's "Private and Pithy Lessons" was full of practical and down-to-earth truth.
God wants to tell the world, "I am going to do it."  The weaker we are, the more confidence we should have.  God uses the weak things of the world to confound the strong.  Whether you are a child, an old person, or a sick person, you can be a terror to the invisible foe.  
Henri Nouwen in "Spiritual Direction: Wisdom for the Long Walk," said,
The discipline of the book leads us on the road to true inner obedience.  Through the regular practice of regular meditation we develop an inner ear that allows us to recognize God's Word that speaks directly to our most inner needs and aspirations.  


Then I read in Debbie MacComber's "God's Guest List,"
In real life, God's presents don't always come gaily gift-wrapped, and they are not easily recognized.  Some even initially come looking like challenges.  And often these gifts are people shaped.
Dipping into one chapter then another, I am startled by the phone and the call draws me back into "real life."  It's time to leave this perfect place, but I found a few new friends to put on my Kindle wish list, to devour as I try to satisfy my "hungering and thirsting after righteousness."

With David, I pray, "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So pants my soul for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God."




20 comments:

Rebecca said...

I can so identify with your book "lust" (as I call it). Like any other "lusts" it needs tamed in me. I increasingly find my choices embrace the spiritual "classics".

"Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare."
(Isaiah 55:2)

Sandra said...

Ahh books...you are not alone in your love of books. Yes, I want to read them all, too! :o) We have many, many books in our home many have been read and many more are waiting to be read.

I loved the scripture Rebecca quoted in her comment. It is important to fill our minds and lives with is truly important, what satisfies.

Mindy said...

Just finished reading The Boy Who Changed the World to my boy. Beautiful book and a wonderful message. I LOVE reading, too.

Unknown said...

oh yes, I absolutely love reading. I haven't had time to read as much as I'd like to lately but on the other hand I have been writing a lot.

Wishing you a fantastic week.

Renee said...

Oh, I how I love to read too. I like to say, So many books to read...so little time!
Last year a friend gave me gift cards to Amazon and it was such a precious gift..I call her my book fairy...and I treasure the books I was able to buy.
Today's quotes you shared really spoke to me...the trusting..the surrender...the weakness so God is revealed...it all. Thanks for sharing it today. God spoke to me through your post.

Laurie Collett said...

I love reading the Bible (KJV) most of all, but I also have stacks of books I savor for a few precious moments at a time (more books to read than time to read them, I'm afraid)! But every night I make time for the daily selection from Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest, and last week I was inspired to include a quote of his in my blog, "Saved by Grace." http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/2011/08/come-to-daddy.html
Please check it out and become a follower of my blog if you are so led. I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Send Flowers Online said...

Your blog site post rocks! Good job. Nice working with every point in your blog, keep it up. Keep coming with new ideas, coming again soon

Flights From Lagos To London said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I'm just glad I was been able to visit your site. Keep it up.

Susannah said...

Visiting from LWW at Courtney's blog.

I'm a book-lover too. What would the world look like w/out books? Imagine!

Blessings,

e-Mom @ Chrysalis

Christina said...

Visiting from WLW. I too love books, can't get rid of a single one:) Hubby and I hang out at B&N on date night:) Thanks for sharing!

Peaches Ledwidge said...

I love books, I buy them wherever I can get them.

Jan Hennings said...

Books and Tea, a perfect way to start the day!

Jan Hennings said...

Books and Tea, a perfect way to start the day!

Sharon said...

Yes, Pamela - I'm also a *bookaholic*. I've been saddened by the closing of Border's bookstores. I'm a much bigger fan of Barnes and Noble - but I'm just concerned that bookstores might disappear someday. How I would hate that. I love wandering the shelves, looking at the covers, and reading a few words here and there.

And yes, I am always drawn to the section where I can read about my God.

The book by Jason Crabb sounded wonderful. I'm going to go check that out!

So...I join you in sitting down and enjoying the joy of the written word...and, of course, the written Word!!

GOD BLESS!

amanda said...

I haven't heard of God's Guest List, but I love that quote. All gifts aren't wrapped, often they're shaped. So true!

Hesses Madhouse said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful list and quotes! Sounds like a perfectly heavenly situation to be in--surrounded by so much good. I am better for having been here today.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

What a beautiful stack of books . . . wow.

Fondly,
Glenda

Heart n Soul said...

Funny how all us bloggers just love books - words, language, literature = inspiration.

Rebecca said...

The quote from Debbie MacComber's book is so true. Sometimes we don't recognize a hardship as a gift from God until we are past it and the lesson has been learned.

LivingChicontheCheap said...

Thanks for the follow. I am now following you too! :)

Have a great day!
Jessica