Saturday, March 10, 2012

"Just Cut It Off" -- Sheltering My Temple

"The secret of success is constancy of purpose."
~Benjamin Disraeli


I was becoming weary of numerous (and regular) comments we would hear upon arriving at church or a social outing. “Wow, look at his long hair!” – “It’s in his eyes…” – “He has so much hair!”

Now, I understand that these comments were purely conversation starters, etc. And…every word was true. Yes, Camron (awaiting his first birthday) DID have long hair, he DID have it hanging in his eyes (even after trimming twice!) and he DID have ‘So. Much. Hair!’ But for silly traditions’ sake, for ‘this is mommy’s last baby’s” sake, and the “we waited until the first birthday with the other two boys” speeches’ sake, we endured until chocolate cake had been smashed on that cute little ‘baby’ face. Then off we went the next week to seek a cleaner, older toddler look.

Sure, it bothered me at times and I was truly ready for that Wednesday when we went to our favorite stylist to sever Camron’s lengthy strands of hair.  Now all I can do is remember what this poor baby looked like – his silky strands would lay down so smoothly, but covered his eyes.  He looked like a little girl instead of a boy to those who saw him for the first time. No doubt his grooming (or seeming lack thereof) gave the impression of being unkempt instead of a picture of cleanliness/togetherness.

And then it was cut off. How beautiful! I am sure His outlook changed – he could see! He was even lighter; freer. His happy mommy thought her baby BOY looked adorable.

A few weeks later I had something I love cut off from my life. Now, it was nothing serious. Just a special something I enjoy that wasn’t readily at my disposal for a week or so. Ouch. Not fun at first. But it got better. So, guess what being ‘cut off’ meant to me?

It gave me a clear vision of my surroundings and time to see what God’s will is for my everyday life. Sure, you can look like a great person that accomplishes things with ease and not much effort, but what is your actual calling? I needed to focus more on the things that mattered. When I brushed away the non-important things, slowly I was able to concentrate on the blessings God has given me.

Do you have a long list of ‘things’ that need cut off from your everyday life? Do you have these things clouding the vision God has entrusted you to carry out? Do you look like a not-so-good version of yourself? Sometimes being cut off from something can be a good thing. It gives a fresh perspective, a happy you, happier people around you, and last but not least, makes you look more like the real you should look like.

And now, case in point. I need to cut myself off from working on this entry and go feed lunch to my four (patiently waiting) hungry children…

Linked to:




21 comments:

Glenda said...

I am reminded of the Scripture that tells us to lay aside the weights - anything that hinders our journey. And we all have those things in our lives from time to time. Thanks for your beautifully-written reminder.

Tracy said...

Melanie, lovely metaphor for ridding our lives of 'excess'...great post!

Mrs. Smith said...

Hey there Melanie,
Wonderful post--definitely puts me in heart search mode. I love visiting here--always so inspiring! Have a great Sunday!

Rebecca Nelson said...

Excellent post!

xoRebecca

Jane said...

Wonderful post! I had to cut myself off from a group of ladies recently. Whenever we got together, it would eventually end up becoming a gossip session. I detest gossiping but I never could figure out how to steer the conversation away from it. Cutting myself off meant I'm alone more, but that's OK because now I have more time to do the things I love, like gardening. I always feel nearer to God while I'm outside enjoying His creation.

Sharon said...

Melanie,
This was a great post. I can vividly remember the same comments about my two sons when they were little. My oldest had very straight hair, and it was just so beautiful and shiny that I had a hard time watching it get cut off into a "big boy haircut." And then, my youngest had the cutest curls. That haircut might even have been tougher!

But I just loved the lesson that you gave - and yes, there are many *things* that God needs to "trim" off of my life. Although, in my case, it's probably more like a good pruning!!

GOD BLESS!

Nikki (Sarah) said...

Great analogy and this little guy is adorable.

Lisa notes... said...

Oh, he's so cute--with long or short hair, I'm sure!

"The secret of success is constancy of purpose."
What a beautiful quote; I needed to hear that message.

And the message of having things cut off. I feel a part of me has been cut off for a month now with issues going on at my church. But I want to see it as you say, that perhaps it is a good thing, to give me a fresh perspective, to make me look more like the real me I should look like.

I'm so glad I dropped in.

Laura said...

Well, I think he looks just perfect :). What a beautiful boy you have there. There are many things that I have had to prune over the years and still working with the shears. Such wisdom in these words, Pamela.

Laura said...

Oh! Pardon me, Melanie! I see that you are the author of this lovely reflection. I enjoyed reading it very much.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Melanie ... I can relate to both parts of this wonderful post. First, I got my hair cut short last week, and my husband loves it, the stylist loves and I love it. It just makes me look so much better, like who I am on the inside.

The second part, well, over the past 6 months I have withdrawn myself off from a friendship. I feel as if it was the right thing to do, but it seems odd. I have much more time to concentrate on my family and my writing, etc. and am not bogged down by the drama of others.

Thanks for helping me to think about the benefits of cutting things off.

Kathy M.

Esther Asbury said...

Great post Melanie -- I've often found that fasting things (cutting them off for a time) produces the clearer view you are speaking of! Thanks for the great reminder!

Anonymous said...

It seems that this is the message the LORD has been "downloading into my drive"....separation unto HIM....allowing HIM to cut off that which hinders, blocks HIS Plans and Purposes for my life....BTW...what a cutie you have there....with the long hair he was adorable and also with the short version of adorable he still shines! wink wink

Just Be Real said...

Pam, wonderful post with great meaning. He is a cutie. Blessings.

agreenearth said...

Well said, I need to cut off from my blogging at this moment to go and volunteer at my local community garden. We need that bigger picture to keep all things in balance.

kd sullivan said...

My husband and I have been fasting television for a while. It has been especially hard for him, but the longer he goes and the harder it is he has realized what an idol it had become. Sometimes we think that there's truly nothing to do if we don't have television...Cutting things that we spend much time doing can be such a healthy thing, because the reveal to us what we can be doing instead...

Charlotte said...

Your little boy is a cutie. I like the way you used his hair as a way to introduce an important question - a question we all should be asking ourselves. Thank you for that.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Karen said...

What a handsome birthday boy! I know you are so proud of Camron!

A Magical Whimsy said...

Please do pray for my sister. She has triplets who are seven, and her nine year old son (almost ready to be ten in April) She just 'lost' her computer or I would be sending her, your link, as she and I both love our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
One of her triplets spilled water on her computer keyboard and it shorted out. So that is one thing in her life she was dependent on, as she is in Massachusetts waiting to sell their house, while her hubby has to job hop to Minnesota a year ago. He has been able to 'come home' several times over the year on job related scenarios. His birthday is tomorrow and this is the first time in 22 years he will not be able to be home for his birthday. My sister just 'took in' a 19 year old sweet Christian girl, whose family has disowned her for religious reasons, she has almost led an Amish lifestyle and was turned out of her home when she began questioning religious abuse in her own family. Please pray for this situation. I am in California 3,000 miles away from my sister.
She had just begun an uplifting blog called 'in the vapor' and it was very soon after that, that Satan began his attack on her. She is also fighting a severe case of Lyme Disease. But she is cheerful and knows God knows all things.
Bless you for your blog,
Teresa

Shanda said...

Great analogy. We are to run the race and throw off all that hinders us. I actually drew back the last couple days and stayed home...by myself...and just spent time in the Word and working on what He had for me to do. I need to do that more often.

HeARTworks said...

Great post melanie! There is something I have to cut off but it's so addicting! :^) soon....