Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sitting Under the Shelter Tree

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.  ~Leo Buscaglia


Encouraging Others
What I love about shelter sightings is that everyone's tree looks just a bit different. I sit under Avis' tree and am blessed by her appreciation of my writings. I sit under Melanie's tree and am sheltered with fun surprises -- a magazine, a container of cookies she baked for her family, a blog link she knows I'll love. I think sometimes we think sheltering is just the big blessings, the big gifts. To me, it's primarily the little things. It's Joann sheltering with a hug, my mother celebrating my writing accomplishments, Janene's "I'm praying for you," and Emily's "Sit still, Momma, I'll get it."



One Autumn sighting I've had is on Stephanie's Somewhat Simple blog. Stephanie came up with a special way to shelter her family by making a fun pumpkin garland. This is what she says: 
This garland is not only cute and festive, it is a sweet reminder of what we love about each person in our family. Now everyone in my family has their own hanging pumpkin telling them just a few of the reasons why their family members love them!
The second sighting is Stacey from A Delightful Home. One of the best things a momma can teach her children is to shelter. I was delighted to find this tree (you know my fixation on trees) card her children made for special people in their lives. She says:
[This is] a sweet (and earth-friendly way) the kids can show love and gratitude to special people in their life. Help your child think of specific things they appreciate about an individual and write them inside. (This is my favorite part. It is always fun to hear what children come up with!)
I've been sheltered the last couple weeks -- among them an invitation to dinner, crisp delicious apples, sweet blog comments and a letter from a blog friend.

I hope reading of these sightings will bless you as well as spark a few ideas of your own. I'd love to hear about them. Remember, it's the love bundled into the gift that blesses -- or as George MacDonald says, “the loving thought.” If instead of a gem, or even a flower, we should cast the gift of a loving thought into the heart of a friend, that would be giving as the angels give.

God's heart smiles when we shelter.

* * * * *



Pumpkin Chocolate Bread

This is one of my new favorite shelter idea. I made it and believe me when I say it’s delicious! No reason for me to recopy the recipe. Go to Amy’s blog at My Name is Snickerdoodle. It makes a large heavy loaf. Next time I’m going to make it in smaller pans.  


And for a gift tag idea, check out these from Esther's at Shoregirl's Creations.   

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

As always - great, ideas. And I agree...it IS primarily the little things...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Autumn Decorations!

New GFC & FB follower here from Thirsty Thursday Hop, http://babyfeetandpuppybreath.blogspot.com/

Hope you can drop in and say hello and follow back.

Have a beautiful day.

Esther Asbury said...

Great shelter sitings! Thanks for sharing and for the link to my leaf gift tags!

Marisa and Brittany said...

Thanks so much Pamela for taking the time to compile such wonderful ideas to make the season a little brighter. Right now it's rainy and dreary in the Midwest and you brought a smile to my face and a warmth to my heart... thank-you!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Every thing and everyone's blogs look so wonderful! Have a great weekend. blessings,Kathleen

LaVonne said...

Very good ideas. I love that pumpkin garland. That is the second time I have seen it online this week. :)

Blessings!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

All fabulouse ideas, and I love the photos. Yum on that delicious looking bread.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

great ideas and the death of that missionary made me sad. She totally sacrificed her all for Him.

Maria said...

thanks for visiting. :)
you have a beautiful blog. my mom just sent me home with pumpkin bread. i love it. and i love your ideas.
it looks so pretty wrapped!
<3
maria

beauty said...

I just read the next few paragraphs. It is my opinion you add a considerable amount of energy to build this particular post. I really thank you for get the job done.

Tabitha said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. Printing the strips for the hanging pumpkins so the kids can get them done and we can hang them for our family to see tomorrow. God Bless you!